ADVERTISEMENT

How is everybody holding up?

I haven’t missed a day of work yet due to the oil related work we do. I run CNC machines and can listen to Amazon unlimited all day. I somehow let my love for music wain in the last few years and now it has become the one of my coping mechanisms along with FaceTime with the grandkids. We have got to be within 8 feet but nothing compares to actually holding a squishy one year old.
Also got my lawn done and now I have to kill some moles. Got me a new mower right before this went down.
Wife lost her job but we are debt free so we are ok.
I feel bad for those who aren’t.
Lots of wondering when this will be over and lots of praying that we make it through this.

Stay safe!

Defense Industry for me. No missed work, since we're "exempt." Funny though how all of our government customers are all at home and really restrict their meeting times to certain, favorable times of the day for them - even better than banking hours. And they haven't budged one bit on expectations of deliverables and accomplishments.... all program milestones are unchanged.

I've been a one man pest control company for 38 years and change. In Texas, pest control is considered an "essential service." That's a designation that means, I still get to work. The interesting thing is that work is more easily accomplished. Traffic that is normally messy all day of every work day, is even easily navigated during the drive time "congestion." I get to places in 15-20 minutes that typically take three times that.

And... I'm in love. Navigating that during this stay home stuff is a challenge. She lives in Richardson, in Dallas County, which has very restrictive rules. She won't come to my house. Collin County is much less restrictive. But her housemates don't love me going over there. Well, at least one of them. But we're figuring it out.

Bought her a ring just before all the stores closed, but she's making me wait until we've dated for a year, before I can pop any questions. Life for me, during this mess, is better than it was for a decade before that.

Last edited:
I've been a one man pest control company for 38 years and change. In Texas, pest control is considered an "essential service." That's a designation that means, I still get to work.

And... I'm in love. Navigating that during this stay home stuff is a challenge. She lives in Richardson, in Dallas County, which has very restrictive rules. She won't come to my house. Collin County is much less restrictive. But her housemates don't love me going over there. Well, at least one of them. But we're figuring it out.

Bought her a ring just before all the stores closed, but she's making we wait until we've dated for a year, before I can pop any questions. Life for me, during this mess, is better than it was for a decade before that.

...so, you're sayin' I lost my chance, @Plainosooner :( And here I was finally getting a decent head of hair, again...long enough to pull back a tiny ponytail! :D

Congrats, sir!!! :cool:

I've been a one man pest control company for 38 years and change. In Texas, pest control is considered an "essential service." That's a designation that means, I still get to work.

Bought her a ring just before all the stores closed, but she's making we wait until we've dated for a year, before I can pop any questions. Life for me, during this mess, is better than it was for a decade before that.

I’m very happy for you Plaino. A nice feel good post.

Yesterday wife and I dined at older daughter's near empty steakhouse beginning at 2 PM. Son-in-law said lunch crowd was bigger than expected. Daughter made us wear masks till we were seated. Salt and pepper were served from packets. No shakers allowed. I ordered high margin tea. I usually order free water.

Skeleton crew. Many employees refused to return till state unemployment benefits run out. HELP WANTED signs hung on double entrance doors. I had planned larger tips at reopen but settled on usual 20%.

I talked last night to Colleyville house builder buddy. He said he dined at his favorite Dallas restaurant at 7 PM. His server told him their opening day they served almost no one.

The company I work for which has about 30000 employees all across the United States has all of us working remote from our homes. I miss those I worked with, but working remote is going relatively smoothly. My wife and I alternate who is going to the grocery store, but each of us from time to time get stir crazy. I miss the golf course and my wife misses her activities like Pelote and an exercise class. We do get pizzas to go which
makes meals almost seem normal. I really miss watching sports on TV which makes watching TV really boring.
One thing that is troublesome is our oldest daughter has worked for 25 years for an Auto rental .company (the nation's largest) and she was furloughed 5 weeks ago and then laid off with almost all of their employees. In these five weeks she has gotten zero dollars from unemployment.
Her husband worked for the same company got laided off and he is getting zero dollars also. The unemployment system in Oklahoma is completely screwed up with so many people laid off. They like all of us have bills to pay with no money coming in they should be getting money from unemployment. They do have a savings account they are dipping into.. Its been five weeks and they are not getting the unemployment money they are entitled to get. It really pisses me off how inept the Unemployment Commission is in Oklahoma.

Last edited:
One son is an EMT and has been working 13-hour shifts at the hospital, screening patients and visitors. He's seen a few COVID patients and thankfully has not tested positive. He said they've been overwhelmed with food from local restaurants, but he said that dropped off dramatically this week as restaurants opened this week with restrictions. The other son works in a kitchen and has been out of work for six weeks. He was called back to work on Friday, but only worked four hours, cooking for six customers, before being sent home early. He was very nervous about going to work in the first place, but the owner provided masks for the skeleton crew. He'll be lucky to get 20 hours this week, so it's going to take some time before people feel good about getting out. The wife and I are retired, so we're good staying home for the time being.

The oldest son is a commercial pilot...has been for almost 10 years, now. He's in a comfortable place in the seniority standings in his company, but has decided to take a voluntary leave of absence for the next 2 months.

Pilot son & his wife live in TUL, but he's based at ORD, so the reduction in flts makes his commute each way iffy at best. His last scheduled trip was supposed to be a full 4 day trip. It ended up being a 1 leg flt, then he had to deadhead back to ORD & commute home to TUL. Monetarily it's just not worth making the trip. Fortunately, they were prepared for this very unexpected situation.

Become a pilot they said...
There is going to be a pilot shortage they said...
Prayers for all who are not so fortunate...

The oldest son is a commercial pilot...has been for almost 10 years, now. He's in a comfortable place in the seniority standings in his company, but has decided to take a voluntary leave of absence for the next 2 months.

Pilot son & his wife live in TUL, but he's based at ORD, so the reduction in flts makes his commute each way iffy at best. His last scheduled trip was supposed to be a full 4 day trip. It ended up being a 1 leg flt, then he had to deadhead back to ORD & commute home to TUL. Monetarily it's just not worth making the trip. Fortunately, they were prepared for this very unexpected situation.

Become a pilot they said...
There is going to be a pilot shortage they said...
Prayers for all who are not so fortunate...

This is a flat out lie. Sockless is not old enough to have an airplane pilot son. Maybe a young son who wants to be a pilot when he grows up!!!

It's been OK, I've been working from my home office for about a month now. I mask up and venture out to the store a couple of times a week. We lost our anniversary trip to wine country last month, but oh well. We spend a lot of time on the patio, have our personal trainer come to the house and just relax. As long as the grocery stores, liquor stores and dispensaries stay open I am good.

ADVERTISEMENT