ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: A few Wednesday recruiting notes

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
*** I’ll start with 2024 four-star RB Caden Durham.

Sources tell me that OU has yet to waive the white flag here. That in itself was a bit of a surprise, but I’ll add that I still favor LSU and would just take anything positive in the Sooners’ favor as a surprise these days.

Also, another source told me that OU commits and their parents also spent extensive time working on Durham and his family over the last 48 hrs. Did that have any sway in the upcoming final decision that Durham will be making tomorrow? So far, I haven’t heard anything to convince me that is the case.

All that said, I can’t sit here and honestly tell you that I’m as confident in LSU’s chances as I was just 24hrs ago, but I’m not ready to make a flip to a pick on one that I just put in for the Tigers.

I say all that to to make sure you all are aware that the Sooners ramped up their push for Durham, but in the end, I’m still not in the mindset it will matter much in the end.

Hope I’m wrong for you alls sake, if nothing else.…

*** Finally, as much as there has been conflicting reports regarding 2024 five-star DE Williams Nwaneri, I am still sticking with the Sooners so far.

Some may ask ‘why?’

Well, if truth be told, I’m riding my gut more than anything else at this point. No matter who I speak with, it seems to be contradicting info left and right. OU sources feel good. Mizzou feels good. OU playing ball with NIL. Mizzou paying more than OU can handle.

Regardless of all of that, OU has been the constant, and because of that, along with sources in Norman still feeling they have some plays yet to be made over the few days yet, I am sticking with my FC.

Now, I know the next question will be confidence in my pick. That has been like the rollercoaster you all have been on with the Nwaneri recruitment. Even with the ups and downs, I still lean on what a source told me the other night, “(Miguel Chavis) has a special relationship with Nwaneri and that family, so it’s hard to see the five-star telling him no at this point,” the source said. “Especially if (OU) is more than competitive in their NIL package.”

When you add that to the sources from other programs telling OUinsider Nwaneri has always been enamored with the Sooners from the jump, it starts to be hard for me not have at least some confidence in my FC.

The next few days are going to be something else, and there will be ridiculous things “reported” or “rumored,” but that’s the nature of the beast when dealing with 5-star recruitments. Luckily, this is one is almost over, no matter how it ends up going on Aug 14.

For more on Nwaneri, go to Parker’s latest post and I think you will like that note as well…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News