ADVERTISEMENT

Granny................

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
I read plaino's thread about Tony C. Some other Sooner's have had some bad things to say about OU. The Boz and Spencer Tillman come to mind. Here's one that never cut down OU, but he left america to live in Canada and had some other bad opinions on the USA. I'm not posting them.

He was one our greatest players that no one mentions. Read the link on Granville Liggins............

https://theonlyblogthatmatters.com/...liggins-all-time-sooner-great/comment-page-1/

I read plaino's thread about Tony C. Some other Sooner's have had some bad things to say about OU. The Boz and Spencer Tillman come to mind. Here's one that never cut down OU, but he left america to live in Canada and had some other bad opinions on the USA. I'm not posting them.

He was one our greatest players that no one mentions. Read the link on Granville Liggins............

https://theonlyblogthatmatters.com/...liggins-all-time-sooner-great/comment-page-1/

I think a lot of us would have not great things to say about the U.S. if we were African Americans born in the 40s. Or earlier. He was absolutely the best OU defensive player of the 60s.

I think a lot of us would have not great things to say about the U.S. if we were African Americans born in the 40s. Or earlier. He was absolutely the best OU defensive player of the 60s.

There were two players I remember as a kid listening on the radio. Liggins was one. He truly could dominate a game and you could picture it in your mind even though you were just on a radio broadcast. Steve Owens was the second. Of course, this was my generation, not the Bud years...

Did you like the link? Pretty good IMO............

I didn't read it until your last post. I'd read something similar, I think in The Oklahoman, a few years ago. His effectiveness was limited by racism. He was often called offsides by all white officiating crews, when all he did was embarrass the opposing center with his quickness. He had the ball in front of him, and that wrestling instict to get started on the whistle, except it was the snap.

I cannot imagine his wrestling Curly Culp, who was as quick and 100 pounds heavier and an absolute rock. Culp won the NCAA's in wrestling and eventually was a Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee. Culp played for Arizona State back when they were a member of the WAC, with there were only eight teams in what is now the Pac 12.

It would be a treat to meet and shake hands with Granville Liggins. He was really the number one reason that OU ended up in the top three in the country his senior year.

The article mentioned the ND game in '66. It was 0-0 until he left the game with a knee injury against maybe the best Domer team ever. Half of their team played in the NFL. Jim Lynch and Alan Page were all pros. Page is in the HoF.

Two of the best defensive players of the 1960's were Carl McAdams and Granville Liggins.
Between them, OU had only two good years: 1963 for McAdams (OU went 8-2 and was 10th in the polls at year's end)....1967 for Liggins (10-1, an Orange Bowl win over Tennessee and 3rd place in the polls at Year's end).
They shared the 1965 on the roster (Granny's sophomore year and McAdams' senior year) on a 3-7 team with a decent defense and a poor offense, which scored only 106 points.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
That '66 ND team is to this day the best visiting team I have ever seen in person on Owen Field. Glad McAdams was mentioned. I would certainly put him in the same class with the "chocolate cheetah"......I know, probably politically incorrect in today's society but that was his nickname and it was spot on.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
They shared the 1965 on the roster (Granny's sophomore year and McAdams' senior year) on a 3-7 team with a decent defense and a poor offense, which scored only 106 points.

No offense in 1965 is being nice. Ha,ha. QB play was terrible and the rushing game was dismal. OU beat the two Kansas schools and Iowa State. Just think about that. Unbelievable.

Just checked the stats for '65. You're right , CT. The defense was pretty solid giving up only 15 points a game.

Last edited:
No offense in 1965 is being nice. Ha,ha. QB play was terrible and the rushing game was dismal. OU beat the two Kansas schools and Iowa State. Just think about that. Unbelievable.

Just checked the stats for '65. You're right , CT. The defense was pretty solid giving up only 15 points a game.
I'm a married man so I'm not right very often.
My aunt and cousin attended the Navy game that year (1965), with Navy winning 10-0.
My aunt said she never saw a team punt as much as OU did that day. The defense played well enough to win, as they often did that year.

Reactions: Oklabama
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT