ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: Notes on two OL transfer targets | More on McClellan (Mon 1:50pm)

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
UPDATE

Not hearing much traction on the OU side with DL Chris McClellan, so this thing seems to be leaning Mizzou, as we have said would be the case if OU doesn’t go all-in.

I’m also told things are gonna start moving more quickly and a decision could come as early as next 24 hours or late as Friday. All depends on if they are ready to shut things down with a few more programs trying to throw their hats in the ring for McClellan as well.

Again, we are watching this closely, and things have been interesting behind the scenes, so we will update as we get info that we feel is worthwhile to report.

*** I expect former freshman All-American and UNT transfer OL, Febechi Nwaiwu to be a Sooner. We have stayed reporting that and threw his name out as a likely target and addition to the Sooners’ roster a few weeks ago.

*** The other uncommitted transfer OL that visited OU this past weekend was MSU OG Geno VanDeMark. His addition seemed likely, but the Sooners are battling a late surge and NIL offer from Michigan State, per multiple sources.

OU is working on solidifying things, and as things sit I still pick OU. However, this was a sure thing not 72 hours ago so this late twist regarding the MSU transfer OG is a bit of a surprise.

We are going to continue to monitor things but there was still confidence in where OU stood with VanDeMark earlier this morning. Just not to the level of once was before MSU came calling again.

However, I still think this ends in OU’s favor as it sits a 1:20 pm today. Updates coming if we feel it has swung in the Spartans’ direction.

*** As for Florida transfer DL Chris McClellan, I continue to hear that no decision is imminent, or at least not today. One person with knowledge told OUinsider that a decision was likely the back half of this week, if a final decision is made (Weds to Sunday).

Another source close to the situation told OUinsider that McClellan is back in Gainesville packing things up, but that he would be back in Tulsa later this week to fully discuss things with the entire family following his OV’s to Mizzou and Colorado, and his in-home with the Sooners.

Mizzou has confidence in their standing with McClellan following the OV Friday. With the logistics and being in the SEC, you can see why after the NIL part is added as well.

Colorado is another contender after his OV there Saturday and Sunday. However, I’m told Big 12 is the drawback there. Just unsure how much of one with him showing interest in the Buffs and their NIL package being more than competitive.

With OU, it’s a matter of wanting to play the NIL game in this scenario. Both parties seem to want to be connected and have McClellan be a Sooner, but OU has a proverbial line drawn in the sand, per sources on McClellan side and sources I spoke with today around Norman. As reported earlier, it’s a matter of OU playing the game the way McClellan’s camp feels is needed on the NIL side to get him. It’s not all that matters, but it’s a decent portion and enough of one that could sway things away from OU if they don’t want to go that route just yet. But will be the end-all with OU moving forward, and to be honest, I get the sense OU is willing to hold pat. At least that was my sense earlier this weekend and today as I spoke with a few folks.

If OU doesn’t play, they have a very solid 2024 recruiting class coming in at the position, and they also have some good depth and experience coming back as well. With that, there is buzz OU could be waiting to see what happens post bowl season to see who might enter the transfer portal at DL and go from there.

Again, we will continue to monitor this and update as needed but I wouldn’t be shocked to see this trend away from OU. We called Mizzou the ‘sneaky’ team to watch last week. That continues to be the case.

Either way, we will update you all on information that changes here.

*** Finally, I spoke to a source once again today that told OUinsider that communication between Texas A&M OL Chase Bisontis and the Sooners was “virtually nothing.”

I know there has been some things said about OU making a run or in constant communication — on social media and other places — but we at OUinsider hadn’t been able to confirm that to be the case. Multiple sources actually say the opposite, but we will keep digging around and update accordingly.

If that does ever become a viable option for OU, I’d be willing to say that the Sooners would play ball on the NIL front with Bisontis.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News