ADVERTISEMENT

Expanding the playoffs

There ought to be a 6 team playoff. All 5 Conference Champions
and the last, pick'em.

I still prefer a true playoff system. Make it like the other playoff systems that are used at the FCS, division II and division III.
I've been on this bandwagon for years.
The main argument against it has been the bowl games and their financial success.
The bowl games (including the New Year's Six) have already been reduced to the exhibitions and rewards they were originally intended to be - especially after the playoff was extended to 4.
Right now, you could eliminate the CCGs and have a 1st round playoff that weekend.
Either at the top rated team's home or at a location of their choice.
Us the bowl system for quarter/semi rounds.
Losers of the CCGs (and maybe the quarter finals) could still be bowl eligible.
A 16 team playoff would add one game to the schedule.
Before you tell me the best college football players in the land can't handle another game due to class schedules, energy, etc, just remember ALL OTHER CLASSES OF NCAA FOOTBALL use the 16 game playoff and seem to fair just fine.

I think 4 seems right to me. Who would we feel really deserves a playoff spot this year after OU? Utah? Penn State? No thanks. Would be a waste of games

Wonder if disparity is less in the lower divisions than in FBS division?
They all play 16 team playoffs.
If the disparity is less, they probably have more competitive games in the first round.

For those who dont think expanding to an 8 team playoff would be a waste of time, I give you the Washington Nationals. If MLB had not expanded to add wild card teams the Nats would have never even been in the playoff. I am in favor of an 8 team playoff...5 conference champs plus 3 at large teams selected based and an approved set of metrics and w/o human involvement in the decision.

For those who dont think expanding to an 8 team playoff would be a waste of time, I give you the Washington Nationals. If MLB had not expanded to add wild card teams the Nats would have never even been in the playoff. I am in favor of an 8 team playoff...5 conference champs plus 3 at large teams selected based and an approved set of metrics and w/o human involvement in the decision.

I agree but with one exception. 1 G5 ( Highest rated) as long as they have no more than 1 loss or they are in the Top 15. Then 2 WC but as you say some kind of system without the human element.

If one wants human involvement let them seed the teams but nothing beyond that.

Reactions: iasooner1

I do believe that the regular season is in effect a playoff. Don't want to be left out of the final 4? Don't lose 2 games.

My problem with 4 is more about a concern for college football in general. The playoff should be representative of the sport across the country. I worry about the PAC 12. There are historic programs in the conf. You cannot tell me that, this year, Oregon wouldn't be a tough out for any of the top 4. 5 conference champs ( maybe 6 if you include the AAC ) you have a cross-sectional representation of all major conferences. The conference championship games are the regional finals. Then on the the qtr. finals, etc. Of course it's up to each conf. to put a great team in but currently there is an imbalance geographically and it's not good for the sport.

128 team limit in FBS.

8 conferences with two 8 team divisions.

11 game regular season. 7 division games with 4 nonconference games.

Division winners play each other for conference championship.

8 conference champions seeded with BCS type system.

Incorporate top bowls into quarter and semi final rounds and alternate for the National Championship game.

It's about the Benjamins. Always has been. CFB sprinkles in cheerleaders, bands, pep rallys, parades, even the names like All American etc... all of it is a mask to cover the $$ revenues. It's why they don't want to pay players, they're greedy. Bottomline, if someone figures out a way to generate as much revenue to line the schools coffers using a play off system vs a Bowl game system... it'd probably work. Until then... they'll have committee peeps tell us who we get to see and who we don't.

I like the CFP just the way it is with a 4 team playoff and the bowl games for season-ending rankings. Gotta have some controversy or it's just not as fun! Besides, even though I'm hopelessly addicted to college football, I'm not in favor of extending the season any longer than it already is by adding more teams to the CFP.

If they want to keep it at 4, put in some hard rules about qualifiers. Given you're considering 5 "power" conferences, there's no reason the 4 shouldn't be given to P5 conference champions every years.
First rule: P5 conference champions are auto-qualified if undefeated or only have 1-loss. Caveat: if all 5 champions are undefeated or have 1-loss, THEN the Committee can pick 4 out of the 5.

Reactions: Schoonerman
I'm good with a four team playoff. If you just look at this year for instance, 3 teams were undefeated and were locks for 3 out of the 4 spots. Oklahoma got the last spot and deservedly so based on their resume. After that, there really isn't anymore teams that deserve to play in it this year including Oregon. Don't lose to Arizona St and you make it harder for the committee to keep you out. The Pac 12 is still down. Utah was exposed because they hadn't played any real good teams. Don't get me started on the ACC. While I do think Clemson is really good, their schedule was a joke. I know its not their fault that their conference is dog poop, but still that is an embarrassing conference.

I'm good with a four team playoff. If you just look at this year for instance, 3 teams were undefeated and were locks for 3 out of the 4 spots. Oklahoma got the last spot and deservedly so based on their resume. After that, there really isn't anymore teams that deserve to play in it this year including Oregon. Don't lose to Arizona St and you make it harder for the committee to keep you out. The Pac 12 is still down. Utah was exposed because they hadn't played any real good teams. Don't get me started on the ACC. While I do think Clemson is really good, their schedule was a joke. I know its not their fault that their conference is dog poop, but still that is an embarrassing conference.

This year was absolutely easy for the committee. They only had to decide is LSU or Ohio State was #1.
There are three undefeated teams, which were pretty much automatic.
OU was the ONLY MAJOR TEAM left with one loss.
The "Decision" the committee had to make was whether to put in OU or a 2 loss team.
Not much of a decision to be made there.

I am a huge fan of a real playoff system and have been wishing for a real playoff system for about 30 years now. What we have right now is a joke. A lot of these schools that will be attending bowl games will lose money. At one time the NCAA limited the amount of times a team was on TV because the NCAA was afraid that TV would hurt the game of college football. TV has made the game better. The TV rights for a playoff system would be worth millions of dollars and probably make the NCAA more money than the bowls do. Play 11 regular season games and then start the playoffs. This works for every single division of NCAA football except for Division 1.

I've been on this bandwagon for years.
The main argument against it has been the bowl games and their financial success.
The bowl games (including the New Year's Six) have already been reduced to the exhibitions and rewards they were originally intended to be - especially after the playoff was extended to 4.
Right now, you could eliminate the CCGs and have a 1st round playoff that weekend.
Either at the top rated team's home or at a location of their choice.
Us the bowl system for quarter/semi rounds.
Losers of the CCGs (and maybe the quarter finals) could still be bowl eligible.
A 16 team playoff would add one game to the schedule.
Before you tell me the best college football players in the land can't handle another game due to class schedules, energy, etc, just remember ALL OTHER CLASSES OF NCAA FOOTBALL use the 16 game playoff and seem to fair just fine.
It's a horribly unfair system where the teams bid for being the home team. Number 16 can play at home against #1.

Most coaches who have been in both, strongly prefer the FBS system for a good reason. It's better for the players and coaches.

Fans would probably advocate for a 16 team double elimination.

6 teams, Why? The 5 conf. champs + 1. Only rule for the 1 is if
any team in D1 wins all their games they get the 6th spot. With
6 teams the top 2 rated teams get a bye. The competition for
those 2 byes will keep every team with a chance at the playoff
playing at peak performance in every game. If there are say 2
or more non power5 teams with undefeated seasons then
have a playin game like they do with the NCAA Basketball
Tournament.

For those saying “4 is enough”, do you enjoy March Madness? They seem to make an interesting and exciting tournament even though the “experts” say only a handful of those teams have a real shot at winning it all.
This is way different than March Madness.

Moving football teams around is a way way different animal.

It's a horribly unfair system where the teams bid for being the home team. Number 16 can play at home against #1.

Most coaches who have been in both, strongly prefer the FBS system for a good reason. It's better for the players and coaches.

Fans would probably advocate for a 16 team double elimination.

So they would be playing football til February? lol

For those saying “4 is enough”, do you enjoy March Madness? They seem to make an interesting and exciting tournament even though the “experts” say only a handful of those teams have a real shot at winning it all.
Not that much. It’s a Cinderella tourney and the best team in the country doesn’t always win.
Plus it trivializes the regular season.

Not that much. It’s a Cinderella tourney and the best team in the country doesn’t always win.
Plus it trivializes the regular season.

The regular season in basketball is trivialized because of the amount of games that are played. The one and done rule has basically killed off college basketball for me as well.

Reactions: sooners49
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT