ADVERTISEMENT

Hicks goes Texas A&M...

Yeah glad I wasted no money on the insider sites who know absolutely jack.

I think this is probably indicative of where CFB is heading. The NFL will be more balanced moving forward than CFB.

I know it is year 1 for the current staff. Selling religion and family vs. paying players, while admirable, will not get it done.

So, yeah we have some issues.

I think this is probably indicative of where CFB is heading. The NFL will be more balanced moving forward than CFB.

I know it is year 1 for the current staff. Selling religion and family vs. paying players, while admirable, will not get it done.

Gotta pay for the athletes brother. Who's willing to write the bigger check? The game has changed right before OUr eyes.

Reactions: Soonerborn59

Would you rather play for a cuck? Hicks would.

Gotta pay for the athletes brother. Who's willing to write the bigger check? The game has changed right before OUr eyes.
Yeah, hence why my soul is crushed (if I had one). The SEC will collapse under its own weight with Bama, Georgia, and the TX schools paying for best talent while the rest are just perennial beatdowns waiting to happen. Schools that can jump up every 4 yrs or so will be mid-tier which we will become but we will not compete regularly at the top.

I think an "expanded" playoff is just window dressing. There is a difference making the playoff and winning at that level.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
I’m going to get slammed by a few….maybe a lot of board members….but OU will not compete for players via the NIL. Read into that whatever you want. We just don’t have the juice willing to compete with the big money. So the question is???

I’m going to get slammed by a few….maybe a lot of board members….but OU will not compete for players via the NIL. Read into that whatever you want. We just don’t have the juice willing to compete with the big money. So the question is???
Agreed. Mediocrity is only a matter of time for us under this current system.
CFB will be worse than the NFL before the salary cap.

And if any of us were in his situation, what would we do?
Take the money and wait a year to transfer is my guess. Assuming there is not a contract in place to prevent that from happening.

Regardless, when A$M comes to the table you may not get developed, and you may not win consistently (yet) but you get paid.

Reactions: Oklabama

I think your right except on the point of family and religion. I’d rather not win a single game then have a team loaded with players who live a life without God and Faniy being the core value of whatever it is it is they are trying to achieve.

I think your right except on the point of family and religion. I’d rather not win a single game then have a team loaded with players who live a life without God and Faniy being the core value of whatever it is it is they are trying to achieve.
Good luck winning games with "God" as your copilot while the other side is stacked with NFL talent.
Under your thesis, why even play football? Just have your Kool-Aid sessions and call it good.

Reactions: 8085sooner
I’m going to get slammed by a few…. maybe a lot of board members…. but OU will not compete for players via the NIL. Read into that whatever you want. We just don’t have the juice willing to compete with the big money. So, the question is???
The money grabbing whore mentality is gaining momentum... the rich get richer and fewer.

Dabo's done well. Just throwing that out there brother. 😁
Dabo has done tremendously well, but his team didn’t even make it to the ACC Championship game last year. It remains to be seen how he will do moving forward with the NIL and transfer portal taking center stage.

Reactions: ShamWowed
Dabo has done tremendously well, but his team didn’t even make it to the ACC Championship game last year. It remains to be seen how he will do moving forward with the NIL and transfer portal taking center stage.
Obviously as are most programs my man. Nil runs the show now. 👍

The Aggies have thrown big money the last 2 years at 5 star dlineman and they're still going. We've lost 2, 5 star legacies and now Hicks

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
It doesnt matter how much A$M spends as with Jimbo they will never win crap.

They will be just like the Yankees and Dodgers. Spend all that money and win occassionally the championship once every 7-8 years. How many years has it been for the Yankees now.

Last edited:
It doesnt matter how much A$M spends as with Jimbo they will never win crap.

They will be just like the Yankees and Dodgers. Spend all that money and win occassionally the championship once every 7-8 years. How many years has it been for the Yankees now.
Yankees have won only two World Series in 22 years (2000 and 2009) .... or since Brian Cashman became GM.
And I believe that under current ownership and GM Cashman with his reckless spending and failure to develop young talent, the team will remain a franchise of past glories.
The team has never replaced Jeter at SS, O'Neill in RF, Bernie Willams in CF, Posada at catcher, Martinez at 1B, closer Mariano Rivera and pitchers like Pettitte, Cone, Wells, Clemens, Key, Mussina or Sabathia.
As I approach 74 years and after seeing ten championships through the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's and late 1990's, I'm resigned to the fact that I have seen my last Yankees championship.
I'm hoping I see another OU championship after 22 seasons, especially now that the bar has been raised with entry into the SEC.

Good luck winning games with "God" as your copilot while the other side is stacked with NFL talent.
Under your thesis, why even play football? Just have your Kool-Aid sessions and call it good.
The point is your have to have morals in every aspect of life even if it costs you what you want. What profits a man if he gains the whole world but loses his own soul?

Dabo's done well. Just throwing that out there brother. 😁
Agreed. However, his most notable success was prior to this pay the players system. We will see how he fairs in the next few years. Also, he does have geography more so on his side with recruiting in my humble opinion. Not everyone on the east coast is going to Georgia and Bama. Lastly, he has the easiest ticket to the playoffs as the ACC is rarely stacked with good teams.
I'm not saying the B12 is murderers row, but top to bottom it is better in my opinion.

The point is your have to have morals in every aspect of life even if it costs you what you want. What profits a man if he gains the whole world but loses his own soul?
Depends on if you actually believe in souls and such. Definitely a topic for another board. I'm just saying the emphasis from Venables' on family, friends, hold-hands sing kumbaya and such is not going to get the level of talent we need in this era.

Under the current system what events will get us top talent? My thoughts:
1. Win consistently above our weight (something we have not done in quite a while...see bowl record when we are underdog)
2. Develop talent and put them in the NFL at higher than expected positions.

Sham, I agree with your two points.
OU's postseason record since the 2000 championship reflect both points you made.
As for Venables, I would guess he is aware this team is damaged goods from all that Poach Riley did, so he's trying to motivate the team to play at a higher level in a language most of the players understand while he is waiting for future talent.... better talent... to make up the OU roster. The jury is still out as to whether it will work.
The K-State loss brought me back to reality. Every remaining game I now see as a potential loss. As of now, the season for me will be a success with wins over Texas and OSU.

I was raised by a mother and father that stayed married from their teens until death in their late 70s. My parents never once sent us to church or talked to us about religion. I never tied my drive to succeed to anything but the lesson my parents presented to us. None had a religious tone. There are a lot of happy and successful people that did not have god in their life. I count myself among that lot. One thing I have learned in my worldly travels is to keep your faith and your politics to yourself. There is nothing more annoying than a bible thumping underachiever telling me that I can be saved. Family YES, religion NO!

Yankees have won only two World Series in 22 years (2000 and 2009) .... or since Brian Cashman became GM.
And I believe that under current ownership and GM Cashman with his reckless spending and failure to develop young talent, the team will remain a franchise of past glories.
The team has never replaced Jeter at SS, O'Neill in RF, Bernie Willams in CF, Posada at catcher, Martinez at 1B, closer Mariano Rivera and pitchers like Pettitte, Cone, Wells, Clemens, Key, Mussina or Sabathia.
As I approach 74 years and after seeing ten championships through the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's and late 1990's, I'm resigned to the fact that I have seen my last Yankees championship.
I'm hoping I see another OU championship after 22 seasons, especially now that the bar has been raised with entry into the SEC.
Cash took over in ‘98; the threepeat occurred under his watch (note; I’m not necessarily giving him credit as a lot of the pieces we’re already there, just saying it happened while he was GM). What has changed though, has been at the top. Hal is an accountant by trade, & although they still do have one of the highest payrolls in baseball, he will pinch a penny way more regularly than his dad did (that’s what’s making me laugh my head off about Judge doing what he’s doing; either Hal ante’s up or he becomes the most hated man in New York. Those are his options, period.) If George saw a need, he went out & filled it without a moment’s hesitation, often in spectacular fashion. These days? Not quite as much. They’re satisfied with being good. Good was a four letter word to George.

Last edited:
I was raised by a mother and father that stayed married from their teens until death in their late 70s. My parents never once sent us to church or talked to us about religion. I never tied my drive to succeed to anything but the lesson my parents presented to us. None had a religious tone. There are a lot of happy and successful people that did not have god in their life. I count myself among that lot. One thing I have learned in my worldly travels is to keep your faith and your politics to yourself. There is nothing more annoying than a bible thumping underachiever telling me that I can be saved. Family YES, religion NO!
John 3:12

Cash took over in ‘98; the threepeat occurred under his watch (note; I’m not necessarily giving him credit as a lot of the pieces we’re already there, just saying it happened while he was GM). What has changed though, has been at the top. Hal is an accountant by trade, & although they still do have one of the highest payrolls in baseball, he will pinch a penny way more regularly than his dad did (that’s what’s making me laugh my head off about Judge doing what he’s doing; either Hal ante’s up or he becomes the most hated man in New York. Those are his options, period.) If George saw a need, he went out & filled it without a moment’s hesitation, often in spectacular fashion. These days? Not quite as much. They’re satisfied with being good. Good was a four letter word to George.
Cashman did become GM in 1998, inheriting a team built by Gene Michael and Bob Watson, who were able to retain the corps of great young players while George Steinbrenner was suspended for three years. Cashman had little to do with assembling the great teams of 1998, 1999 and 2000.
Hal Steinbrenner is about making money and he seems content to have a team contend annually, but really not be at a World Series Championship level. He provides Yankees fan with a winning team each season to keep the stadium filled. Not sure I would label Hal Steinbrenner a penny-pincher given his okaying obscene contracts to Stanton (owed $27 million a year through 2028), Cole (owed $36 million a year through 2028) and taking on Donalson's two-year $50 million contract last winter. Plus, Aaron Hicks has over $30 million left on his 7-year contract signed before the 2019 season.
One championship since 2000..... the worst drought in the team's history.... and it's all on ownership and Cashman.
Judge may re-up with the Yankees, since it's all about money these days and this will shackle the team financially even more.
If I were Judge, I would leave NY and go west. Maybe he will find a team that surrounds him with a good supporting cast.

Cashman did become GM in 1998, inheriting a team built by Gene Michael and Bob Watson, who were able to retain the corps of great young players while George Steinbrenner was suspended for three years. Cashman had little to do with assembling the great teams of 1998, 1999 and 2000.
Hal Steinbrenner is about making money and he seems content to have a team contend annually, but really not be at a World Series Championship level. He provides Yankees fan with a winning team each season to keep the stadium filled. Not sure I would label Hal Steinbrenner a penny-pincher given his okaying obscene contracts to Stanton (owed $27 million a year through 2028), Cole (owed $36 million a year through 2028) and taking on Donalson's two-year $50 million contract last winter. Plus, Aaron Hicks has over $30 million left on his 7-year contract signed before the 2019 season.
One championship since 2000..... the worst drought in the team's history.... and it's all on ownership and Cashman.
Judge may re-up with the Yankees, since it's all about money these days and this will shackle the team financially even more.
If I were Judge, I would leave NY and go west. Maybe he will find a team that surrounds him with a good supporting cast.
The Angels?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT