ADVERTISEMENT

Duvante Lampkin

You guys hearing anything about this guy?

Stole this from ZachG on another site. Favorites seem to be OU with LSU inquiring. He was a 4 star DT that decomitted from OU to sign with Texas.

CGSEgJbUcAEgmlE.jpg:large

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I'm hearing he wants to play DE and OU will let him do that, AND let him do so without foreign language on his HS transcript???

The only downside if he switches to OU would be giving Horns more fodder to beat us over the head about their "superior academic standards"--forgetting that there are hundreds of other schools with whom he could sign, not just OU.

There is a lot of contradictory information about him.

The most reliable I've heard, is that there is a class that he needed to have to be able to enroll at Texas that he doesn't have and cannot get by the start of the season. It's not that he decided he didn't want to go to Texas. It's that he couldn't get in.

My source on that also said that he doesn't need that specific course to get into OU.

The contradictions are many. On the premium board here, it has been reported that Texas will not release him from his LOI. But according to what I've read, they cannot hold him to his LOI, if he is denied admittance by them. The info on the pay board here, from a poster, not the staff, says that if they don't release him, he can still transfer, just not within the conference. But that is not what the standard LOI says, according to information elsewhere.

If this scenario is true, then the way the XII handled the kid who never signed an LOI, might go the same way. If he decides to go to another XII school, he might have to sit a year and lose a year of eligibility, or might even have to sit two years.

This is where NCAA politics gets involved, and that is likely more unpredictable than Washington politics if that's possible.

The other night at the Tulsa Caravan stop, BStoops said that he keeps hearing talk about people who claim to know who the starting quarterback will be next season, and he is certain that they don't, because he doesn't.

I think the same thing is the case here. Anybody who says they know, doesn't. And if Texas can block other conference schools, then maybe not even Du'Vanta does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section22Sooner
Texas can keep him in limbo until the 1st day of classes. If, as Plano stated the don't admit him because he didn't qualify he is free of his LOI.

And then there is this that I borrowed from very reliable poster...

"Any school can waive its own admission requirements, so the foreign language thing is not any kind of insurmountable bar. Lampkin has to be notified that he is actually denied admission to benefit from the NLI rule making the letter null and void.

All schools that are in the NLI program have agreed to refrain from contacting recruits once they have signed with another school that has also agreed to the terms of the NLI program. If a school breaks that rule, it risks having the NLI program declare all of its letters null and void and open season on that school's signees."

Strong wont have a say in where he goes. He was never enrolled at UT they will have to release his letter of intent, he will be free to go where he can get in.

Reactions: TexShoe
Strong wont have a say in where he goes. He was never enrolled at UT they will have to release his letter of intent, he will be free to go where he can get in.

I didn't understand it that way, but that's good news if he wants to be a Sooner.

I thought a letter of intent was a binding contract

What is the National Letter of Intent (NLI)?
The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an NLI member institution

• A prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the institution full-time for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
  • The institution agrees to provide athletics financial aid for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
Basic penalty for not fulfilling the NLI agreement: A student-athlete has to serve one year in residence (full-time, two semesters or three quarters) at the next NLI member institution and lose one season of competition in all sports.

Last edited:
I thought a letter of intent was a binding contract

What is the National Letter of Intent (NLI)?
The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an NLI member institution

• A prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the institution full-time for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
  • The institution agrees to provide athletics financial aid for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
Basic penalty for not fulfilling the NLI agreement: A student-athlete has to serve one year in residence (full-time, two semesters or three quarters) at the next NLI member institution and lose one season of competition in all sports.
Gramps, I would not want a player who does not want to play for "my" team/school. On the other hand, I can see where coaches and/or others might start poaching players.

I suppose if any player wants to come to OU he/she should be allowed with no penalty. However, if a player wants to transfer from OU he/she should be beaten with a cane for even mentioning it.

That's only true if he doesn't qualify and whether he does or doesn't, or will or won't soon is still under debate.

Latest I'm hearing from one of his fellow 2015 Texas signees is that Duvante is now trying to get that credit to get into Texas. Stay tuned...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT