ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: How it all went down with Sooners landing Jayden Jackson | Does this help with Stone? | Monkey off Bates back?

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
Okay, I told you all I would explain why I didn’t want to put in a pick for JJ leading up to his announcement and here’s why:

*** First, I spoke with two sources around Norman that are as dialed into recruiting on defensive side as it gets and was told to “have a story ready on Jayden Jackson.”

The same few sources told me to please don’t put a pick in because it’s not out there like that with where (OU) stands.

So, instead of putting a pick in I decided to tell you all that I thought OU was battling Texas, Miami and Ohio State — they were at that point — and that OU seems to be making a big push. After my notes, it didn’t take long for everyone else to catch wind of that same buzz.

*** So why not say OU lead at the time of my OG post on JJ trending? Well, that’s a great question…

The answer is simple. Sources warned that this had the chance to become a Tausili Akana deal of things weren’t closed out properly by OU, so Texas was still in the running then. Basically, NIL is the great equalizer at times.

*** It was later that day that things seemed to fizzle out in Austin and then became Miami trying to make a late push. Both of which OU held off in the end.

*** So, how did this begin? Well, OU offered back in March and the Sooners tried to get him up for a visit.

However, it wasn’t until late June that Jackson was able to arrive in Norman, and it was his final day on campus that 5-star IMG teammate David Stone arrived to essentially host the 4-star Sooners commit.

*** Will Jackson’s commitment play into Stone‘a final decision or help land the 5-star?

I don’t know just yet. What I do know is that they had three similar programs they were highly considering (OU, Miami and Florida), and it was Todd Bates and the Sooners that won out with Jackson.

Also, even if I don’t know 100%, I’d have to be naive to think Jackson’s commitment won’t have some bearing or weight on Stone’s final decision. So would anyone else questioning that fact. The only real question is how much will it play into it.

*** Speaking of decisions, this one with Jackson seems to be just the beginning of what could be a special DL class, and it was by design as 2024 has always been the class OU has looked toward to be “the game-changer” on the DL.

One source even told me in spring if 2023 that, “(OU) needs a few in 2023, but that 2024 class is where (OU) starts to change the complexion of the DL,” they said to me in spring of ‘23. “It’s such a deep class and (OU) won’t have to go far to get some guys (OU) needs to transform the defense.”

So, this has long been a plan for OU. Obviously, the few they missed on in ‘23 was tough but you can see how “all-in” OU is going with this DL class in 2024. And if OU, Todd Bates and Miguel Chavis close out on another 2 or 4 targets, things would look to trend into the 24K DL class being one of the all-tiners at that position, and it seems Sooners fans are sensing that as well.

Now, it’s closing time over the next few months. Any combination of Oklahoma landing two to four more of 5-star DL David Stone, 5-star DE/DL Williams Nwaneri, 4-star DL Dominick McKinley, 4-star DE Danny Okoye, 4-star DE Zina Umeozulu or 4-star DL Nigel Smith would have Sooner Nation ecstatic of the potential future of the DL under Brent Venables and company.

Some of those answers could come as soon as later this month or early August, with Nwaneri looking like an August 1st decision and David Stone also seemingly getting down to decision time. Landing anyone of those two over the next few weeks could tip things into overdrive, but caution is the way to go until things are done.

Still, even if it’s cautious exuberance, OU fans have every right to be stoked about what could be. They are seeing OU recruiting at levels the fans aren’t used to, with more potential good news to come in the next week or so.

To end this, the one thing I think we can all agree on is that Todd Bates got a few monkeys off his back by surprising many when he landed Jayden Jackson’s commitment. The rest of the monkeys will be off his back if he can land one of Stone, McKinley or Smith soon.

Such is life as a blue blood coach. Celebrate todays victory, but tomorrow’s recruiting win is now all that matters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News