ADVERTISEMENT

Hammer finally falls

Good program that has made three bad hires. Maybe #4 will be a winner. OU had to go through the same thing before finding Coach Stoops.....Gibbs, Snelly, Blake.

Reactions: iasooner1
I really thought Jones was gonna be successful. He just never could break through on winning the bigtime games.

When he jumped Striker after the game in Knoxville I lost all respect for him. An opposing coach doesn’t do that to another coaches player. Striker may have needed a talking to but that was Stoops job, not Jones’. Just a pet peeve of mine. Never liked Woody Hayes either. :cool:

When he jumped Striker after the game in Knoxville I lost all respect for him. An opposing coach doesn’t do that to another coaches player. Striker may have needed a talking to but that was Stoops job, not Jones’. Just a pet peeve of mine. Never liked Woody Hayes either. :cool:

You are correct. I had either forgotten or never knew about that. He couldn't have been as much a jerk as old Woody though...

I remember that. I doubt he would jump his own players like that. Good riddance.

You are correct. I had either forgotten or never knew about that. He couldn't have been as much a jerk as old Woody though...
An OU fan came bouncing up to Woody after the 77 game to wish him well and Woody wacked him about the head and shoulder area. ABC broadcast a fairly tight shot of it. He was loopy long before osu fired him.

A lot people felt sorry for the way Woody Haynes went out. I didn’t. He got exactly what he deserved and he alone was to blame. I do have to give full disclosure in order to be fair. Woody Haynes or no Woody Haynes, I’ve been a Ohio State hater my entire adult life. Doesn’t change anything though.

Never been a fan of Jones. I wonder how long it will take for Nebraska to drop the hammer on their coach.

A lot people felt sorry for the way Woody Haynes went out. I didn’t. He got exactly what he deserved and he alone was to blame. I do have to give full disclosure in order to be fair. Woody Haynes or no Woody Haynes, I’ve been a Ohio State hater my entire adult life. Doesn’t change anything though.
Hayes was not just "old school"....he was a pompous, reactionary, bush league jerk.
I think he was an embarrassment to Ohio State but was tolerated with a 205-61-10 record with three national championships. The win-at-all-cost was and is rampant in CFB.
In the 1968 Michigan game, with his team up 42-14, Ohio State scored late in the game to make it 48-14. Hayes ordered his team to go for two points which was successful.
When asked why he went for two points, his reply was "because I couldn't go for three". Sadly, Ohio State won the National Championship that year.
The following year (1969) his team traveled to Michigan with an unbeaten record and was heavily favored....Michigan upset Ohio State 24-12...and poetic justice was richly served. The loss knocked Hayes' team out of championship possibility.
I hope I never see another Woody Hayes type again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT