ADVERTISEMENT

CHAT RECAP: TUES 4/14 ...

Eddie_Rado

Sooner starter
Staff
Jan 30, 2011
Here are the highlights from Tuesdays weekly fire side chat with SoonerScoop Recruiting Editor Josh McCuistion. Link provided above for actual transcript.

Q: Next commit?

JOSH: Kellen Diesch. :)

Q: LBs and DEs, who are the most likely to sign in your opinion?

JOSH: LB = Caleb Kelly
[/B]

JOSH: DE = Amani Bledsoe. Again though it all gets weird because positions are a bit fuzzy with the shifting of 3 and 4 man fronts.

Q: What's your percentage on Caleb Kelly?

JOSH: 65%

Q: Loren Mondy...ASU commit but seems to have real interest in OU. What's his connection (if any) to the program?

JOSH: Not really any connection but Tim Kish has been working him hard and he does have connections to the state (his father is family friends with the Odoms - Barry, Brian)

Q: Do you know if Dontavious Jackson will be visiting this spring/summer?

JOSH: I kind of expect he will but I do not 'know' it.

Q: 2017 Jack Anderson ... I've heard right now his top 3 are TTU, OU and A&M. While it's still really early is there anyway that you see him NOT going to Tech?

JOSH: Oh yeah, I don't think it's that hard to envision. However, it's definitely the betting favorite.

Q: Seems as though Austin Kendall is going to try and be a major recruiter for us. Would you say that is pretty accurate?

JOSH: Yeah, but I'm interested to talk to some guys and see how he is with them. He isn't a guy that overwhelmed me with his personality when we spoke (not a bad kid or anything, just somewhat subdued). Now that could be for a VARIETY of reasons and it may be wholly different when he talks to recruits - so that's what I want to see.

Q: Has OU lost their 'elite' tag with recruits?

JOSH: It's still a big offer, but it's not an offer that is in that first tier. I mean when I was talking to kids in 02-08(ish) when OU offered 'I'm working to set up a visit' now it's more 'I may try and visit'. It's a subtle difference but it's easy to see in looking at the guys who DO visit.

Q: Pernell Jefferson was at Mississippi State this weekend instead of OU ... chalk that up to just a transportation issue or cooling on OU?

JOSH: Transportation. I've got little doubt where he sees OU and he wants to play with Arthur. Visit or not I'm a little surprised he hasn't committed.

Q: What do the coaches take into consideration when matching current players with official visits?

JOSH: It's a variety of issues, how key is the recruit, what type of personality (seems to be more of a focus than where he is from/particular obvious connection). It's just trying to find his best fit and who will have the recruit doing things he enjoys.

Q: Any word on who coaches are visiting tomorrow?

JOSH: I don't expect that the coaches are hitting the road tomorrow, have been told they'll be out on Monday - every staff moves on their own time.

Q: OKPreps kid not on OU fans radar that picks up offer? Ala Dalton Wood.

JOSH: I'd go with either Dillon Stoner.

Q: Is Austin Seibert the best kicker Bob Stoops has signed?

JOSH: Might have the most powerful leg but be tough for me to have him ahead of Trey DiCarlo or Garrett Hartely.

Q: Would you offer Tramal Ivy?

JOSH: I'd definitely give him a look, I think Ivy is an immense talent, always have.

Q: Do you see Neville Gallimore redshirting?

JOSH: I do, as of January he wasn't doing much of anything. I just don't see him being ready to go and picking up on that MASSIVE jump in competition.

-- Josh says he talked to Parker Boudreaux Monday night ... "man OU has MUCH more of a shot than I expected"

TEAM TALK

Q: From your perspective how do you see the QB competition playing out?

JOSH: I think it'll come down to a guy that takes chances but takes them at the right time. Just think that will end up being Thomas.As a pure passer he has the most physical talent and as he gets more snaps...I think he'll look better and better.

Q: Did you think Justice Hansen looked good?

JOSH: I thought he was very steady, maybe didn't wow me but again a guy like Justice I've never been wowed by him in those settings. But turn the lights on? He looks like a different guy, always has.

Q: What do you see as the two-deep on the defensive line come this fall?

JOSH: DE - Charles Tapper/Matt DImon NT - Matt Romar/Jordan Wade DE - Charles Walker/D.J. Ward

Q: Could you rate the quarterback's individual skill sets including Austin Kendall?

JOSH: It's pretty tough to do as there is so much more information based on competition to look at with guys like Mayfield and Knight. But if you made me rate them out of HS on Just physical talent: Thomas Knight Kendall Hansen Mayfield

Q: Any news on the start time for the renovation?

EDDIE: I haven't heard anything set in stone but I would imagine it would have to be somewhere before OR right after Thanksgiving. My easy answer would be week after final home game (Nov.21)

Q: Is there a spring game next year with stadium redno being done?

EDDIE: (Need to clarify on this) ... I don't think there would be an official spring game if the stadium is under construction.

Q: Would anyone on the 2015 defense start for the 2004 defense?

JOSH: 2004? Zack Sanchez might have started over Chijioke.

Q: A poster was talking about our offense being unstoppable between the 20s and worthless in the red zone. Will we be able to line up and run when we need to?

JOSH: I think it's dependent on the OL. I don't think that's as much scheme as it is the fact that OU is facing a major overhaul on the OL.

Q: What's the latest on Buddy Hield?

EDDIE: Really get the feeling he'll be back in Norman. The bottom line is he's not a lock to go 1st RD. Do I think he would like to go? Yes. Is it realistic/smart business decision? No.
This post was edited on 4/14 11:48 PM by Eddie_Rado

CHAT RECAP: TUES 4/14

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.