ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: Latest on TE recruiting buzz...

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
Okay, so I have been on the phone for a while now trying to piece together some information on where things are headed with OU, Miami and even neutral sources. What I have so far is....

1) Miami is in constant communication with Davon Mitchell and they are feeling good about things. On that same token, the Sooners staff, and Joe Jon Finley, has been in constant communication with the big-time TE as well. That is one thing that is playing into confidence on both sides, though Bama seems to feel it's not going to be them and that it's going to be OU at this time, from what I have heard (Though I still have been directly told not to count out Bama by one source and that is the same source that has told me Bama was a major contender before it became a thing nationally).

2) OU has played the NIL game here, but from what I have heard they are having to hold off some insane amounts from the Canes and Roll Tide. Pretty direct and to the point information there, right? Unfortunately, it's that simple, but OU is doing a lot here, even with some others throwing money around (MIAMI) that may be too hard to say no to in the end. All that said, let's see how it plays out come decision time before you all go assuming and saying things about anyone, please. I just am putting some information in front of you that I have been told by credible sources over the last few hours.

3) Sources also tell OUinsider that Miami and OU are set to speak with Mitchell again later tonight. How that plays into a final decision is anyone's guess at this point. Though, with a decision in less than 24 hours, you have feel those talks will be make or break, right?

4) I also spoke with two OU sources just over last few hours that still feel optimistic about things regarding Mitchell. However, their confidence wasn't as strong as it was just 24 hours ago and that has a lot to do with Miami's recent surge here. There is no denying that fact. How OU combats that and closes this thing out will be very interesting.

5) All that said, I still like OU for now. Although I, too, am less confident in where things are with Mitchell and that is probably how the big-time TE actually wants it come decision time. The ambiguity and uncertainty of things right now builds the suspense and makes it more of a surprise nationally. That is also something some sources feel is taking place. How much validity there is to that is not something I could confirm nor deny at this time. It's more opinion than anything else, as far as I am concerned. At least until I can confirm it 100% and that won't be known until a announcement is made, so...

6) Still, from a perspective of just making sense, the Sooners are very much the common sense choice here. Why, you ask?

Well, with OU using the TE quite a bit over the years, and in Lebby's system being creative with that position, it bodes well for Mitchell in Norman. Then you go to the QB situation at each program. It is seemingly much deeper in top-tier talent at OU. Especially during his time in Norman (Bama brining in a transfer from ND to hopefully be the guy -- with a 5-star QB in 2024, of course. And then Miami's QB's struggling last year, along with them missing on their top QB's in the last three classes).

And finally, he has friends and comfortability in Norman. More so than the other two, according to sources. Of course, his mom and some family are in Alabama, but they seem to be less of a player here than Miami and sources seem to feel that Mitchell's mother likes the Sooners staff quite a bit. Even could be back in Norman for the Party in the Palace if he chooses OU tomorrow.

So, all of that just lines up with the Sooners here, but common sense doesn't always win out in recruiting, and especially in the NIL era. We have seen that time and again. And if this one swings in the Canes' direction in the end, I would liken this to a David Hicks type of situation. Said that in another thread and I stand by that.

Moreover, the money and what he likes about Miami location wise -- and Bama too with mom and family there -- makes it not as cut and dry as it once was even a few days ago.

But Parker and I will explain why we have been confident and felt good following yesterday's post that Parker put up. Still, this one is closer to 50/50 heading into a decision and that makes us have to keep a watchful eye and keep our ears to the ground as we get down the decision time tomorrow afternoon.
It's not a done deal either way it seems, so this thing has a chance to swing in either direction tomorrow.

Stay tuned.

Back to my family "vacation" but I wanted to get something up after talking to a bunch of people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News