ADVERTISEMENT

ESPiN, Ohio State and Baker Mayfield.

From my personal view, I think the beginning of the decline of sportsmanship was jump started by Cassius Clay in the early 1960's. At that time his boasting and trash talking startled most people. From there, I witnessed a snowball effect over the entire sports world.
Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe with their tiresome tantrums.
Deion Sanders and his taunting, Warren Sapp and Ndamukong Suh with their cheap shots.
The list is endless and ever growing.
Now there are televised games every day in every sport in which the "all-about-me" behavior is glorified and presented as just part of the game.

Disagree about two things. One is that they were equal actions. Ohio St sings the song every week. It's not that uncommon.
Okay so using your opinion that since it's okay what Ohio State did cuz they do it every week, regardless apparently if they are home or away. Does that mean if OU chooses to make it a tradition to plant the flag at midfield whether they are home or away does that make it acceptable in your mind??

Up until recently I had no idea that Ohio State had that tradition. But if they want to go that route when they set up a home-and-home series with another program. Then they need to get ready they may face some consequences when they choose to impose their tradition on another program on their own field. That's just a fact of life man. I'm not saying Ohio State should change their tradition. It's a free country and they can do what they want. Just saying they may get some payback if they don't defend their own field when the program they did it to the previous season comes to their house. But I do not subscribe to the notion that just because a program does something out of "tradition", then it's just up to everyone else to suck it up and accept it.

But on a larger scale, you're saying that crudeness is acceptable so long as you win. There is a loser in every game. The notion that you should always win to avoid the additional embarrassment can't be universal, because there is always a loser.

It also flies in the face of what athletics in education is supposed to be about. The likelihood of escalation by those who didn't win or their fans, is logical, and it's inherent in your point of view, that it's even justified. That cannot be good or valid.
I'm not saying it's not tacky or lacking in respect for the other program. Just saying that if you lose a game, then the team you lose too may choose to celebrate in ways YOU may not enjoy. Look at the RRR every year. Do you want to prevent each side from planting the flag at midfield after that game?? Cuz I love it when OU wins and they plant the flag. Sure it's a neutral site, but the action is still the same. And having said that, it sucks having to watch Texas plant their flag when they win the game. But it goes with the territory.

Another interesting happening with Baker on Saturday

"Behind the Oklahoma bench, there were a group of Buckeye fans that were beyond over-served. I mean these dudes were lubed up. And right at halftime, right as Baker Mayfield’s getting treatment on his lower back, he comes out and these guys are just wearing him out. He finally — right before their first possession when Ohio State goes up 10-3 to start the second half and you’re going “uh-oh” — turns around and goes, “Get ready, I’m about to hand six on you bleeping bleepers”. He leads them right down the field, the score’s tied at 10. He goes straight to the bench, stands up on the bench, and just lets the Buckeye fans behind him that were giving it to Baker... he turns at them and says, “You like that one? I’ve got three or four more of those coming up. Get ready”. - Ian Fitzsimmons on Freddie & Fitz

https://www.crimsonandcreammachine....yfield-taunt-ohio-state-stadium-fans-columbus
God I love stuff like this!!!! :cool:

Disagree about two things. One is that they were equal actions. Ohio St sings the song every week. It's not that uncommon.

Just because they do it every game doesn't mean it's right, it still pisses people off.

They are arrogant assholes and they have been talking smack for 365 days. What Baker did Saturday night they earned.

Ohio State is one of those schools that believes they are on another level than anyone else. OU should have felt privileged to walk on such hallowed ground. In my opinion the bucknuggets got exactly what they deserved.

At first when I read this I thought it said "buttnuggets" so, completely confused I had to google what that exactly was. When I did, this picture came up and it was like he was answering the question for me...

https://i1.wp.com/theozone.net/wp-c...ban-Meyer-B1G-Media-Days-3.jpg?resize=370,267

Reactions: iasooner1
An ohio state fan posted a few days ago that singing the song after the game is something Tressel started when he was HC at tosu so its not a long time tradition only one started by a jerk in my opinion.

Maybe the cameras weren't following them, but I don't recall them singing it in their loss last weekend.
If it's something they do only after a win, then yes, they are being classless themselves and high-frequency rudeness doesn't excuse one from their rudeness.

Clearly Ohio State and the beat down they put on us was a motivating factor but I would remind everyone that we have been "disrespected" before on our home field...most recently by Texas Tech after Tuberville upset us in Norman. Their players gathered in front of their fans after the game and mocked our secondary's "shark" sign as our players filed off the field. I've already mentioned Miami in 1985.

Bud has most likely moved on...After Joe Don...Lance...Wahoo, etc., he would probably be unfazed by the antics in today's world...
Know of Looney's issues at OU and of Rentzel's issues after leaving OU.
What were Wahoo McDaniel's issues ?
I can't see Wilkinson coaching today's athletes.

Perhaps Baker should have planted it in Herbie.
cf20da22c88f5679fdf2b2b6cb04fef4.jpg
Well Done!!!!!! Thats greatness!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT