ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: Latest on Sooners 2024 four-star RB target Taylor Tatum | Is OU making a surprise push?

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
Yesterday, I stopped by Longview (TX) to see 2024 four-star RB Taylor Tatum.

Honestly, I’m a bit surprised where OU stands with Taylor, after speaking with him and sources around the program.

First, what the Longview (TX) four-star RB had to say:

Initially, I was under the impression that OU liked Tatum and that he was returning that feeling, but at the same time, it felt like both had their eyes on others. However, that’s not exactly the case here.

Tatum has some official visits set up this summer and they start with USC on June 2nd. Tatum also said that Michigan was getting an official as well. That visit will take place on the second or the last weekend in June.

That leaves us with OU and their visit. The four-star RB said he would be in Norman for the Sooners’ ChampU BBQ. Taylor was also supposed to be at the Oklahoma spring game, but said his track team finished further than they thought they would by making it to area and passed regionals.

Still, Oklahoma is in a really solid spot here due to the relationship that Sooners RB coach Demarco Murray has built with Tatum. Tatum even said, “My dad and Coach Murray are like best friends,” Taylor said. “they talk every day, and I even talk with him, his wife and his kids on the phone every week. We have gotten really tight.”

In speaking with sources, they echoed that same sentiment regarding Tatum’s father and Sooners RB coach Demarco Murray. Sources also say there is a good feeling in Norman regarding the Sooners’ chances with the four-star RB. One source even added that they felt “(OU) is positioned in a really good spot with [Taylor],” adding, “He’s been really good with (OU) and he is a guy that could challenge for PT early if he keeps his head down and grinds. He’s that talented.”

Final Thoughts: As noted above, I was a bit cynical of the Sooners and Tatum, even with some of the buzz surrounding the two over the last few weeks. That said, him being as open as he was, and sources seemingly on a similar page at as Tatum, has really made me a believer in the Sooners’ chances.

I’m not saying I’ll throw a Future Cast in yet or anything like that, but I’m 20 times closer today than I was prior to me visiting Longview, yesterday. If the OV goes well, Tatum in the Sooners 24K is very much a real possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News