ADVERTISEMENT

DC candidates

I second that...It's already in the Crystal Ball, IMO...

Well, that’s a disappointing thought. Honestly, if that happens I will be shocked to see a meaningful improvement. Some, obviously because Mike is so dreadfully inept, but Ruffin isn’t the answer long term so why not find someone that has a chance to be the real answer?

Need someone with fresh eyes that can defend ALL offenses with intensity...and recruit like a champion. No reason the Sooners can't match up a notoriously good offense with an equally good defense. We always seem to have a scattering of great defensive players...but as a defensive unit they seldom put it together thanks to Jack In The Box....

With all the coaches on the hot seat, there will be some big time changes. We need to get in before some of the new coaches, start assembling a staff.

Tenn, Ark, aTm, TT close to home.
LSU, Neb, ASU, Miss, Ole Miss, Az, UCLA. Although Ole Miss and LSU will most likely keep their coach another year.

Bring in Rich Rod offensive coordinator but outside of LSU, I don't see a good DC

I third that. Probably why he was brought in if what you heard thru the grapevine a couple of weeks ago is true that Bob wanted Mike to have one more year. Mike leaves or is let go at the end of the season Ruffin slides on in as DC. Crap I hope not.

Double crap. I have no problem with Ruffin with the position he currently has but feel the team and Riley would be better off with new coordinators (DC and OC/QB) and a solid LB coach.

Mike aint going nowhere until he is ready. I doubt at this point if he will be able to get another DC job as good as OU.

I second that...It's already in the Crystal Ball, IMO...

8_zpsln1iqpc9.jpg

lol well I hope you are right, but I just don't think Riley has the guts to can him.

I don’t get it. What’s the problem? Coaches are fired every year. No one that is responsible for the success of a company or an organization (and a college team falls in one of these) has the right to shirk their responsibility and duty to the institution for personal reasons. That is totally BS and unacceptable. Guys like Lincoln Riley are paid to win, that’s it. Nothing else matters except playing within the rules and being fair to your players, staff and institution. It’s not fair to anyone to keep a coach that cannot do the job better than someone else that you can hire. That is the only thing I really had against Bob Stoops. I think he would have won more games had he never hired and kept his brother for the second time. If Riley doesn’t see that Mike is an anchor around the program’s neck and keeps him after this year, I will be shocked and disappointed.

I don’t get it. What’s the problem? Coaches are fired every year. No one that is responsible for the success of a company or an organization (and a college team falls in one of these) has the right to shirk their responsibility and duty to the institution for personal reasons. That is totally BS and unacceptable. Guys like Lincoln Riley are paid to win, that’s it. Nothing else matters except playing within the rules and being fair to your players, staff and institution. It’s not fair to anyone to keep a coach that cannot do the job better than someone else that you can hire. That is the only thing I really had against Bob Stoops. I think he would have won more games had he never hired and kept his brother for the second time. If Riley doesn’t see that Mike is an anchor around the program’s neck and keeps him after this year, I will be shocked and disappointed.

I'm sure Riley feels that he owes something to Bob for being where he is right now. He is going to have mixed feelings about firing his brother. Maybe I'm wrong.....but I think Mike will have to do the right thing and resign. He shouldn't put Lincoln in that position to make that call

Reactions: iasooner1
I'm sure Riley feels that he owes something to Bob for being where he is right now. He is going to have mixed feelings about firing his brother. Maybe I'm wrong.....but I think Mike will have to do the right thing and resign. He shouldn't put Lincoln in that position to make that call

I am certain he does but that doesn’t make it okay. It would be better if Mike resigned but if he doesn’t, Lincoln has to replace him just as he would one of his players if there was another player that gave him a better chance to win. It’s the same for every business. But you’re probably right.

Ruffin McNeil would be worse than Mike Stoops. Where in his many years of coaching has he had a championship defense, nowhere. But Riley and McNeil are tight so he most likely will get the job if MS leaves after this season.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Something I thought of last night. Possible scenario, Mike Stoops is retained but demoted kinda, he and Ruffin McNeil would be CO Defensive Coordinators, kinda like when Mike came back.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Something I thought of last night. Possible scenario, Mike Stoops is retained but demoted kinda, he and Ruffin McNeil would be CO Defensive Coordinators, kinda like when Mike came back.
Bright Idea, but, IMO, I don't believe we'd be fortunate enough to be able to expect the same results from Mike as we got from BV when he had his position 'Diluted'. I believe Mike will have to be 'Unhired' to get him out-the-door...

Bright Idea, but, IMO, I don't believe we'd be fortunate enough to be able to expect the same results from Mike as we got from BV when he had his position 'Diluted'. I believe Mike will have to be 'Unhired' to get him out-the-door...

My thoughts too SeniorSooner. If it did go down that way in hopes Mike would get mad and leave I don't think it would work. Mike will have to be fired in my opinion. He is dug in like a blue tick on a hound.

I would like to see a young and energetic defensive coach come in and develop a defense with pride, an attitude and a name....as Paul Dietzel did with LSU and Army (late 1950's-early 1960's) when he gave his 2nd team defense the name "The Chinese Bandits" after the characters in the comic strip "Terry and the Pirates".
When I attended Army games at West Point during Dietzel's time (1962-65) the Army band would introduce the "Chinese Bandits" with banging a huge gong as the defensive unit took the field. It fired up the players and fans.
At the time, no one thought that the name was racist, simply because it wasn't. But that was then....this is now.

Ruffin McNeil would be worse than Mike Stoops. Where in his many years of coaching has he had a championship defense, nowhere. But Riley and McNeil are tight so he most likely will get the job if MS leaves after this season.
He’s only been a DC at Tech, so there’s not tons of things to look at.

But he was very successful at Tech as the DC. “In 2007, then-defensive coordinator Lyle Setencich stepped down due to "personal reasons" after a 49–45 loss to Oklahoma State in which the Texas Tech defense allowed over 600 yards of total offense and three 100 yard rushers. Head coach Mike Leach named McNeill interim defensive coordinator shortly after with eight games remaining in the season... With McNeill at the defensive helm, the Red Raiders' defense improved in every defensive category. Under Setencich, Tech ranked seventh in pass defense, ninth in total defense, and tenth in scoring defense in Big 12 Conference play. In nine games with McNeill, Tech improved to first in pass and total defense and fourth in scoring defense. The Red Raiders forced more punts and allowed fewer rushing and passing yards than they did to begin the season.”

Now that was just the 2007 season. Not sure how they did in 2008 or 2009, but in 2008 they were 11-1 and ranked in the top ten. That can’t be ALL because of their offense.

In 2008, Texas Tech was 4th in the Big 12 in Scoring Defense, and 5th in Total Defense. That’s out of 12 teams. So, roughly upper third in the league.

In 2009, Texas Tech was 6th in both Scoring Defense and Total Defense. Again, out of 12 teams. So the top half of the league.

In full disclosure, in 2007 Tech finished tied for 5th in Scoring Defense and 3rd in Total Defense, which is different than what I posted above. But I believe (I’m assuming here) the author used numbers only for the games Ruffin was the DC, and not where they actually finished with the other DC’s numbers included.

A young up & coming coach for DC will most likely not last long and use the OU gig as a stepping stone and to beef up his resume.

An older established coach w/ heavy defense credentials and success might be the best way to roll. Someone that can work for Riley and is looking to land a good solid last job in his coaching career.

I'd hire the latter and pay him extremely well but only if he comes w/ a proven success.

I agree. Why can’t OU have a defensive identity of its own that compliments the Sooner’s great offense. Kinda like it was under Bud and Barry. Some will say that isn’t possible, and it never will be with that attitude.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT