ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: A few Party at the Palace notes

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
*** I will start with 2024 four-star Denton (TX) Guyer DB Eli Bowen. In speaking to sources with knowledge of that situation, it sounds like OU isn't going to get the visit from Bowen this weekend. Now, that isn't necessarily a bad thing, even though that's hard to fathom when just reading that information.

Why do I say that? Well, mainly because his reason for not coming is because he is out golfing with older brother, while Peyton Bowen is home, along with their dad. Eli and Peyton, both, have an affinity for golfing. So much that Oklahoma took Bowen golfing on his official visit to Oklahoma in June. I am told that was his favorite part as well, with his love for that hobby.

I also have heard there is some finalizing of a decision forthcoming, and right now, sources expect Bowen to have a decision done by September 2nd when Oklahoma opens up their 2023 season vs Arkansas State. No exact date has been set and this is a battle between OU and Texas right now. That said, I still like OU for a variety of things we have discussed on this board over the last several months, along with me thinking it is going to be hard to be at every OU home game to watch big brother play, all the while the four-star DB heading to UT the following year. Just would have a weird vibe, right? So, I really like OU here.

But as one source put it to me this morning, "[Eli] has been being recruited to OU since he was a freshman," the source said. "That's when they started coming up (to OU) for unofficial visits, so what (OU) shows him is going to be something he has seen 30 times before, literally. So, why not hang out with family before his older brother has to get back (to OU) for fall camp? It's not like the visit would change anything at this point."

That made complete sense, and with Bowen's decision coming soon, it feels like OU is starting to be even more confident in this recruitment.

Lastly, I know that isn't a shock to anyone, but we all thought this was going to be done by now, so I thought I would add a bit more insight and clarity.

*** 2024 four-star Michael Boganowski is at the Sooners Party at the Palace this weekend. Bogo has visited KU and KSU already this week. Now the four-star safety has the OU visit left on the docket, before the next dead period starting on Aug 1st, and before he starts to finalize things moving forward.

Sources around Norman seem to feel that OU is in a good spot, and likely leads, but it's by an ever so slight margin. A source even called the Sooners' lead "razor thin."

Added good news for OU is that the Boganowski's are staying the night in Norman-- which was not done at KU or KSU -- and also eating breakfast and hanging out with the Sooners' staff some on Saturday. All before heading back to Junction City (KS).

What could be a hinderance, is that the dead period doesn't start until August 1st, so with Junction City only being 20 minutes from KSU, there is always a chance that Boganowski and his family head back to KSU for a final visit. However, at the time of this note that is not expected to happen, with OU being the program to get the final visit.

That is big for the Sooners, as they continue to try and close this recruitment out at the Party at the Palace and add to their ever so slight lead they have on the Wildcats.

If we hear otherwise, we will update you accordingly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News