ADVERTISEMENT

Defense Substitution

td71sooner

Sooner commitment
Oct 10, 2015
I've noticed that the refs holding up play to allow the defense to substitute after an offensive substitution seems to be having some unintended consequences. Since the play clock keeps running, the defense can take their time substituting a player and the offense is left with little to no time. In one game on Saturday, the ref held up play until 1 second was left. As you can imagine, the play clock ran out. The refs called a penalty on the offense for delay. When the players and coaches complained, the ref changed it to a timeout and charged it to the offense. What do you think the odds are that the make changes to the rule during the off season?

Coach Stoops explained this on his show last week. D has 3 seconds from the ref signal to substitute. Not enough time to effect the O but enough to put players in the game. Stoops said he was satisfied with the rule.

I believe that they have 3 seconds to start the process, but the ref holds the play until he feels the substitution is completed. I could be wrong. In practice, though, I see the refs standing over the ball for a long time while the play clock keeps running. All too often, the offense has little time left to snap the ball.

Part of the responsibility of the offense to not wait until there are 20 seconds left on the play close to substitute. That gives the defense time. It's not fair to expect a nose tackle to make it on the field in the same time it takes a DB. Bob slowed it down intentionally against Baylor. Don't blame him a bit.

Baylor cheated some. They'd run a deep pattern on their bench's sideline, then sub in with a guy on the same sideline. One series, Bob got pretty hot about it. The stripes didn't let him match up.

Winning this week will take all of the focus that the players had against Baylor. It wasn't there against TCU. That includes substitutions. It was very crisp in Waco. Not so much against the Frogs.

Off on a tangent here, but did you guys know that TCU was changing jersey numbers all night long? It happened three times (that it was announced by the official on the stadium PA). No telling how many other times it wasn't announced.

K State did it to Patterson last month. I guess Patterson liked the idea.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Off on a tangent here, but did you guys know that TCU was changing jersey numbers all night long? It happened three times (that it was announced by the official on the stadium PA). No telling how many other times it wasn't announced.
K State did it to Patterson last month. I guess Patterson liked the idea.

Good Catch, 22...Did NOT know...RIVE & REARN...

Part of the responsibility of the offense to not wait until there are 20 seconds left on the play close to substitute. That gives the defense time. It's not fair to expect a nose tackle to make it on the field in the same time it takes a DB. Bob slowed it down intentionally against Baylor. Don't blame him a bit.

This. One thing I have noticed recently, the official standing over the ball is looking at another official. The second official is watching the player(s) leaving the field. Once they are off, he signals the first to let the offense proceed.
It is not just about getting substitutions in the game, but also getting the substituted players off the field. You will notice that the players being substituted for are jogging a lot of the time rather than sprinting off. That is coached. When the O subs, they have to allow the D time to get players both on the field and off the field.
OU has utilized this tool very well on many occasions this year.

These OU coaches may be about as close to being SEC coaches as you can get without actually being SEC gods...uh, coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT