ADVERTISEMENT

Girth is key

I was at the Meet the Sooners event yesterday and can 100% confirm that the Dline now looks to have some girth. Biggest group of OU Dlinemen I've seen in years, no exaggeration.
Size matters. That’s my experience anyway.

I believe the improvement and/or quality of the defensive line won't be known until the Texas game.
It is being better, much better, that matters to me as the size of linemen these days, both offensive and defensive, is already big enough.

Reactions: iasooner2000
I have been ssying it for yrs now, OU hadn't had the studs it takes to beat the good SEC teams.
I believe Brent and Lebby both noticed that as one of the first things they saw from day one. We gotta get big and get big real soon so we can compete in that league.
Look at the Bama boys and Georgia boys, those are some huge beefy linemen.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
I looked up the numbers (reported) from Ourlads.com. Here's assuming they have the correct lineups. Oklahoma is a little tricky to compare against Georgia and Alabama, because they both run a 3-4 defense, and we run a 4-3 defense. For head-to-head comparisons, I pushed Ethan Downs back from the line to give Oklahoma a 3-4 defense.

Georgia
DLine - 297
LBs - 241
Total D Front - 265
OLine - 320
TE - 240

Alabama
DLine - 307
LBs - 241
Total D Front - 269
OLine - 319
TE - 257

Oklahoma
DLine - 297
LBs - 241 (Counting Ethan Downs as a drop-back LB for a pseudo 3-4)
Total D Front - 265
OLine - 311
TE - 255

Oklahoma
DLine - 289 (Counting Downs as RDE for the base 4-3)
LBs - 233
Total D Front - 265

DL Comparison
Georgia - 297
Alabama - 307
Oklahoma - 297

LB Comparison
Georgia - 241
Alabama - 241
Oklahoma - 241

OL Comparison
Georgia - 320
Alabama - 319
Oklahoma - 311

I looked up the numbers (reported) from Ourlads.com. Here's assuming they have the correct lineups. Oklahoma is a little tricky to compare against Georgia and Alabama, because they both run a 3-4 defense, and we run a 4-3 defense. For head-to-head comparisons, I pushed Ethan Downs back from the line to give Oklahoma a 3-4 defense.

Georgia
DLine - 297
LBs - 241
Total D Front - 265
OLine - 320
TE - 240

Alabama
DLine - 307
LBs - 241
Total D Front - 269
OLine - 319
TE - 257

Oklahoma
DLine - 297
LBs - 241 (Counting Ethan Downs as a drop-back LB for a pseudo 3-4)
Total D Front - 265
OLine - 311
TE - 255

Oklahoma
DLine - 289 (Counting Downs as RDE for the base 4-3)
LBs - 233
Total D Front - 265

DL Comparison
Georgia - 297
Alabama - 307
Oklahoma - 297

LB Comparison
Georgia - 241
Alabama - 241
Oklahoma - 241

OL Comparison
Georgia - 320
Alabama - 319
Oklahoma - 311

Heard on some podcast yesterday that OU had one 300 plus lineman last season but this season has 6 or 7? It was a podcast about Bates Girth statements.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Heard on some podcast yesterday that OU had one 300 plus lineman last season but this season has 6 or 7? It was a podcast about Bates Girth statements.
Definitely 2 on the starting lineup. I didn't go deep and check the second unit.

LDERondell Bothroyd
275​
NTJordan Kelley
302​
DTIsaiah Coe
314​
RDEEthan Downs
263​
WLBDanny Stutsman
241​
MLBJaren Kanak
232​
SLBDasan McCullough
227​

Reactions: OUSOONER67
As always, I’m looking forward to this season and expecting better results than last year. Everything I read seems to point to a big improvement. Yet I am still a bit reserved at this point. All I want is to see an improvement on both sides of the ball and a respectable winning season. If that happens, I believe we will be ready for the SEC in 2024.

As always, I’m looking forward to this season and expecting better results than last year. Everything I read seems to point to a big improvement. Yet I am still a bit reserved at this point. All I want is to see an improvement on both sides of the ball and a respectable winning season. If that happens, I believe we will be ready for the SEC in 2024.
All we can ever be is optimistic my man. How I've held on with this portal thing. CFB players are gittin paid now, something I refused to acknowledge with it's inception but.......
I just can't shake SOONER FOOTBALL!
Benny, Bud, Barry, Bob and now Brent? Brent's cleaning things up with real football since tbows defection. We're gonna be fine my man. I believe it. 😁

Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT