DrummBeat: Wednesday 4-star DE recruiting note

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
Make this quick and painless:

1. As you can expect, and what we have said was likely the case from the start, unless something changes I am told Texas is continuing to be the most likely scenario for 2024 four-star DE Zina Umeozulu and his pick.

Seems that is the strong feel in the Switzer Center today and no one is overly surprised or upset about it.

I know that last sentence seemed weird, right? Well…

2. As said above, OU isn’t fretting too much right now and will keep recruiting the four-star EDGE. On top of that, Texas has an open visit policy for their commits, so with Umeozulu already having a visit set for the last week or so to Norman, the question now becomes whether or not that visit is still upheld?

The obvious answer to that question is ‘NO,’ right? Well, one would think so, but Umeozulu has yet to cancel, and as noted above Texas has an open visit policy with their commits. Because of all of that, I’m told Umeozulu and his family have stayed the course so far and will decide on whether the visit takes place or not later this week. My gut says it won’t, but I do want to make it clear Umeozulu is different. Goes about things differently. So, keep that in mind.

Having said all of that, I do expect OU to recruit Umeozulu until they, 1) Have Okoye in the boat, and/or 2) they somehow flip him OR Nwaneri. Either way, Oklahoma walks away with two DE’s that are solid to elite, with the chance to flip/sign another big-time DE down the stretch before NSD.

My point is to not take this too harshly, as I don’t expect most will because it seemed like UT was obvious pick from the jump — as we have stated.

Parker and I are working on more notes, but I did want to clarify a few things with Umeozulu this morning.

Stay tuned for more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News