ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: Sooners’ staffers on the road | 2026 QB | 2027 QB note | 2025 and 2026 TE notes | More (12:10 PM)

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
*** I’ll start with TE. Oklahoma is looking for a 2025 TE. Obviously, top guys like Da’Saahn Brame and Nate Roberts (committed to Ohio State) have been the Sooners focal point. But another name is Brock Harris in the 2026 class. More on Harris in a minute.

As for 2025 TE recruiting, if the Sooners don’t land one of their top two or three guys (and Brame has yet to budge on the Oregon visit on June 21), I can see the Sooners scrapping it and just adding a young, talented TE in the portal with multiple years still available.

Obviously that is just some buzz I’m getting at this juncture, but it’s also not 100% concrete. Still, wanted you all aware.

As for Harris, he visited OU last summer and earned and offer at one of the camps he attended. The expectation is that he will once again camp at OU and he told me, “OU will get an official when that day comes.”

On the 2026 TE talent, we got to watch the 2026 Rivals 100 TE at camp. Harris was far and away the top TE at DFW Rivals Camp and earned a gold ball yesterday.

With Harris’ interest in OU, you have to label him as one to watch once Oklahoma starts to really move aggressively towards pushing for a TE in 2026.

*** On another 2026 note, I’m told OU will be by to 2026 four-star QB Jonas Williams in the next 24-48 hrs. The staffers that will be making their rounds in Illinois will be Seth Littrell and Bill Bedenbaugh.

Spoke to a source last night that remains very high on Williams, and with the big-time ‘26 QB looking to camp at OU this summer, I expect more clarity on where that one will trend.

What I can tell you as of today, is that Williams is high on OU and Oklahoma is high on him. Camps will be an interesting factor with how 2026 QB ends up.

So stay tuned for that come June.

*** 2027 QB Peyton Houston — for my money — is the best 2027 QB I’ve seen so far and it’s not close (though some really good OKpreps QBs that are still developing could end up being big-time as well). Houston won a gold ball, yesterday, and he was sporting OU stuff on his bag and the Oklahoma crimson Jumpman logo on his cleats.

So, why the strong interest in OU from a kid that grew up going to LSU games? I asked Houston just that and he said, “Development. They have always developed QBs and still are doing that with what they have had under the new staff,” Houston said.

That interest in OU is being reciprocated by Seth Littrell and the Sooners, with the OU OC heading to Evangel Christian in Shreveport (LA) in a few weeks, Houston told OUinsider and sources confirmed that last night.

Houston will also return the effort by the Sooners’ staff, with elite 2027 QB making a trip to OU for camp in June, he said.

Another interesting factor is that the same school that produced Sooners QB General Booty’s family is the one that Houston goes to, so there is a strong OU appeal there for Oklahoma (also waiting on the truck and Brent Rawls jokes… lol).

All in all, the Sooners have started to pinpoint a few 2027 QBs and I would be shocked if Houston isn’t at or near the top for Oklahoma when that time comes, so I would file that name away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News