ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Notes...

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
*Alright guys going to start with some chatter about Oklahoma's secondary recruiting, a pair of junior college cornerbacks that I see the Sooners in very good shape with - Miami (Okla.) Northeastern Oklahoma A&M's (NEO) Maurice Chandler and J'Marcus Rhodes of Kilgore (Texas) Kilgore J.C.

In a few conversations over the past week it sounds like Oklahoma is likely leading for both, and could simply have to make the choice of a pair of junior college cornerbacks or if they'd like to take both. It really isn't that simple as Rhodes is currently in Tempe, Ariz. checking out Arizona State on an official visit. It wouldn't be the first time a visit to the Sun Devils changed things around rapidly in a player's recruitment but as of right now most see the Sooners on top.

Chandler and Rhodes both have the feel of guys who will have their decision done before the end of the summer so we should have a lot more answers in the very near future.

*I spoke with someone close to Rivals100 to Watch defensive back Isaiah Pryor following his trip, along with his father, to Norman on Wednesday.

To offer some perspective on what the visit meant for him to take Pryor and his father drove in overnight from their Lawrenceville, Ga. home to camp at Oklahoma, hang out with the coaches (picture evidence below) and then immediately return back home so that Pryor could practice with his Archer high teammates the following day.

Here is Pryor with Will Sunderland:

1695289.jpg

Here is Pryor with Bob Stoops:

1695290.jpg

Here is Pryor with Bob and Mike Stoops:

1695291.jpg

So all that sounds well and good and the pictures look nice but talking to the source it was interesting to hear comments made about Pryor's time with the Stoops brothers, and their former teammate - the elder Pryor, Richard. For those that don't remember Richard Pryor played with Mike and was under the tutelage of Bob (during his time as a GA for Iowa) so there has always been a very close relationship.

"They are all like brothers," the source said including Pryor with the pair of actual brothers.

I've not yet caught up with Isaiah about his trip but I've been told it went very well and have every expectation that Oklahoma will be among his choices to the very end.

*Another 2017 defensive back with real connections to the Sooners picked up an offer on Thursday when the Sooners elected to offer Southlake (Texas) Carroll safety Robert Barnes, son of former Sooner linebacker Reggie Barnes (1988-92). Having talked to Barnes before there is no question that the chance to play in Norman means a lot to not only his father, but himself as well.

Barnes is a guy, like Pryor, with a great frame whose future role is still being grown into but one thing I've got zero doubt about based on some prior conversations is that Oklahoma is a very real contender here.

*I keep being told that Oklahoma could host Devwah Whaley at some point this month. If that happens, I honestly think it's a coin-flip if a commitment happens. I keep hearing the Sooners are in front and that barring a late surge from Texas A&M (who several I've talked to see slipping) it may be tough for Oklahoma's advantage to be overcome.

I will note there has been some talk of Texas as of late though it feels like a situation where if the Aggies aren't involved 'it has to be Texas'. I just don't see the Longhorns as a real contender but am continuing to check to see if things have shifted that dramatically in the course of a few weeks.

*On the flip side; at one point it seemed that Demarkus Acy was all but a foregone conclusion to Oklahoma. Now though it looks a near certainty he'll be committing to Texas later this weekend. The Longhorns offered Acy this week and he originally announced he would decide today, but has since bounced it back to Sunday.

Regardless of the time, unless something changes dramatically I expect it to be Texas.

*An interesting note that we learned this week?

Rivals100 athlete Brandon Burton of Gardena (Calif.) Serra is not being targeted as a safety for the Sooners but instead is being recruited largely as a receiver.

Now could he end up at safety? Sure.

I admit, as it was explained to me, it is something of an athlete designation but if Burton committed today he'd be headed to work with Dennis Simmons rather than Kerry Cooks.

*Oklahoma commitment Adrian Hardy of Houston Dekaney has seen some rumors surround his recruitment the past few months, particularly following a recent offer from Texas A&M.

Talking to a source familiar with things in 'Aggieland' Hardy has told A&M a polite 'thanks but no thanks' or to quote the source 'he is rock solid'.

So there's a bit of good news on one of Oklahoma's more quiet commitments in recent years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News