ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: Transfer visit notes (UPDATE 8:01pm)

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
Update 7:25 PM

*** Not the news you want to hear, but OU has Damonic Williams on campus Friday afternoon to Sunday around 4 PM, but at the end of the day, the transfer target left without committing.

They did tell OU on Saturday night the visits were taking place no matter what, but in the NIL era there was hope OU could completely shut that down with a huge NIL package that dwarfed what we had heard from other programs.

Unfortunately, that didn’t work and Williams and his people have gone silent on me today (at least at time of update), but I’m told momma and Williams himself absolutely loved Oklahoma.

What stinks — and at the same time is very telling, in my opinion — is that the schools he’s visiting have changed a few times. Now, I’m hearing TX, Oregon and A&M as the places he will visit. I will work to reconfirm that, but multiple sources said that to me tonight already.

Edit (8:01 PM): Williams called me and we spoke. I’m at the Thunder game with family, but OU set the bar. Their plan was to visit teams no matter what and go through the process, so as much as this doesn’t look bad, it’s not completely over. Just makes it much more of a bear to win, obviously.

The teams he will visit are now TX, Missouri, Oregon and LSU. He did not say A&M. Just want to make that clear. Said he had “3 or 4” visits left. We will see how far into the process he makes it, but said a week after visits are finished (in next two weeks total) a decision will be made.

I’ll have quotes later. (End Edit: 8:01).

Obviously that doesn’t sound too good, but if OU is still willing to be in the ballpark, or exceed others, when it finally does become decision time for Williams, who knows how this turns out? Just not something I hold my breath with at this point.

On a good note, I do think OU is going to be tough to beat with DT transfer Jermayne Lole. So going 2 for 3 this weekend is a win, but at the same time it’s tough to hear you didn’t close on the biggest name of them all.

Lastly, what I can say with confidence on Williams is that OU is not short-changing on the NIL front. They put out a very, very substantial NIL package that was more than generous, per multiple sources. However, in our first report we said sources around him made a point to state that he didn’t go through the process much out of HS and that was big for him to do so this time around. Seems they are holding true on that.

More on this as I get it. What I have heard so far. Stay tuned.

*** Start with the big one in Damonic Williams. As of this second, he is still in Norman and going over things with the staff at the Switzer Center. I’m told they went out this morning for breakfast with the staff and have watched film.

The final pitches (that includes NIL pitches and working to get Williams in the fold) will be made before he leaves and one can expect a decision on whether or not he will take the visit to Texas at that time (it may happen, but no final decision has been made just yet). We will update you, though, IF the visit to Texas is to take place. Obviously, if it does things will get much harder on the Williams’ front.

As a source said today, Williams is a special talent and one that I’ve been told “OU will try and out NIL everyone else for him. Some positions and players are worth going all-in with it and Williams is one of those.”

Everyone has their price, but will OU be able to close this one down and not let him leave Norman without signing? That’s what we are watching closely. Very closely.

I will talk with Williams’ people sometime today and work on notes so stay tuned (no promise on update time with wife and I anniversary today).

*** Really like where things stand with SMU transfer center Branson Hickman. This one is all but trending toward the Sooners, and I wouldn’t be shocked to see some good news pop in the next 24-48 hrs if things keep moving the way they have.

*** Lastly, Louisville transfer DT Jermayne Lole has “loved every minute of his time,” per a source. So much like Hickman, this feels like it’s OU’s to lose and one would surmise a decision is forthcoming.

Now, if something was to change on the Lole or Hickman fronts, we will assuredly update you all as expediently as possible. That said, I’m not hearing much that makes me think that will be the case, but stay tuned on OUinsider just in case.

All in all, great weekend for OU. Just have to close the deal with Damonic Williams and it becomes a weekend to remember.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News