ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Woes

Oct 10, 2016
Why is our defense so bad? Why is Bob allowing it to continue? Why is Mike still here? Why aren't you stomping Private Pyle's guts out right now?

Reactions: AbsoluteZer0
Brandt: "Well, Dude, we just don't know."

If you search for top defensive coordinators Mike's name gets a small mention "for his contribution during his past reign at OU" but most of the top named DCs are from the Big 10 and SEC. Imagine that.

Best spread DC has usually been the Stanford guys, but have had a bunch of turnover on staff. Note that great DCs are not playing the PAC 12 or Big 12 passing leagues, bu5t in the pro-styles leagues. Stoops, Bennett and Strong were all great DCs, but not against the spread. What we are seeing are great DCs in a transition in football. Patterson at TCU is a great DC, but OU hung 52 on his defense at HOME!!!

Reactions: Oklabama
What would be the most difficult position at OU. Defensive Coordinator or Offensive Coordinator? I think OC because your offense has to score 40+ points to have a chance of winning most games. Seems like the DC can get away with his group giving up 30 or 40 a game without much being said to him unless the OC loses the game for the team. :confused:

Seems like the DC can get away with his group giving up 30 or 40 a game without much being said to him unless the OC loses the game for the team. :confused:

A lot of that has to do with who you know or what your last name is. Just ask Brent Venables. :)

The last two games have not been that bad. TCU we went on a 42-3 run and took our foot off of their necks. Last weekend we had way to many injuries.

I'm not here supporting Mike Stoops but who was the last great DC in the BigXII? Is there even such a thing? Can anyone stop these BigXII offenses, week in and week out? TCU and Baylor had a pretty stout defense, two years ago but they had a 60+ point game against each other.

The one thing that all of the great defenses have are the Big Boys up front. OU hasn't had a great 5 Star DT, Dlineman in awhile.

The last two games have not been that bad. TCU we went on a 42-3 run and took our foot off of their necks. Last weekend we had way to many injuries.

I'm not here supporting Mike Stoops but who was the last great DC in the BigXII? Is there even such a thing? Can anyone stop these BigXII offenses, week in and week out? TCU and Baylor had a pretty stout defense, two years ago but they had a 60+ point game against each other.

The one thing that all of the great defenses have are the Big Boys up front. OU hasn't had a great 5 Star DT, Dlineman in awhile.

Mike's defense gives up 30-40 points to teams NOT in the B12 also.

I agree about the D-Linemen. When we have a Tommy Harris, Dusty Dvoracek, Gerald McCoy, seems we end with an elite defense.
Same could be said of all-star linebackers.

Check points allowed per game. Sooners are around 8th in the big xii. 8TH! Defense has been sub par all season so you can't blame it on injuries. Bob says he is heavily involved in defensive meetings to no avail. It's either the coaches or the players and one of them needs to change.

Bob and Mike, look at the top teams in the b10 and sec and pattern the defense after them. They have old fashion big boy defenses and they are very effective stopping spread offenses. Sooner's offense sure doesn't do well against them. I should be paid for all of this good advise! Just saying!

Check points allowed per game. Sooners are around 8th in the big xii. 8TH! Defense has been sub par all season so you can't blame it on injuries. Bob says he is heavily involved in defensive meetings to no avail. It's either the coaches or the players and one of them needs to change.

Bob and Mike, look at the top teams in the b10 and sec and pattern the defense after them. They have old fashion big boy defenses and they are very effective stopping spread offenses. Sooner's offense sure doesn't do well against them. I should be paid for all of this good advise! Just saying!

Agreed. Has anyone seen MIchigan's or Washington's defenses? I want ours to be like theirs!!!

Agreed. Has anyone seen MIchigan's or Washington's defenses? I want ours to be like theirs!!!

Washington has played Stanford and nobodies, Michigan has played... Colorado and Wisconsin, not closely comparable to OU's offense...

I don't disagree with your point, but I don't see the comparison being on equal footing either...

OU has played the #3, 10, 17, and 21 ranked scoring offenses in the country... Tea Cup is the only one who scored better than their average against the sorry OU defense...

Forget that K-State beat TT. Mahomes is gonna have a play day with our defense. He's not the number two passer in the Nation for nothing. Usually when the "Fire Mike" chants start up Mike pulls an important defensive game outta his ass. So Fire Mike Fire Mike Fire Mike :)

Forget that K-State beat TT. Mahomes is gonna have a play day with our defense. He's not the number two passer in the Nation for nothing. Usually when the "Fire Mike" chants start up Mike pulls an important defensive game outta his ass. So Fire Mike Fire Mike Fire Mike :)

Dont pay no attention to me. Im so medicated I dont know who the hell we are playing. Hell I thought we were playing TT.... duh

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT