ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: A few interesting factoids and backstory on Damonic Williams’ decision to choose the Sooners!

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
Have been waiting on approval to discuss this stuff with you all and got the go-ahead this afternoon.

First, was told that Todd Bates went to Dallas and met with the family for quite some time. At that point, the Sooners felt very good about things but as the negations continued to linger (and go back and forth), programs like LSU and Texas made a few attempts. So did USC, who was given a wild number that I won’t say but it was essentially a barometer to see how much others may be willing to throw their way.

According to people with knowledge on Williams’ side of things, as the negotiations began to wind down, OU’s Todd Bates and Williams’ camp were at a restaurant (during their meeting) when Todd Bates began discussing how he proposed to his wife back in the day. However, shortly after, the source on Williams’ side said that Coach Bates pulled out a paper that said, “Sooner Nation wants to know if you’ll go back to Norman with me and become an Oklahoma Sooner.”

Williams said, “yes” and the rest was history after the negotiations between Williams’ handler and the C&C Collective were finalized. A source added to that story and said, “Coach Bates went old school to seal the deal.”

Obviously, the negotiations took longer than expected, with the decision supposed to made around 2 pm yesterday, per what I was told by multiple sources. Those timetables tend to lag on longer than expected, and we all know those talks and negotiations had some twists and turns, but the Sooners’ C&C Collective got it done.

So as things became more public last night, I asked for a quote on why Williams chose OU. Williams’ handler sent back a quote from the big-time transfer DT, saying, “I’ll be able to play for Coach Brent Venables and Coach Todd Bates,” Williams said. “And with what they already have, I feel like I can come in and help the team play for a championship.”

Was also told by another source within Williams’ camp that his younger brother, Joshua, “played a big part in his final decision once again, along with his mother, Miss Cici!”

Oklahoma has wrongly been viewed as a program that wouldn’t play the NIL game at the level needed in the SEC. What took place this week just debunks those falsehoods on the Sooners being broke. This was also a watershed moment for the program in the transfer portal, and in the scope of the collective being viewed as one that other programs will have to contend with from now on.

From this point on, all that is left is for Williams to get to campus, incorporate himself into the Sooners and Brent Venables’ culture, put in off-season work and produce on the field. Something most everyone expects to happen rather quickly.

Again, this was such a huge win for Todd Bates and company landing the biggest transfer target this spring. The DT room is changing and the talent is at a level we haven’t seen in Norman since the late 2000’s. And as I said above, it’s now time to put that talent on paper to good use on the field this fall.

Stay tuned for that…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News