ADVERTISEMENT

Gymnastics: I'm going to Frisco

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
To the Big XII Women's gymnastics championships in Frisco this Saturday. Just wondering if any other local Scoopers might find it worthwhile. I've never seen women's gymnastics in person before. And OUr girls are great.

Weirdness.

I went to the official OU site to look for how to get a ticket for the event Saturday, and would tickets be available at the gate at the Dr Pepper Star Center in Frisco. They had a phone number to call.

I called, and was told that wasn't the right number, but they'd give me the right number. So I called that number. They told me that wasn't the right number, but would transfer me to the person who could answer my questions. Got an outgoing message that didn't say anything about the event, or leave a number and they'd call. Just said he was out of the office.

Hmmm.

I'm still going to try to go, but it kind of sucks. The Big XII ought to do better for a conference championship event.

Reactions: iasooner1
Thanks. I hate dealing with Ticket Master for various reasons, but especially two days before the event. And I will be in Frisco if I need to get them befoore Saturday.

The DP Star Center is the practice home of the NHL Stars. Pretty amazing to me that nobody at the site seems capable of talking about it, the week of the event.

Thanks. I hate dealing with Ticket Master for various reasons, but especially two days before the event. And I will be in Frisco if I need to get them befoore Saturday.

The DP Star Center is the practice home of the NHL Stars. Pretty amazing to me that nobody at the site seems capable of talking about it, the week of the event.
The Big 12 uses Ticketmaster to sell them. There aren't any fees. You can get them at the ticket office of the arena and they'll be selling them the day of the event as well.

I'd be joining you down there but my daughter is competing in Jenks at the Oklahoma state gymnastics championship Saturday day.

I'm here. Watching warm ups is interesting. Looks like the Sooners are wearing black today. Three of the 4 schools here have a version of dark red as their primary school color: OU, Iowa State and Denver, who is the second best team here.

Probably half the people here are locals, 35% Sooner fans, and the rest parents and friends of the gymnasts. Maybe 10% are little girls who want to be gymnasts.

)))

Nope, those were warm ups. For the event, it's crimson with lots of silvery sparkling trim.

Last edited:
The event was interesting for me. Never been to any live gymnastics event though I've watched a lot on tv. Each event had four judges forming a box around the individual event. It took me three or four participants before I could figure out that the last name of who was up, was on a short scoring console close by. I was burning battery on my cell trying to keep up with whichever Sooner was competing at any time. I got there early so I could figure out the best place from which to watch. It was in the middle of the Denver section, though anybody could sit there. I met a couple whose daughter competed for Denver in bars and beam. They were from Allen, but I could tell they really didn't want to talk much.

So I got up an went up briefly on the concourse and then found another seat five minutes later, which was perfect. A little lower and next to a guy from Dallas with two elementary daughters in gymnastics who came just for them. He was a walk on football player at Nebraska in the Rozier years, when Turner Gill was the Husker quarterback. He told me he was the eighth string quarterback, and the seventh was some all state kid. Nebraska was pretty deep during the year when Jerry Pettibone was their recruiting coordinator.

We traded football stories and watched a good gymnastics event. It was better in person, though harder to keep up with, than when somebody who knows good from not quite, is telling you about it on television. During the beam, which was first, Coach Kindler looks like a proud, helicopter mom. She's in the middle of all of it. Relaxing, encouraging and exhorting. And like I am when I watch OU wrestling, squirming just slightly with each move of each of the six girls in crimson.

For me, this was more about just experiencing the event. It was a certainty that OU was going to win. But in how many events would Maggie Nichols participate? (three, all but floor) Vault was third and when she stuck the landing, I told Mike, the Husker guy, that it might be a ten. I was sitting about ten rows up from the vault landing area. Great view. It gave me a good angle to see the beam at just enough angle to see it well. It was about where the top of the key would have been on the north end. The vault on the near sideline. The bars were on the south, symmetrical to the beam. The mat for floor was in between just beyond the vault runway.

When Maggie's beam scores started coming in, two judges had their backs to us and two were facing us. The two facing both had flip cards showing 10.0 so we knew she had a chance, and she did score her sixth ten of the year, second on vault I think. It was interesting to me that one of the Sooners on beam received a 9.9 from one judge, and under 9.8 from another. I couldn't see the other two scores. She ended up with a score of 9.85 but it seemed strange that they could be so far
apart..

Jackson's landings aren't up to what Nichols and Chayse Capps, do, but she is breathtaking in the air. Maybe it was because the vault runway was the closest event, but one of our vaulters looked like a sprinter coming down the runway. She was moving. While Jackson seems to coast in order to get the steps right. But she has such power. Just remarkable.

Brenna Dowell, Nichols and McKenzie Wofford all scored 9.950 on the bars. OU is historically as good as anybody in the country on beam, and they likely are again. But I think bars is their best event. Five of six stuck landings.

They all looked gorgeous. Glad I went and I suspect I will again. I found it interesting that if you draw a line to show the four schools that participate in the Big XII, then it makes a diamond shape, and Frisco is 180 miles south of the diamond. But I think the coaches like having the event in the area, because there are so many quality gymnasts in the area, and having the conference here, likely helps with recruiting. OU has four from the DFW area who participated Saturday, I believe. Colleyville, Plano, Dallas and McKinney. And a couple others from the state generally. So Frisco is likely a good idea, though it was a little strange walking past hockey practices to get into the venue.

My guess is that there was between 1200 and 1500 in attendance. Most of the locals were pulling for OU, because I think a lot were there to see Maggie. But I think my favorite is Capps, who won the all around. After all, she is a Plano girl.

The event was interesting for me. Never been to any live gymnastics event though I've watched a lot on tv. Each event had four judges forming a box around the individual event. It took me three or four participants before I could figure out that the last name of who was up, was on a short scoring console close by. I was burning battery on my cell trying to keep up with whichever Sooner was competing at any time. I got there early so I could figure out the best place from which to watch. It was in the middle of the Denver section, though anybody could sit there. I met a couple whose daughter competed for Denver in bars and beam. They were from Allen, but I could tell they really didn't want to talk much.

So I got up an went up briefly on the concourse and then found another seat five minutes later, which was perfect. A little lower and next to a guy from Dallas with two elementary daughters in gymnastics who came just for them. He was a walk on football player at Nebraska in the Rozier years, when Turner Gill was the Husker quarterback. He told me he was the eighth string quarterback, and the seventh was some all state kid. Nebraska was pretty deep during the year when Jerry Pettibone was their recruiting coordinator.

We traded football stories and watched a good gymnastics event. It was better in person, though harder to keep up with, than when somebody who knows good from not quite, is telling you about it on television. During the beam, which was first, Coach Kindler looks like a proud, helicopter mom. She's in the middle of all of it. Relaxing, encouraging and exhorting. And like I am when I watch OU wrestling, squirming just slightly with each move of each of the six girls in crimson.

For me, this was more about just experiencing the event. It was a certainty that OU was going to win. But in how many events would Maggie Nichols participate? (three, all but floor) Vault was third and when she stuck the landing, I told Mike, the Husker guy, that it might be a ten. I was sitting about ten rows up from the vault landing area. Great view. It gave me a good angle to see the beam at just enough angle to see it well. It was about where the top of the key would have been on the north end. The vault on the near sideline. The bars were on the south, symmetrical to the beam. The mat for floor was in between just beyond the vault runway.

When Maggie's beam scores started coming in, two judges had their backs to us and two were facing us. The two facing both had flip cards showing 10.0 so we knew she had a chance, and she did score her sixth ten of the year, second on vault I think. It was interesting to me that one of the Sooners on beam received a 9.9 from one judge, and under 9.8 from another. I couldn't see the other two scores. She ended up with a score of 9.85 but it seemed strange that they could be so far
apart..

Jackson's landings aren't up to what Nichols and Chayse Capps, do, but she is breathtaking in the air. Maybe it was because the vault runway was the closest event, but one of our vaulters looked like a sprinter coming down the runway. She was moving. While Jackson seems to coast in order to get the steps right. But she has such power. Just remarkable.

Brenna Dowell, Nichols and McKenzie Wofford all scored 9.950 on the bars. OU is historically as good as anybody in the country on beam, and they likely are again. But I think bars is their best event. Five of six stuck landings.

They all looked gorgeous. Glad I went and I suspect I will again. I found it interesting that if you draw a line to show the four schools that participate in the Big XII, then it makes a diamond shape, and Frisco is 180 miles south of the diamond. But I think the coaches like having the event in the area, because there are so many quality gymnasts in the area, and having the conference here, likely helps with recruiting. OU has four from the DFW area who participated Saturday, I believe. Colleyville, Plano, Dallas and McKinney. And a couple others from the state generally. So Frisco is likely a good idea, though it was a little strange walking past hockey practices to get into the venue.

My guess is that there was between 1200 and 1500 in attendance. Most of the locals were pulling for OU, because I think a lot were there to see Maggie. But I think my favorite is Capps, who won the all around. After all, she is a Plano girl.
Nice write up. Awesome group of girls.

Any kind of update on the Sooner Lady Gymnasts ? (I'll leave it to Sean to report the success of the younger crew)
My daughter crushed the competition at the state championship meet, winning 1st on all 4 events and 1st all around. She's mostly competed out of state this season so I wasn't sure how'd she stack up. Her all around score in the state championship places her ranking 5th in the country. But you already knew that my friend. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT