ADVERTISEMENT

ESPiN, Ohio State and Baker Mayfield.

roygbell

Sooner starter
Feb 11, 2011
Today, Baker Mayfield apologized for his planting the OU flag in the middle of the Ohio State Big O or whatever it is. To be honest, I was disappointed in his apology as I don't think he had a reason to apologize than did the Ohio State did last year.

I find it hypocritical of Ohio State, their players, coaches and fans to suggest what Baker did as being any more disrespectful when the they do their singing in the middle of opposing schools field after the game. It is taunting the opposing home team, it's players and fans.

I don't care what they do on their own home field, that is their business. But, on another team's field it is taunting and a show of disrespect. The Buckeyes rationalize their actions as they always do it regardless of whether it in on their field or the opposition's field. That means they simply don't have any respect for any of their opponents.

It really pissed me off when Herbie did his rant on Saturday defending his school. It is simply egotistical of the Buckeyes to not see their actions for what they are.

This is and should be a total non-issue for both OU and Ohio State.
If OU did not like OSU singing their fight song a year ago, they should have beaten OSU.
If OSU doesn't like OU sticking a flag on their field, they should have beaten OU.
There has to be something more important to be concerned about.

If you don't want teams to roll up in your house and do these things, then win. Period. It's really that simple. That applies to OU as well. To the victor goes the spoils. Defend your frikin house!!!!

But don't cry and complain when you get your butt whipped in your own house and the other team imposes it's will.

And yes...I am disappointed that Baker gave in to the PC culture and felt the need to apologize. I had hoped he had more of a sack than this.

If you don't want teams to roll up in your house and do these things, then win. Period. It's really that simple. That applies to OU as well. To the victor goes the spoils. Defend your frikin house!!!!

But don't cry and complain when you get your butt whipped in your own house and the other team imposes it's will.

And yes...I am disappointed that Baker gave in to the PC culture and felt the need to apologize. I had hoped he had more of a sack than this.

He was most likely influenced indirectly by Boren & JC but agree, he can't give up his Sooner Mojo

I'm okay with the heat of the moment flag plant and the apology after 2 days. Fire and passion make college football the greatest sport to me, but the mutual respect between two great programs is big too.

I'm not sure OU felt slighted by the Buckeyes, more it being the media essentially saying they didn't belong. Other than Baker's thing about their Alma mater song last year.

Big ol nothing burger.
fwx-burgerless-burger.jpg

This is and should be a total non-issue for both OU and Ohio State.
If OU did not like OSU singing their fight song a year ago, they should have beaten OSU.
If OSU doesn't like OU sticking a flag on their field, they should have beaten OU.
There has to be something more important to be concerned about.
Bingo, give this man a cigar.

Ohio State is one of those schools that believes they are on another level than anyone else. OU should have felt privileged to walk on such hallowed ground. In my opinion the bucknuggets got exactly what they deserved.

And this is exactly why I dislike OSU so very, very much. And they can take their tOSU, better than you crap and stick it.

All I got is.... if tOSU or any school ran around our field waving their team flag and then headed to the middle of the field to plant the flag, I'd be pissed about it. As would most everybody on this board.

Having said this, I thought it was golden. And I think his apology is just being PC. No matter what he says, he planted the flag and it can't be undone and therefore I like it.

All I got is.... if tOSU or any school ran around our field waving their team flag and then headed to the middle of the field to plant the flag, I'd be pissed about it. As would most everybody on this board.

Having said this, I thought it was golden. And I think his apology is just being PC. No matter what he says, he planted the flag and it can't be undone and therefore I like it.

Exactly what I was thinking. To bad they don't have a grass field in Columbus.

Bottom line is that OSU fans are a bunch of poor losers. They talked crap all week and the media along with Herbie gave OU no shot. Now Herbie is acting like an ass over it all because his beloved Buckeyes got their asses handed to them. Let them all cry because twice now the Buckeyes have gotten into the playoffs over more deserving teams on brand name alone.

Never understood the animosity towards Herbstreit. Over the past 15+ years he has been one of the biggest OU homers at ESPN. But the few times he picks against OU you would think he is the anti-christ the way OU fans react.

I think some people hate Herbie because he played for Ohio State, I really do not know. I guess its probably as simple as a fan of one team hating another team that you never even play like a USC, LSU, Michigan,Notre Dame etc. Some people probably have similar hates towards certain sportscasters. I really have no problem with any of them as they have an opinion like everyone else and I am sure as fans of sports themselves they have certain teams they dislike more than others. I absolutely loathe Arkansas fans and a few other fans from certain schools but really no hatred for their teams just their fans and how they are. Maybe they just don't like Herbie because he is prettier than they are. :D

I've been off the board for 4 hours or so.

I was enjoying those fun girls throughout the 2nd half Sat night... AND in several replays.
(Note to self; those girls are someone's daughters... Boomer & Sooner !)

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyRay
How goes the distillation process of ARG from saltwater JConn

Did what any good engineer would do. Found out that it was the chemists and scientists that were using the argon like gangbusters and threatening our supply, so I just isolated my machines from the house argon and put them on their own separate bottles. Did my usage analysis and predict I can keep my tools running for damn near 2 years with the couple of bottles I've got. Screw the dudes that don't check their processes for leaks. :D

I think most would agree about Herbstreit as being one of the better sportscasters but he at times is a homer just like any fans.

I won' ever forget his blantant campaign for getting LSU into the BCS championship game in 2007 after WV laid an egg against Pitt that day and even before OU had just bitch slapped Missouri who was numbet 1 at that time in the B12CG Herb began campaigning for LSU late 3rd quarter when the game was not in doubt.

He may be OU s biggest supporter that the school has at ESPN but dont kid yourself he works for the company who is associated with The SEC more than any other conference.

Bottom line is he is one of the best they have ( I think Rece Davis is the best they have ) but in the end he is going to do and say what ESPN tells him to say.

He works for the evil empire but he is one of the least biased I have seen on espin.
Gotta love ESPiN....now ESPN anchor Jamele Hill is ranting that Trump is a white supremacist and was elected by white supremacists. She won't be taken to task. ESPN is too concerned with Robert Lee doing a gig or Curt Schilling having an opinion.

Reactions: iasooner1

Couldn't disagree more, and we've had OUr share over the years. Win with class. That was the opposite.

Can you imagine the Sooner outcry if Miami had done that in '85? We'd still be talking about it.

Or Klein from KState? Rubbing somebody's nose in your win is not something to be proud of.

And that attitude is a metaphor for what's wrong with the country today, causing so many divisions. Compete ferociously. But not indecently.

Reactions: iasooner1
Couldn't disagree more, and we've had OUr share over the years. Win with class. That was the opposite.

Can you imagine the Sooner outcry if Miami had done that in '85? We'd still be talking about it.

Or Klein from KState? Rubbing somebody's nose in your win is not something to be proud of.

And that attitude is a metaphor for what's wrong with the country today, causing so many divisions. Compete ferociously. But not indecently.
I do not disagree with you Plaino, but from one old timer to another, the days of civility and sportsmanship....winning or losing with dignity...are virtually over.

Ya it would have sucked if Miami had done something similar. Losing sucks. Dealing with the fallout from losing can suck. But show up and win.

And I would disagree with your stance that this type of attitude is what's wrong with this country today. I think the opposite, in that living life having to cater to everyone else feelings and worrying about being politically correct all the time is what's really wrong. I would have more respect for Baker had he stood up there Monday and said he doesn't regret planting that flag cuz it was an answer to what Ohio State did the previous year.

Now in Baker's situation, I doubt he would have done with he did had Ohio State not sung their song on Owen Field last year holding a sign that said "BASIC DEFENSE" which was a clear taunt of what OU players had said prior to the game. But ya know what, Baker had said prior to the game that what Ohio State did got in the teams pride. So Ohio State should have expected something similar would have been done if they failed to defend their own field.

Another interesting happening with Baker on Saturday

"Behind the Oklahoma bench, there were a group of Buckeye fans that were beyond over-served. I mean these dudes were lubed up. And right at halftime, right as Baker Mayfield’s getting treatment on his lower back, he comes out and these guys are just wearing him out. He finally — right before their first possession when Ohio State goes up 10-3 to start the second half and you’re going “uh-oh” — turns around and goes, “Get ready, I’m about to hand six on you bleeping bleepers”. He leads them right down the field, the score’s tied at 10. He goes straight to the bench, stands up on the bench, and just lets the Buckeye fans behind him that were giving it to Baker... he turns at them and says, “You like that one? I’ve got three or four more of those coming up. Get ready”. - Ian Fitzsimmons on Freddie & Fitz

https://www.crimsonandcreammachine....yfield-taunt-ohio-state-stadium-fans-columbus

Ya it would have sucked if Miami had done something similar. Losing sucks. Dealing with the fallout from losing can suck. But show up and win.

And I would disagree with your stance that this type of attitude is what's wrong with this country today. I think the opposite, in that living life having to cater to everyone else feelings and worrying about being politically correct all the time is what's really wrong. I would have more respect for Baker had he stood up there Monday and said he doesn't regret planting that flag cuz it was an answer to what Ohio State did the previous year.

Now in Baker's situation, I doubt he would have done with he did had Ohio State not sung their song on Owen Field last year holding a sign that said "BASIC DEFENSE" which was a clear taunt of what OU players had said prior to the game. But ya know what, Baker had said prior to the game that what Ohio State did got in the teams pride. So Ohio State should have expected something similar would have been done if they failed to defend their own field.

Disagree about two things. One is that they were equal actions. Ohio St sings the song every week. It's not that uncommon.

But on a larger scale, you're saying that crudeness is acceptable so long as you win. There is a loser in every game. The notion that you should always win to avoid the additional embarrassment can't be universal, because there is always a loser.

It also flies in the face of what athletics in education is supposed to be about. The likelihood of escalation by those who didn't win or their fans, is logical, and it's inherent in your point of view, that it's even justified. That cannot be good or valid.

I have no problem with Ohio State singing their song at Owen Field. I also loved that Baker planted the flag at mid field. In my opinion there is way to much politically correct behavior in this world today. I also had no problem with the Hurricanes celebrating after they scored back in the 80's. Baker shouldn't have apologized.

ADVERTISEMENT