ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: Early Monday morning buzz| Five-star DE note| Can more good news be expected this week?| Safety recruiting notes & MORE (Mon 2:04 am)

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
*** I will start with some buzz I am hearing on some potential good news over the next 24-72 hours. Sources I have talked with, along with the recruit himself, tell me that a decision could be forthcoming.

This is not Taylor Tatum and it's not Xavier Robinson, I want to make that clear. Still, to keep things a bit more mysterious I will just leave it at that.

Basically, I wanted you aware that I have been told some potential good news is coming down the pipeline. If things change with said Sooners target, I will update you all on whatever I am hearing. As for now, I continue to hear it should pop in the next 2 to 3 days... if not sooner.

*** I know there are a lot of Sooners fans that are nervous about five-star DE Williams Nwaneri's visit to UGA this past weekend.

I know UGA is making a move -- and Parker will talk with Nwaneri and sources around him in KC later on -- but from the Sooners' side of things it's business as usual, from what I have been told. Sources continue to state to me that there hasn't been any change in how his recruitment or communication has gone with the OU staff -- even while in Athens. That's good news for OU, no matter how minor that may be.

That said, I do feel there is a decision looming. It could come in the next week or even the following week, but most everyone I talk with about the elite edge rusher tells me that by the first week of August (at the latest) there should be some definitive movement and a decision made.

Another thing that is interesting is that there is some confidence that OU could host Nwaneri at the end of July (sourced info and Parker and I are working to confirm with Nwaneri). With his teammates Isaiah Mozee and Ka'Mori Moore also having a potential visit set for the "Sooners Under the Stars" event in late July, there are some that believe a potential visit back to Norman has a decent to good chance of happening with the the five-star DE. However, it's early and a lot can change between now and then. Obviously, if he were to commit elsewhere, I wouldn't count on the visit taking place. That's why I also feel like Nwaneri may not have anything set in stone, with him working on a final decision sooner rather than later.

In speaking to a source that isn't on either side of this, I was told something very interesting The source made it very specific to state some pros and cons for OU with Nwaneri, saying to me, "Think about it. You have a kid that is very family oriented to where distance is somewhat of a factor, right," the source pointed out. "You have his coach that played at OU and has known a lot of (the OU staff) for years. You have his close friend and former high school teammate, Cayden Green, at OU. You also have his good friend, and also family friend, PJ Adebawore already in Norman, too."

The source went on adding, "Relationships and location say OU is going to be tough to beat. But UGA has the titles and recent NFL Draft picks from there. I know (the OU staff) will push the Clemson guys that have been drafted, and after one year there isn't much (the OU staff) can do. But recruits need tangible evidence and UGA has that in loads with how long they have been in Athens. (The OU staff) needs to get some guys to the league this next year or two, and then it will be easier to be like the Clemson's and UGA's of the world when recruiting DL."

The source ended the Nwaneri talk by adding, "But if Nwaneri is the relationship guy most feel he is, I still think OU is a tough out. That's what (the OU staff) seems to do best."

My take: One, I agree with the source that tangible evidence is needed in Norman, but I also feel recruits know that in one year you can't expect to quantify anything tangible in DL development -- at least not with what OU was left with regarding interior guys. And two, OU has the connections, the relationships and the location. They also have the fact they have been the one constant in this recruitment and that has to account for something, right?

I ask that because my general rules in recruiting -- and these aren't full proof 100 percent of the time, but they are in the 90 percents -- is that the team that is constant and talked about in all aspects, no matter what other targets change, is the one that is probably the leader or going to land the recruit. The other rule is that you always follow the visits. So, in that case, with OU being the main constant in Nwaneri's recruitment, and with a potential return visit in late July(we have yet to confirm with Nwaneri yet and just sourced buzz at this time), I think that there are some potential positives for the Sooners as well.

Still, anytime UGA is in the mix it can be a bit daunting for Sooners fans, and rightfully so. With the Bulldogs getting Nwaneri on campus, and UGA sources starting to feel like there is reason to believe they are challenging OU, or at least starting to catch them, there is reason to feel some anxiety if you're an OU fan. Does that mean UGA will win out? I don't think so (as of Sunday night), but the Bulldogs and Kirby Smart aren't going to go away easy. Essentially, they have made something that once seemed like an easy pick, not so easy and something we have to watch very closely.

Parker will have more on that front after he speaks with Nwaneri and Mozee on Monday or Tuesday of this week.

*** On the safety recruiting front, we all saw Mykel Patterson McDonald post that his commitment will be on July 31st. From what I have been told by MPM and those around him, I would expect a top 4 or 5 list at some point this week. I am leaning toward a top four at this time, but I should have more on that after MPM and I speak more on the topic today.

With a top schools list forthcoming, I continue to still like the Sooners' chances, but will add that his recent visit to UNLV was a good one. Also, I am told that MPM has a few other visits planned for late July that could play into his final decision.

Still, as I noted, it feels like it's OU's to lose at this point.

More on him after the top schools list drops.

*** Finally, we all know four-star safety offer Michael Boganowski took his OV to K-state this weekend. We also know that his father played for and was recruited by Wildcats LB coach Steve Stanard to New Mexico State. So the relationship and location of Manhattan (KS) is going to be hard to hold off. To add to that, I also have been told the K-State visit really impressed Boganowski and his family.

That said, the Sooners staff -- in particular safety coach Brandon Hall -- has been in constant contact with Boganowski, along with his mom and dad. The Sooners are working on slowing down any type of momentum the Wildcats may have gathered this past weekend, but at the same time, they also are hoping a decision is coming soon for the four-star.

Some may ask why the Sooners are hoping a decision is coming soon and not just willing to be patient. However, with four-star commit Jaydan Hardy already on board, Oklahoma has been trying to hold off a few other safeties. Essentially, OU is trying to make sure Boganowski knows he is the top uncommitted guy on their board in '24.

I am set to speak to Boganowski's father on Monday, so I will have more on that recruitment then. Still, this is a two-team battle and one that OU feels good about but is far from feeling it's working all in their favor. I would call it more of a 'cautious optimism,' with some hesitation due to the four-star coming off of his final visit to the hometown team, K-State.

Stay tuned as I think a decision could come in the next few weeks, and I will have more on Boganowski after I talk with his dad sometime on Monday or Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News