ADVERTISEMENT

Hall of Famer Whitey Ford dies at 92....

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
actually he was 91.
236 wins despite 2 years of military service in 1951-52. Last of the great Yankees of the 1946-64 era.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoonerSA
I remember watching the Yankees play in the World Series a lot in my early grade school years. It seemed like Whitey Ford was always pitching in the Yankees biggest games and it always seemed like he was the winning pitcher. He was as "clutch" as they come. RIP

Reactions: iasooner1
He outlived his great pal, Mickey Mantle by 25 years. They both partied pretty hard together, but some accounts. Kind of the definition of a crafty lefty. Only 5'10 but a great winner. In the early 60's, he beat Babe Ruth's pitching record for consecutive World Series inning with no runs. Somewhere up around 3 0 consecutive shutout innings.

Mickey thought the reason the highly favored Yankees lost that Series, was for him, the inexplicable decision by Casey Stengel to not start Ford in games 1 and 4, and if needed 7. The two that he started, the Yankees won 10-0 and 12-0 in game 3 and 6.

The three of he four most effective pitchers in that World Series were 5-10 Ford, 5'6 Bobby Shantz and 5'8 Roy Face. The other was Cy Young winner Vernon Law.

He outlived his great pal, Mickey Mantle by 25 years. They both partied pretty hard together, but some accounts. Kind of the definition of a crafty lefty. Only 5'10 but a great winner. In the early 60's, he beat Babe Ruth's pitching record for consecutive World Series inning with no runs. Somewhere up around 3 0 consecutive shutout innings.

Mickey thought the reason the highly favored Yankees lost that Series, was for him, the inexplicable decision by Casey Stengel to not start Ford in games 1 and 4, and if needed 7. The two that he started, the Yankees won 10-0 and 12-0 in game 3 and 6.

The three of he four most effective pitchers in that World Series were 5-10 Ford, 5'6 Bobby Shantz and 5'8 Roy Face. The other was Cy Young winner Vernon Law.
Casey Stengel was fired after the 1960 for holding Ford out in game 7 to at least pitch in the late innings.....and for having Ford pitch complete games in two blowout Yankees wins.

"Whitey" Ford's nickname came about because of his light blond hair when he was a young pitcher in the minors.
Let's all be sure to show liberal "outrage" over this.

CT, you obviously don't understand the contemporary rules, Rule #1: criticism of anything based on its "whiteness" not only isn't racism but perfectly acceptable and actually encouraged.

CT, you obviously don't understand the contemporary rules, Rule #1: criticism of anything based on its "whiteness" not only isn't racism but perfectly acceptable and actually encouraged.
Forgive me.....now I'm going to install plantation shutters in my master bedroom.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT