ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: DL recruiting note | New FC for 4-star RB explained | DB recruiting note

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
*** I’m close to dropping/about to put in a pick for 2024 four-star RB Taylor Tatum. Sources I spoke with today felt really good about the big-time RB from Longview (TX).

After Parker and I broke the story of OU being a real player with the number one overall RB, yesterday, things have seemingly heated up on that front, nationally. Essentially, this thing has escalated quickly.

ron burgundy GIF

Source with knowledge on the number RB’s recruitment told OUinsider, “(OU) has every right to feel good about things,” the source said. “The dad has been open to (OU baseball and football) and the communication lines have been flowing. You don’t do that and you don’t respond or talk with (OU) consistently if things aren’t moving in (Oklahoma’s) favor, right? Or you aren’t at least highly considering (the Sooners).”

Another source added things have been great with OU and Tatum, and said, “They have been great. Coach Reggie [Willits] and head coach Skip [Johnson] have been working on (the Tatum family) pretty intently. Lots of positive feeling right now on (OU) side of things.”

As for a timeline, I told you all yesterday that I was told within the next one to 10 days. Ironically, I saw soon after on Twitter where he stated his dad’s relationship with Sooners RB coach Demarco Murray, which we have reported for a while now, is very strong, and that he wants to get a decision done in the next week and a half or so.

Again, that lined up with what we had heard, but it could be sooner than the 10 day frame as well, so we will keep our heads on a swivel.

Regardless, with how things are trending, according to sources, and the fact we said prior to the visit that we were gonna let it play out before we jumped into a USC pick (even though it seemed in the Trojans’ favor, despite OU sources still being quietly confident), it’s time we make a pick. So, with sources today feeling better than ever about the Sooners’ chances, I’m putting an FC in for Oklahoma.

If that comes to pass, what a win for Demarco Murray, Jeff Lebby and the Sooners!

*** Oklahoma hosted IMG defensive lineman Jayden Jackson over the last few days. I’m working on an interview with Jackson, but sources with direct knowledge of the visit told me, “(OU) made up a lot of ground for sure,” the source noted. “Texas and Miami seemed to be the top teams, but that was before Jackson visited (Norman). He still has his Texas OV this weekend, but having [David] Stone around on Jackson’s final night (at OU), it really helped.”

One thing to note is that Stone isn’t committed to OU, but he was hanging with a close friend and IMG teammate last night. All if that was because Jackson was in town and close. I know people read into that and think certain things, but Stone is adamant it’s not what they think and took to Twitter to talk about it as well.

That said, it’s also not a bad thing Stone is there hanging with the Sooners’ staff and Jackson on Tuesday night either. So, if the Sooners can close on the big nose tackle, along with the 5-star DT, the class and future of the Sooners DL looks much different.

In the end, it’s this weekend’s trip to Texas, along with the few weeks that follow, that will be make or break for the Sooners and the four-star DL.

*** Also, Oklahoma is in a better spot with 2024 DB Justin Denson than I and a few sources in Norman originally thought.

Sources around Norman are starting to feel this is an OU and Michigan State battle, with UF and Bama possibly having a few others in mind at his position. I’m still working on more confirmation there.

Because of me needing more confirmation, I’m not ready to concede that OU could be the pick just yet, but I did want you all aware that things seem to be moving here, and that OU is starting to grow increasingly more confident in their chances with Denson.

Myself and Parker will continue to dig on that and update you all as we get more information on the 2024 Rhode Island DB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News