ADVERTISEMENT

FTS. Wake me up when Mike Stoops is unemployed.

I feel like one of those mornings when you are younger and went out to the bar and went home with a woman after one way too many. You wake up and want to gnaw your own arm off to get away but realize she drove you there and you won't be leaving anytime soon. Thats how I feel right now.

Wake me up when we have an offensive coordinator.
What the hell does this mean? What choice did Riley have but to call plays considering the timing of Bob's retirement. Next year I am thinking he will give up play calling duties. Despite some questionable calls he is still a damn good play caller. Should he pull a Mike Gundy and go over to the sidelines wth his back to the action when we are on defense so that he can work on offensive strategy?

Reactions: Oklabama
What the hell does this mean? What choice did Riley have but to call plays considering the timing of Bob's retirement. Next year I am thinking he will give up play calling duties. Despite some questionable calls he is still a damn good play caller. Should he pull a Mike Gundy and go over to the sidelines wth his back to the action when we are on defense so that he can work on offensive strategy?

I agree. The timing for Bob to retire was odd to say the least. Riley only was offered the job a few hours before the announcement if you believe what was reported. Hiring a new OC two months before fall practice would have been a big mistake, IMO. Riley did the right thing for this season but needs to find and hire his OC replacement ASAP after the season ends.......along with a few other new staff on the defensive side.

Bob was never ever going to fire Mike because some fans wanted him to. It would've taken his bosses stepping in and forcing Bob to do that and it never happened no matter how bad the defense was getting. Can you imagine firing your brother? I cannot but I would probably never hire him in the first place.
I think it saddled Bob's last few yrs because he brought Mike back in. I also believe JH never would have been let go if not for pressure on Bob at that time. The pressure to fire his brother never materialized or at least pressure from his bosses. Hopefully Riley does not have an issue with pulling the trigger but I guess we will see soon enough. I really did not expect him to let Mike go before the season but now I don't see how he keeps him on after this season.

New oc??? Seriously? I agree that being the HC and OC is tough but aside from a few questionable play calls what more do you want??? Rileys offense has been spectacular since arriving and stilll one of the best in cfb. Stoops is the problem plain and simple. His unwillingness to play a 4 man front is beyond absurd. Why even say we are switching to 4-3 when thee was no real intent to do so? We see it sparingly but that in my eyes is the real issue. We play 3 man front with no edge. Have zero playmakers on d line aside from Obo who isn't even a real d lineman. We have too many hybrid players that can't be or won't be physical. Corners are major liability. Recruiting has been bad. Not that they are bad players necessarily but we have too many hybrids. Can't have your cake and eat it too. Mike stoops is awful. Even if we somehow pull off the rest of the season it will be because of the offense. And we will most likely get left out because the committee sees gay our defense is the joke of college football.

I'm going to stay asleep for awhile. With the current state of the defense, I don't see number 8 happening for quite some time.

New oc??? Seriously? I agree that being the HC and OC is tough but aside from a few questionable play calls what more do you want??? Rileys offense has been spectacular since arriving and stilll one of the best in cfb. Stoops is the problem plain and simple. His unwillingness to play a 4 man front is beyond absurd. Why even say we are switching to 4-3 when thee was no real intent to do so? We see it sparingly but that in my eyes is the real issue. We play 3 man front with no edge. Have zero playmakers on d line aside from Obo who isn't even a real d lineman. We have too many hybrid players that can't be or won't be physical. Corners are major liability. Recruiting has been bad. Not that they are bad players necessarily but we have too many hybrids. Can't have your cake and eat it too. Mike stoops is awful. Even if we somehow pull off the rest of the season it will be because of the offense. And we will most likely get left out because the committee sees gay our defense is the joke of college football.

In regards to the 4 man front: Yes, we do have playmakers. No, you are correct, we aren't playing a true 4 man front.

When Obo is the strong side defensive end we're putting ourselves at an immediate disadvantage against the run. There should be a true defensive end with Obo outside of him.

Lampkin is making plays. Ward is making plays. Gallimore (when they play him) is making plays. But they are behind the 8 ball every play because it's 5 offensive lineman versus 3 defensive lineman.

We're also using Mann as a "hybrid" defensive tackle way to often. He's not big enough. He and freshman Lott (who played against UTEP and Ohio State), would make fine defensive ends opposite Ward, with Lampkin at the 1 and Gallimore wreaking havoc at the 3. But we are apparently unwilling to do this because we think having an edge rushing linebacker is more effective. So now we're asking Obo to wear himself out by the 2nd quarter.

Our greatest issue is scheme, and poor personnel use, especially with regards to down and distance. As well as, often, zero aggression in pressuring the quarterback with blitz packages that aren't advertised 6 months before people put up Christmas lights.

Thought for sure we would see a four man front against KSU. It’s obvious MS will never change. Will be a miracle if Baker Mayfield leads the team to another big xii title.

Reactions: BillyRay
Yep. We’re #2 in the nation in Total Offense, #2 in the nation in Passing Offense, #3 in the nation in Scoring Offense. And we have (for the second straight year) the #1 Passing Efficiency QB in the nation.

Must be because we’re only #34 in Rushing Offense.

My sentiments exactly... like I posted... 42 points.
OU has much bigger issues than the offensive play calling, strategy, & execution.

Reactions: iasooner1
I hate ESPN but even they can see the problems with OU is lack of defense. Its true that LR didnt exactly call a great game Saturday and made some mis-judgements in that play calling the problem is still the defense giving up just over 34 pts a game in conference play.

They pointed out that OU is 10th in scoring defense in the league and that is ugly. There is just no excuse for that in my opinion and eventually just like against ISU it will cost OU again.

I hate ESPN but even they can see the problems with OU is lack of defense. Its true that LR didnt exactly call a great game Saturday and made some mis-judgements in that play calling the problem is still the defense giving up just over 34 pts a game in conference play.

They pointed out that OU is 10th in scoring defense in the league and that is ugly. There is just no excuse for that in my opinion and eventually just like against ISU it will cost OU again.

I don't object to the emphasis being put on recruiting Offensive Super Stars, but for the last few years, it seems that has been taken to the extreme. IMO, we need to find a balance. A slightly slanted teeter-totter is acceptable...A 45 degree one is NOT!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT