ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: What I know on the Thad Turnipseed situation | Thoughts

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
Sorry, it took so long. I have been out of pocket...but...

First, it was broke by SoonerScoop, so props to them for that.

Second, while out coaching my kids football team my phone kept blowing up. I normally don't pick up, but after the third call (This time being Parker), he informed me that Turnipseed was out at OU. So I apologize for just getting this up, but my first thought was 'what the hell. This makes zero sense.'

But, as I started to dig on things, it started to line up. I had heard that there were disagreements with Thad Turnipseed and some within the program on things before. On that note, one source that I spoke to within the university told OUinsider, "Things just didn't work out in some certain capacities and it was just best for both parties."

That source told me that they would call it a "resignation," though as you will read below, there are a few differing views on why this may have taken place. On top of that, it was odd in timing, particularly with a $175 million dollar facility that would soon be announced, and that new football facility having Turnipseed's hands all over it.

As far as what some felt was a reason, I have had differing conversations. Some feel Thad was doing things the right way, while others feel there was a better approach on things could get resolved or accomplished within the program.

Also, I think you'll see Joe Castiglione take a more aggressive role within the move to the SEC. The longtime Sooners AD has his own plans for things like NIL, facilities and more, and whatever those are will start to be seen publicly over the next few years as Oklahoma moves into the SEC.

As for what's next and if OU will fill the Executive Director of Football Administration before the season, if at all? Several sources feel that Brent Venables himself will likely take a "wait it out approach," a source said. "I think right now, he just wants to coach this season and win. That's his first priority. Then see what's needed after the season ends. So I just can't see any movement right after all of this went down. The focus is and will be on the 2023 season.. for everyone."

As it should be...

I will continue to dig on this, but I am headed on vacation tomorrow, so I will be around a bit less over the next week or so. Parker will still be around and Jesse Crittenden will, too, so plenty of content and updates on this, team stuff and more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News