ADVERTISEMENT

I brought my dad some tomatoes

mikw36

Sooner commitment
Gold Member
Jan 20, 2002
A couple of weeks ago I brought my dad some tomatoes. My dad is an 87year old veteran. His life is not one that will be wrote about or celebrated by many. He won't have buildings named after him or charities named after him. He is just a common guy. I called him told him I would be by. He wanted to come down from his apartment to get them. He said he wanted to feel the sun on his face. As I set at the picnic table and talked my heart became filled with sorry. I'm looking at this man that I have known all my life. He no longer is able to do things like he used to. I looked at his hands and they are fragile the skin is thin. These are the same hands that I have seen rope cattle, build fence, haul milk with. They were once callus and strong but not anymore. His breathing was labored. We set and talked OU football mostly. He is a sooner all the way. For the last 5 years he justifies living another year to see the Sooner win another championship. After we got done visiting and I was leaving watching him in my rear view mirror, he was using his walker and barely able to shuffle his feet, I broke down and started crying. I know the chances of him making another sooner season is not likely. I just couldn't help myself. Well Saturday night I got a call I was not looking for. Dad had fell and was in the hospital. He broke his hip from the fall and has to have hip replacement surgery today. His chances don't look good. I know this is something you have to go through but it just breaks my heart. I feel fortunate to have had him as my father for 87 years. I know it is selfish but I want to have him for 88 years. Guys I believe that Jesus is my savoir and that does bring me hope. If you don't believe that is your right to believe I don't judge that I don't have the authority. If you do believe though you might say a prayer for him today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News