ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Hour with Ed ... (Fri., 2/22)

Eddie_Rado

Sooner starter
Staff
Jan 30, 2011
Hello and hi.

Undoubtedly we have to start with the news story of the day. I mean, my God. Talk about the gift that's going to keep on giving.

Robert Kraft has named in a prostitution sting. Yes, you read that right. The owner of the New England Patriots has been popped for trying to get a handy. Or maybe a blowie.

It makes me giggle. Beautiful.

Remember his sex life has to be a tad strange (speaking of) at the ripe age of 77 with millions already locked up in a bank. Perhaps you need to be reminded of this little diddy.

Gasp. Shocking.

Regardless, the whole event is pretty funny. And this list of fellow perps is even better. I bet they all loved the Wishbone. No offense, Wuf.

There's two schools of thought here.

1.) This story is untouchable. There *could* be some sex trafficking involved which makes it not as funny. Obviously, not good news there. Sad.

2.) Roger Goodell set this entire scheme up to get back at Craft and teh Patriots.

Both of these options could be true.

What's going to be fun is following up on Adam Schefter's report that Kraft's isn't the biggest name out there. Count me in and put a long shot bet on Tim Tebow, Elizabeth Warren and Michael Jackson (could be still alive, like 2Pac and Elvis). Let's get weird.

The possibilities are endless. Especially when you consider this:

* EDIT: Being that Tiger's home near Jupiter is a hop-skip-jump away from Day Spa we'd have to think the GOAT is officially BACK.

The Oklahoma baseball team heads to the west coast this weekend for the Tony Gwynn Classic. Should be a stiff (wink, wink Mr. Craft) test after an opening weekend sweep of Cal Poly and midweek victory versus Dallas Baptist.

The Sooners are 4-0 for the first time since 2013.

The three-game set begins Friday night in San Diego, the rest of the schedule as follows:

yb6CDoe.jpg

After the first week of the season the most obvious strength of the team has been on the pitchers mound. The starting trio of Cavalli, Wiles and Prater have a chance to be extremely good.

But it's the bullpen that has impressed head coach Skip Johnson the most.

"What I've been impressed with those guys as much as anything is those guys being in control of themselves because in environments and we'll see a different taste this weekend we won't be at home, won't be on the same mound, and see how they do again," Johnson said. "We'll see if they can continue to grow like that".

The Sooners pitching staff posted a 1.50 ERA over the course of the four game opening week homestand, ranking No.14 nationally. 32 strikeouts to nine walks in 36 innings (!).

"Get them in short stints and see if they can grow like watering a plant. They'll gain confidence. We've talked about confidence being a product of your mindset," Johnson said. "You've got to control yourself one pitch at a time. Baseball only gives you an opportunity. If you can understand that it's a game of failure. I think that's the biggest thing so we can keep growing."

* Any concerns about the Sooners infield have been answered with passing grades. Brylie Ware turned in a phenomenal first weekend at the hot corner. Conor McKenna and Brandon Zaragoza have been strong up the middle.

The highlight of the weekend was featured as the No.3 play of the week in college baseball:

giphy.gif

“That was just kind of a reaction play, knowing they had good runners on over there,” Ware said. “I had to get rid of the ball fast, and it was a high chopper. The coaches have worked with me and worked with me. It’s first steps and all that and being prepared. That’s what I credit it to.”

McKenna, Ware and Zaragoza have combined for 50 fielding assists and 12 putouts.

* We'll pump the brakes on blasting this group offensively. Hard to be great offensively when the temperature is hovering around mid-30s. I won't discredit the conditions they were playing in. Instead we'll offer some kudos for situational baseball and manufacturing of runs.

Justin Mitchell leads the team with a .444 batting average and four runs scored while Brady Lindsly is hitting .333 with two doubles and two runs.

* After opening the season in aforementioned freezing temperatures Oklahoma was welcomed to San Diego by this weather:

Regardless of the weather Johnson looks at this weekend as a chance for his club to grow.

"You don't always know that really until the end. It's kind of funny. I think the big thing is we get to be on the road together," Johnson said.

"See how they bounce back from going back and forth, going on the plane flight and see how they can respond from that. That's as big as anything and it gives us more time to grow as a team. When we leave the field some guys live over here, some guys live over there and you're not together. I think roadtrips are more powerful if you take the aspect of, 'hey we're going to be together so it's a better thing'. We'll do a lot of team stuff together which will be great for us."

* What's better than Super Bowl prop bets? Of course your answer is NFL Combine prop bets. What say you?

I'll take the under if he runs.

* Tiger back in contention in Mexico City ... should be a fun weekend of golf.

* No reason for Oklahoma to lose in basketball tomorrow. Texas coming to town without Kerwin Roach. Loser of Saturday's contest at the Lloyd Noble Center most certainly will watch their bubble burst when it comes to the NCAA Tournament. Full disclosure: It's a little sad that OU with a 4-9 conference record is still 'in' as I type this.

* Whatever, it's time for the stretch run in the Association. Excited to see the Thunder not lose a game the rest of the season.

If there is a subject you would like for me to cover feel free to add it here in this thread.

Everyone have an excellent weekend. And remember to tip your bartender.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News