ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: Tuesday recruiting notes | OL notes

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
*** First, I know lots of people have questions about 2024 four-star OL Grant Brix. Oklahoma has been in a battle with Nebraska and that continues to be the case. That said, the longer this drags out, the more this one looks like Nebraska may be the more patient team. The Huskers also seem to be gaining some headway as well. I know that OU is working to try and get Brix back to Norman before he makes a decision, but that isn't something that is 100% set just yet.

As for where the Sooners feel things are at right now, I was told, "(OU) feels like (they) are in a who can hold on the longest match with Nebraska," the source said. "The idea or hope, originally, was Brix trying to see how the two teams will play to start the season. Now, it feels like (OU) is trying to convince him that being a bit further from home will be a good longterm move. Feels like if this thing drags out through the middle of October, it may be even harder to sway him."

I tend to agree with the source on the latter part of that quote. If it does drag into October, it doesn't feel like it is good for the Sooners. And with the biggest question always being whether Brix would be willing to leave that area he grew up in, with Nebraska being a mere hour or two from his hometown.

I don't think this one is over, and with ISU game being a 6pm kickoff, on September 30th, I continue to hear there is a chance that Brix makes it back for that game. That said, if Brix doesn't return to OU that weekend, it becomes harder to see the Sooners winning this battle. That's even taking into account the fact Brix is viewed by many as "as different type of kid in how he goes about his recruitment." Again, that latter part seems to be the hold up, but the Sooners and Bill Bedenbaugh haven't given up and are working to get him back on campus before September ends.

My Take: You can't help but see this one trending a bit to the Huskers side of things, but if the Sooners can get Brix back on campus for the ISU game, I think it would be naive to think they couldn't come in and win that battle. Especially if the Huskers struggle vs Louisiana Tech and Michigan in the weeks to come.

Still, I tend to favor the Huskers by a slight margin at this juncture.

We will have more later on as we gather more info on Brix.

*** On the flip side of things, the Sooners seem to be feeling better about things with four-star OL Eddy Pierre-Louis. Sources I spoke with recently still feel it's an OU/UCF/Oregon battle. Again, much like with four-star OL Grant Brix, the Sooners and Bill Bedenbaugh are looking to try and sway EPL to leave the Central Florida area and move up to play with several of his friends in Norman.

If the Sooners can pull that off, it wouldn't surprise many with his relationship with Sooners five-star DL David Stone, QB commit Michael Hawkins and a few others. Stone and EPL have become fairly close after Stone moved down to IMG Academy in the Tampa/Bradenton (FL) area. Still, the battle of having EPL move away from his mother is also a challenge for the Sooners. Even with that challenge, and the location working against the Sooners, I have been told that BB's ability to develop OL into the league is a major factor. One that seems to working in the Sooners' favor a bit at this time.

My Take: I actually am starting to like the Sooners here and feel they may be the team to beat at this time. I really never thought much of that chance until a month or two ago (after he gave UCF indication they would be the pick back in June), but the longer this drags out, the more the Sooners can push their SEC narrative to go along with BB's ability to produce elite OL to the NFL quite often. Add that Michael Hawkins and David Stone have been pushing the four-star OL, and the you start to see why OU is making a late run here.

Lastly, I have heard rumblings of a potential decision coming in the next month or so. I have not heard a definitive date just yet, but a source today told me, "It's coming soon. Can't see him getting out of October uncommitted at this time and I would pick the Sooners if I was to make a guess today."

Take that for what you will, but if the Sooners do lose out on Brix -- even with that being a big loss -- closing the OL class out with Daniel Akinkunmi and EPL would be quite the finish. Especially with IMG Academy five-star OL Jordan Seaton still on the market and visiting the Sooners on September 30th.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News