ADVERTISEMENT

Hey, how about those Sooners

Oklabama

Sooner starter
Aug 10, 2004
Tulsa, OK
on the offensive side of the ball. We've covered the poor defensive play and coaching sufficiently, IMO. Let's talk about the great offensive show we witnessed Saturday night. Yeah, it was against a very poor Texas Tech defensive team, but Lincoln Riley's offensive group outgunned a very good Tech offense and a great performance by Mahomes. OU has an abundance of talent on offense. Pick your offensive player of the week. I'll go with Joe Mixon and the entire OL as a special mention.

Last edited:
on the offensive side of the ball. We've covered the poor defensive play and coaching sufficiently, IMO. Let's talk about the great offensive show we witnessed Saturday night. Yeah, it was against a very poor Texas Tech defensive team, but Lincoln Riley's offensive group outgunned a very good Tech offense and a great performance by Mahomes. OU has an abundance of talent on offense. Pick your offensive player of the week. I'll go with Joe Mixon and the entire OL as a special mention.

Now looky here... That offense didn't get a whole yard on a 4th & 1. It also punted twice. Without the fabulous showing of the defense, including two turnovers and a couple of forced three and outs, that pathetic offense couldn't keep up...

If it were any good, OU would have had a thousand yards and half a two hundred points. Mike Stoops knows how to get offenses to perform, he should be the next OC. Even Sammy Hagar agrees. Mikey is the best...

In reality, the offense isn't getting it's due because of the defense. This offensive team is putting up some serious numbers. Mixon is a shoe in to play on Sundays. And I'm one to believe that Baker will be earning some paychecks in the NFL as well. Westbrook will most likely be a respectable #2 WR and I believe we will witness one or more of the O-Line walk across the stage and give Goodell a hug.

Reactions: Oklabama
Mayfield's accuracy was excellent..especially on those downfield throws. I'd like to see some more trickery, I know Bob hates it...but it didnt stop him from using the Ninja set and other confusing trick plays his first year. The trick plays we've seen are Lincoln's calls lets see more and keep them guessing. Lord knows we need any advantage we can get offensively with our defensive woes

I want to see a strong ball control offense featuring three good backs (when Perine returns), a Heisman worthy quarterback, a superb deep threat receiver, some decent possession type receivers, all behind a good offensive line that seems to be getting better and better....these are OU's strengths......why not use it to help the defense by keeping opposing defenses on the field and wearing them out by the fourth quarter ? If OU doesn't adhere to a ball control offense, more Texas Tech type games are inevitable. I would rather see a 75 yard scoring drive in 15 plays than one made in less than 4-5 plays. I think every defensive player would agree with me.

Reactions: Oklabama
Now looky here... That offense didn't get a whole yard on a 4th & 1. It also punted twice. Without the fabulous showing of the defense, including two turnovers and a couple of forced three and outs, that pathetic offense couldn't keep up...

If it were any good, OU would have had a thousand yards and half a two hundred points. Mike Stoops knows how to get offenses to perform, he should be the next OC. Even Sammy Hagar agrees. Mikey is the best...

"I was just trying to be nice to the old ladies".....George C. Scott as General Patton. 1970.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
I want to see a strong ball control offense featuring three good backs (when Perine returns), a Heisman worthy quarterback, a superb deep threat receiver, some decent possession type receivers, all behind a good offensive line that seems to be getting better and better....these are OU's strengths......why not use it to help the defense by keeping opposing defenses on the field and wearing them out by the fourth quarter ? If OU doesn't adhere to a ball control offense, more Texas Tech type games are inevitable. I would rather see a 75 yard scoring drive in 15 plays than one made in less than 4-5 plays. I think every defensive player would agree with me.

Strong post, CT.

I would rather see a 75 yard scoring drive in 15 plays than one made in less than 4-5 plays. I think every defensive player would agree with me.

I found this article about my old high school coach, Tom Kimbrough... It was written in 1986 before our semi-final game against L.D. Bell.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-12-15/sports/8604030796_1_uniforms-shoes-football

"The right-wing approach to football. To Kimbrough, a 15-play, 70-yard drive of nothing but runs is a thing of beauty. Plano this year has rushed for more than three times as many yards (3,557) as it has passed (1,100)."

Our defense was good. Our offense made it better. There is something to be said of staying fresh... Running wind sprints every play isn't fun, unless you're scoring touchdowns. There were several times in the TT game when Mixon was winded after long runs. Imagine being a DB chasing a faster receiver every play... It would be nice to know that once you get off the field, you would get more than the tv timeout to rest...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT