ADVERTISEMENT

Confidence on Monday, nervous on Thursday

Schoonerman

Sooner starter
May 29, 2001
Marietta, GA
Must be OU-texas game week.

On Monday I was deflecting all the comments about this being the horns' bowl game, rivalry game so throw the stats and records out the window, they'll be playing like a wounded pit bull, can't take them lightly, etc., etc., etc. Of course I responded with how bad they are, they've lost their fire and we're going to kick their burnt orange asses.

Today, I'm starting to get more nervous and have been thinking about how Swoopes had a career day in last year's RRS and could have won that game. And two of the games they should have won this year were lost on fluke special teams play. Now they've got a jitterbug playmaker at QB and now I'm getting worried that he'll pick our D apart and combined with some turnovers, we could find oursevelves in a deep hole in the 4th quarter if we don't play our best.

What's gotten into me? Is this normal? Should I be concerned or is this just OU-texas week jitters?

Reactions: BillyRay

On Monday I was deflecting all the comments about this being the horns' bowl game, rivalry game so throw the stats and records out the window, they'll be playing like a wounded pit bull, can't take them lightly, etc., etc., etc. Of course I responded with how bad they are, they've lost their fire and we're going to kick their burnt orange asses.

Today, I'm starting to get more nervous and have been thinking about how Swoopes had a career day in last year's RRS and could have won that game. And two of the games they should have won this year were lost on fluke special teams play. Now they've got a jitterbug playmaker at QB and now I'm getting worried that he'll pick our D apart and combined with some turnovers, we could find oursevelves in a deep hole in the 4th quarter if we don't play our best.

What's gotten into me? Is this normal? Should I be concerned or is this just OU-texas week jitters?

Jitters, definitely...jitters.

However, you are not alone.
Believe me, and anyone that says they don't have at least some trepidation about this game is well, I want some of what you're smoking...immediately!:D

I think the biggest difference for me this year is that I am pretty confident we won't fall into an offensive chasm. Even if our defense starts to falter, Riley will get points on the board. As for the defense, I am enthusiastic at the thought of Bond and Striker spending a lot of time on the field. The has proven to be good combination. I tend to be pessimistic about this game every year but OU is just better in every facet of the game. Upsets happen every week but this should be a double digit win. All that said, I am a football fan not a coach. I'll leave it to wiser people than me to break down position battles.

They don't have the D this year. We have a better OC, more accurate QB, more depth at WR, and the addition of Mixon. Bond is better than Grissom (at least how MS uses him) and Thomas and Parker are a year older/better. Plus Byrd and Thomas while not All Big XII types are both playing much better. Lots of reason to be confident.

OU has a Neiman-Marcus running back tandem with a Walmart offensive line, so for that reason, no game is a certainty. The passing game will have to do the heavy lifting until Perine and Mixon can really produce.....and the defense needs to play better.

Rivalry game so things can snowball but UT had played 3 teams with top 20 offenses. ND, TCU, and Cal. All three put 35+ points on them. The only one of the three UT managed to score 7+ points on has the 95th ranked D in the country. I would rank our offense below TCU and ND but above Cal. We should score 30+ on them. I have no reason/have not seen anything from them to indicate they can score anywhere close to that on us without a major meltdown by OU. Can the sky fall? Sure but I don't walk around assuming it's going to.

It could be giant let downs that bob stoops has brought you the last few years that severely scar your psyche. But I'm not a psychiatrigist.

I am very confident, but I heard an old saying on cable this morning that made me reflect on past upsets.

"When you think there's no way to lose, you're already half way to losing".

Speaks volumes to an over-confident team. From everything I've heard and read this week about Bob and his squad, that should not be an issue. I hope not.

Reactions: BillyRay
I am very confident, but I heard an old saying on cable this morning that made me reflect on past upsets.

Speaks volumes to an over-confident team. From everything I've heard and read this week about Bob and his squad, that should not be an issue. I hope not.

Nope, I have it on good authority the practices have been intense, bordering on angry even.

I believe this team is really buying into the message of this staff this year. Especially the upperclassmen. Which is crucial for cohesion.

Sooners will unveil some new wrinkles I have a feeling as season goes along. Lincoln Riley is one guy I put my trust in making sound decisions and adjustments during a game. He's got a huge playbook and will use whatever angle is there to fix broken things on the fly. Defensively, we may have to create some turnovers to get the shorthorns off balance. Striker waking up should sure help with this...and a WEAK shorthorn offensive line.

What's gotten into me? Is this normal? Should I be concerned or is this just OU-texas week jitters
The Horns have been playing possum all year just waiting for OU.... ;)

Sooners will unveil some new wrinkles I have a feeling as season goes along. Lincoln Riley is one guy I put my trust in making sound decisions and adjustments during a game. He's got a huge playbook and will use whatever angle is there to fix broken things on the fly. Defensively, we may have to create some turnovers to get the shorthorns off balance. Striker waking up should sure help with this...and a WEAK shorthorn offensive line.

Yep, one of the hallmarks of a good coach is real time, in game adjustments. So far, squire Riley is making the grade in that regard.

I hope the U keeps him in $$ to his satisfaction and doesn't stray away at the first HC offer he gets.
It's a given, he'll eventually get the offers.
He's a marketable commodity.

Reactions: iasooner1

Good post with that old saying. No doubt it applies this weekend. Especially how OU has done in this game the last 2 years. OU was virtually a lock going into this game 2 years ago, but somehow let Case McCoy look like John Elway and give Mack a RRR win in his last trip. Then of course last year OU was pretty fortunate to get out of there with with a win in a game that Texas really did overall outplay OU for most of the game.

Those things really have nothing to do with how grueling the practices are. It's the mindset of the players when they hit the field. I'm sure practices were just as grueling the last 2 years going into this game. But if mentally the players feel there is no way they are gonna lose this game, then it will be a much tougher test than it should be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT