ADVERTISEMENT

Chat Recap: September 15th

usedtobe1

Sooner starter
Oct 8, 2008
Josh was the only scooper in the chat although Joe Duvall made a late cameo appearance. I lose a lot of the formatting when pasting it from Word into a new thread. Also, the recap didn't seem to generate much interest last week but I was late posting it. I try to not edit too much other than some spelling and grammar. I added some player positions and notes for clarification. I think the recap only got 3-4 comments last week. If it's not of general interest, I may quit doing it because it takes me 2-3 hours to get it organized and formatted. Let me know if you think it's worth it or not. You won't hurt my feelings either way. I realize you can read the transcript and get most of the value but the questions and answers are kind of willy-nilly to me. This format groups similar questions together.

Recruiting questions/comments:

Possible commitments:

Josh next commit
Josh_M: Sticking with LB Marvin Terry in a few weeks.
Comment: Perry keeps pushing his date and I think he will do it again (Note: Did he mean Marvin Terry?)

Next commit besides Marvin Terry?
Josh_M: CB Jordan Parker.

Next 2017 commit?
Josh_M: Boy, I just don't have a guy that jumps out at me.

When was the last time OU had 2 four stars committed a year early?
Josh_M: Never happened, at least not in my time with Rivals. (Note: QB Chris Robison and S Robert Barnes are committed for 2017)

Upcoming visits:
Visitors this weekend?
Josh_M: Ryan Parker is the only one I've been told might be an official. Other than that just unofficials.

Did I miss the visit list for this week?
Josh_M: Nope, haven't put one up.

Any Cali guys still visiting for WVU?
Josh_M: Jordan Parker.

Tennessee recruiting impact:
Will Tennessee game have much impact on recruiting?
Josh_M: I think it could but I think it'll come as the season goes on. Don't expect any guys that were there this weekend to say tomorrow 'I'm visiting OU this weekend!

Josh have you talked to any recruits that are now committed that said the game had any effect on them
Josh_M: Nothing like that so far. It's been fairly quiet.

Which recruit do you think the Tennessee game helped the most with?
Josh_M: A guy to maybe keep an eye on? Antonneus Clayton. (Note: DE from Georgia)

What recruits were at the Tennessee game that OU is recruiting? Any feedback from them?
Josh_M: DFW, you see last week's Scoop? Had the list of players in attendance.

DB recruits:
Cooks publicly looking for 4 and 5 stars in a tweet for 16 and 17...who is/are the 4* 16 kids he is still in on (sincere interest both sides) besides Parker?
Josh_M: 4*, not really any. Baylen Buchanan is the lone other corner I know they are involved with.
Jordan Parker is a 4 star corner, no?
Josh_M: He is indeed. I was asked 'besides Parker'.

Do you like Buchannan more than Parker? If so, why?
Josh_M: I do a little bit, I think he is a bit more explosive and I just like the way he competes on tape. There just aren't any freebies with him.

What are our chances with a trio of the Peachtree Ridge Duluth Georgia prospects? Deangelo Gibbs, etc
Josh_M: Small, very small IMO.
Note: CB Baylen Buchanan is probably our best chance.

Think CB Mayden takes a look at OU again? Is his brother being recruited by OU?
Josh_M: Not really. And so far his brother hasn't heard much (he really can't) but obviously visited with Jared this spring/summer.

Dfwsooner: DB Tre Brown struggling this year?
Josh_M: Hasn't exactly lit it up. He is a really talented guy but at times he gets over aggressive.

Current commit that you think will earn a 4 star if he keeps playing like he was in his first few game? also what kid are you thinking is about to blow up that doesn’t have any current big offers
Josh_M: Parrish Cobb.

What's going on with Eric Cuffee? Sounds like UT is slow playing him.
Josh_M: Yeah, there is a LOT of debate about Cuffee. Some think he is a star, others think he is just a guy.

DL recruits:
How would you rank the 5 DL we are recruiting?
Josh_M: Daniels, Southall, Bledsoe and then who?
Comment: Oliver and Elliott would be the other DLs
Josh_M: Sorry, I don't take Oliver's interest all that seriously and I'm still getting my head around Elliott being a target.

Marcell Southall the best of the bunch of the DL were still after?
Josh_M: I think he may have the most potential, though Daniels is the safest bet IMO.
Who leads for Southall? Can we get him?
Josh_M: OU definitely has a chance - last I was told it was OU/A&M.

Jordan Elliott, Ed Oliver, Chris Daniels, Marcel Southall, and Amani Bledsoe...OU get 2 of them?
Josh_M: I'm surprising myself but I'll say yes.

Can we beat out TCU for Daniels?
Josh_M: TCU didn't make his top five, so yes sir.
I thought Daniels was committed to TCU. Did I miss something?
Josh_M: nope, he didn't commit.

Josh, defensive end from Kansas that plays 8-man ball (Loudermilk something?), any contact from OU?
Josh_M: He heard some from OU in the spring but as of late I was told no.

OL recruits:
Ever talk to Valentin or the juco linebacker after their officials? Anything good?
Josh_M: We did a story with Valentin
Josh_M: No luck with Horton though.

OL...does Frederick get an offer soon? He looks like he is off to a fast start this year
Josh_M: Not that I'm expecting at this point.

Your thoughts on Frederick and new offers. He make a big mistake skipping OU'S camp? He seems to be having a very good senior outing.
Josh_M: He didn't skip, he didn't realize he had been invited. But yeah it looks like it will end up hurting him.

Is Moore projected at guard or tackle? Do you like him better than Frederick?
Josh_M: He has more upside than Rowdy but Frederick is the safer bet. Also think OU needs tackles more than guards.

Tramonda Moore coming to the game this weekend
Josh_M: Have a question in to him and a bunch of other guys.
Josh_M: BTW, whoever asked Tramonda Moore is taking a visit somewhere this weekend but says he isn't yet sure WHERE that will be.

Any update on OL targets?
Josh_M: Nothing notable so far though I am thinking we'll see 2-3 new offers in the coming weeks as some senior/sophomore - JC tape coming out.

Do you think we will eventually flip an already-committed OL in this class? Yes or No
Josh_M: Yes.

Soonerfan60: Recruit we flip from another school.
Josh_M: Not yet. :)

We really waiting to Christmas to make new OL offers?
Josh_M: Not what I'm expecting.

RB recruits:
What's the latest with Devwah Whaley????
Josh_M: Nothing new so far, he had an off week this weekend so thought he might take an official but haven't heard anything about it.

Whaley waiting b/c Boulware is his position coach?
Josh_M: Don't think that's it, just wants to wait for some reason.

With Anderson injury, do we take TWO RBs in 2016? Have Mixon and Perine possibly only through 2016 also.
Josh_M: don't think it changes anything.

LB recruits:
LB’s Marvin Terry, Caleb Kelly, Isaiah Chambers, Jordan Carmouche...OU get 2 of them?
Josh_M: SO tough, if things stay status quo until NSD, yes. If Viney is gone, I know it affects things but I'm just not sure HOW much.

Youngquist set or you think 3 or 4 more big offers would open him up a bit
Josh_M: I think he is solid.
Hey Josh, appreciate you getting to Youngquist as fast as you did to put out any fires.
Josh_M: No problem at all - Bryce is very easy to deal with.

Whats the chance of Levi Draper dropping in on a Sooner game IYO?
Josh_M: I'd say about 50/50. It definitely isn't a closed door.

Dontavious Jackson...real quiet about OU but always out in public with OU gear on...have you checked in on him lately?
Josh_M: Nope, considering going to his game Friday.

Josh any truth to some of the rumors of LB Caleb Kelly wanting to play with other stud linebackers, for example Malik at UT.
Josh_M: I'm sure he does but I've heard nothing of it being a deciding factor.

WR recruiting:
Josh...lots of talk at one point around Audie Omotosho being a Sooner lean...now silence...any news there? (Note: WR from Plano East)
Josh_M: I can't help but wonder if OU is focusing on Cleveland and Salomon and isn't pushing him too hard. Kind of see what happens there.

Anything going on with the juco WR Massey? He got quite a bit of mail from OU
Josh_M: That surprised me, but so far I get the impression he is a bit of a fallback. Might be a deal where they get a feel for anyone transferring/leaving early etc.

Article on the WR from FL this week indicating OU is the leader. Does OU have a spot for him if he waits until after the season? (Note: Think he means Darnell Saloman)
Josh_M: I think so, seems they want one more WR and maybe Cleveland surprises me...but again, he'd be a surprise.

General recruiting:
Josh - The Vols rival site indicted that Striker was told to chat up the recruits after the game. Buying any of that?
Josh_M: Not at all. OU has NEVER operated like that.

Josh why do you think it's quiet right now with the recruits? Is this typical for this time of year? I was hoping the game would sway but I guess not....
Josh_M: It's always quiet this time of year, OU's focus in season is always the season.
Josh_M: But again I'm hearing some BIG things about that TCU weekend.

Dfwsooner: Who are some recruits that may show some renewed interest in OU if we start out, say 10-0?
Josh_M: Man...you guys and your hypotheticals. I'll go with Clayton and Greg Little.

Could you do a top players at the position that we have any chance at?
Josh_M: Would make a good article, can do!

What our chances with Mecole Hardman now? He retweeted my tweet that has the "Erik Striker to Tennessee fans: Tell your recruits to come to OU"
Josh_M: Better, but still very small. But man, just watch his video...so much fun.
Was Hardman at the game Saturday, I've blanked on that, and have you, or any other sites, spoken with him about his thoughts?
Josh_M: Yes and no.
Comment: You should call Hardeman and see what he thought about the game and OU
Note: Hardman is the #1 “athlete” in 2016 class from Georgia. Likely going to Tennessee

Theo or Hardman
Josh_M: Cruel...probably Theo so that OU can continue to build on California recruiting. I just don't ever buy OU as a force in SEC area recruiting.

Josh, can you list the top 10 2016 guys out there that want an OU offer that don't have one?
Josh_M: With some time? Sure. That's a little bit involved, ask me on the board, will definitely be happy to think on it.

What does each commit need to do in Rivals eyes to get the next star?
No answer

Branton Autry still interested? (Note: Coffeyville CC OG committed to Florida)
No answer

Did you see where Justice Hansen tore it up this past weekend? Any chance OU would re-offer him?
Josh_M: No, that ship has sailed.
Comment: Has a player ever left a school by choice and came back?

Current lineup/player questions/ overall team comments:

Offense:
Josh... Your thoughts on Riley so far.
Josh_M: I like the adjustments, more than anything I can tell how calm he is about his play calling. He just doesn't ever seem rattled or scrambling to come up with some things. I would say I'd like to see more dedication to getting the ball to certain playmakers. I like that he doesn't force the issue but a strong nudge in the direction of Perine, Mixon, and Shepard won't hurt anyone.

Criticisms of Riley's Air Raid run game valid or is it the OL's fault that Perine isn't going off like last year?
Josh_M: OL, what's going on isn't on Riley - though the system is far from built to grind out games/drives.
Josh_M: Still a lot to see. Again hasn't put together even a complete game yet. I'm not ready to say he is taking OU to a Big 12 title.

Perine over/under 700 yards rushing?
Josh_M: Over.

Think Mixon passes over Perine ever? after this year?
Josh_M: Not really, think Perine is just so perfect for what Stoops loves - he can trust SP completely.

What is the real reason Mark Andrews is not starting and not getting enough playing time
Josh_M: Blocking deficiency would be my guess. OU doesn't do the incomplete player thing.

Were you surprised to see Conner Knight in the game instead of Andrews?
Josh_M: Nah, he clearly is their blocking TE.

Breakout player against Tulsa???
Josh_M: Jarvis Baxter, think he may go wild.

Did any receiver besides Shepard impress you this past weekend?
Josh_M: No.

OU may not do the incomplete player thing, but Dede Westbrook’s blocking left me scratching my head Saturday.
Josh_M: No argument from me.

What was Neal's deal on Saturday? His body language wasn't fitting.
No answer

Comment: I think this is the weekend that the offense puts it all together and then starts rolling until the final 3 weeks.

Did Quick see the field Saturday? I did not notice him at all
Josh_M: not that I saw.
Comment: I saw Quick on the field celebrating after the game was over. If that counts.
Comment: Quick was in on ST
Comment: fyi: Quick was on the punt return team

Josh whats up with Michiah Quick? Other than having a deep lineup at WR I don’t understand why he's not out there at all? Has he just completely fallen off the wagon?
Josh_M: I can't help wondering if he didn't get into a little off the field trouble. Nothing serious just kind of slap on the wrist stuff.

Does quick move to Cali or cb first?
Josh_M: haha, I'd say Cali. Something about his situation just feels like bad news coming.

Josh, any reason you see why Mead didn't play last Saturday? Especially considering AD Miller was involved in crucial parts of the 4th quarter?
Josh_M: Stoops said he just didn't work into the rotation.
Comment: I'm certain I saw Mead out there
Josh_M: Stoops said he didn't play. I did see him on the sideline though.

Does the injury of Rodney Anderson affect us anyway at all? Special Teams?
Josh_M: He was their starter on STs so clearly they like him but I doubt it's any irreplaceable situation.

Didn't Rodney Anderson have an injury in HS? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Josh_M: maybe Daniel Brooks?
Comment: Rodney Anderson was injured as a HS junior

Offensive line:
I'm not sure you can blame Bedenbaugh this year for the line struggles. Maybe next year. Takes time for youth to develop.
Josh_M: Agreed.

Through the first two weeks and MMI, seems like biggest issue on the OL is penalties. That correct itself this week?
Josh_M: I wouldn't agree, OL is just been poor in it's assignments, just pure missed blocks. And Alvarez has struggled in pass pro.

Coach BB needs to get the line going, no?
Josh_M: He does, only so much he can do though.

Which OL had the best game last Saturday. Thought St. John looked much better than in week 1.
Josh_M: I thought he made a big step forward. Best game, probably goes to Kasitati.

Is the OLs poor performance inexperience or a talent shortage?
Josh_M: Both, Not a lot of NFL guys on that OL right now but what is there...they are young.

Did OU not make any OL subs during the game? Samia and Farniok only reserves on the participation report and they were on PAT’s.
Josh_M: I think the starting five played every snap - again, it surprised me how little substituting happened.
Comment: Should have anticipated that.

Any guess of when/if Frison might be reinstated?
Josh_M: Would be me throwing a dart at the board. It's just hard to know because it's not just about the football program.

Will Darlington play this weekend?
Josh_M: Don't think there is a sure answer yet. If you MADE me pick, I'd say no.

Defense:
Mike Stoops in the box a plus?????
Josh_M: Certainly seems so to me, good adjustments far less of the familiar and far more of Oklahoma seeming to deal with play to play.

Josh, what surprised you most from the game on Saturday?
Josh_M: How well the DL played, they were truly dominant with the exception of 2-3 drives.

So ya think it is sinking in on Walker... Was a beast Sat
Josh_M: Seems like the light is starting to come on.

josh wouldnt starting be a boost to Walkers motivation? most people would get tired of always being second picked.
Josh_M: I'd disagree, most people need a kick in the pants to know nothing will be handed to them.

Surprised at the lack of PT for frank Shannon?
Josh_M: Nah, agreed with Stoops that they were playing so well you hate to mess with that rhythm.

Will DE Roberts eventually get minutes?
Josh_M: He played some against Akron, can't help but feeling like Ou is keeping him under wraps a bit.

Will Striker and Byrd likely have further playing time penalties this weekend? (e.g. Obo play the 1Q for Striker)
Josh_M: I doubt it.

Parker the third safety right now?
Josh_M: No. 1/2. I doubt he comes off the field before either Thomas or Byrd.

Surprised Orso hasn't played much?
Josh_M: Very much so, I can't help but wonder if they don't talk to him about moving to OT with the numbers that are at the two positions. Have heard NOTHING to back that up, just me speculating.

Special Teams:
Odds coaches make a change in the Punt Return team? Mixon most likely pick?
Josh_M: I'd say 25%. For some reason it just seems unlikely to me.
Comment: I bet Baxter and Stanvon would be pretty good
Comment: I find it hard to believe OU doesn't have any other running backs, WR or CB that can return punts besides Shepard and Sanchez? I'm interested in seeing Baxter or Stanvon taking a swin
Comment: Should try Baxter at PR. He did well there while at Juco (I know, two different levels).
Comment: How about Brooks returning punts
Comment: Didn't Bob say that he might use Mixon on PR

Biggest surprise through 2 games Charles Walker starting to be consistent?
Josh_M: To me it's the play of Austin Seibert. I mean Oklahoma has a true standout on it's special teams.

Could Viney coach special teams? RB’s?
Josh_M: I mean, possibly. But tough to let a guy learn on the job at a place like Oklahoma.

Record:
So josh, got a new prediction for the season?
Josh_M: I'm still going with 9-3.
Comment: So even with Mayfield's performance late, 9-3? I thought he was dat dude?

Who does OU lose to for the 3 losses you predict? TCU, Baylor, and...
Josh_M: A game they shouldn't lose seems to happen about every year, right?

Will it help OU or Baylor most for OU to play against Philip Montgomery’s Tulsa offense as kind of a preview or blueprint?
Josh_M: Great question, I'd probably lean toward OU since they've been on the field rather than just seeing it on tape.

WVU, KSU and Texas...Which presents the greatest challenge to getting 9-0?
Josh_M: WVU. KSU, I love Snyder but he isn't a miracle worker. Texas, I just don't think OU will have trouble scoring the 17 points they'll probably need.

most improved big 12 team from last year is? and also team that got the worst.
Josh_M: Improved = Iowa State Falling = KSU

Other:
Why are they going after all-purpose backs instead of scat backs that fit the system better?
Josh_M: APB = scat backs for the most part.

Comment: Striker is benefitting immensely from Bond coming on.

Still thinking Cody Thomas is the most talented QB to run this System? Why is he THIRD Team??? Thomas wouldn't of went into Tennessee and won that game!!!
Josh_M: Still am.

General:

Is The OU brand becoming cool again?
Josh_M: Need to start landing the guys everyone knows/wants to play with.

Could you add links to the GIFs , odd facts, and other recruit specific stuff to your "weekly how the commits played series?"
Josh_M: I'll look at it, there is only so much, could get a bit cluttered.

Is it feasible to add links to each players profile on the scholarships available sheet?
Josh_M: You mean this? https://oklahoma.rivals.com... If so, their names are links?

When's the next soonerscoop podcast?
Josh_M: I'm pushing for next week. Kind of a recap of the first three weeks and where recruiting is at.

Which Rivals site is the most biased?
Josh_M: SoonerScoop.com

All Baylor drama hurting them on the trail yet?
Josh_M: No, again most kids don't pay much mind to that kind of stuff. There are exceptions but only one who will notice is mom/dad. And so far seems irrelevant.

Didn't Kendal Briles get caught having illegal contact with kW Ketchum? What was the impermissible contact that got him and the WR coach in trouble this time?
Josh_M: I must have missed some of that spending 24 hours on MMI, haha.

Thought on the TX AD situation?
Josh_M: Think Texas made a horrible hire and this was all inevitable from word go. Can't help but wonder if this puts Strong in just an awkward position as he was with Patterson.

Dfwsooner: Joe Duvall going to any Oklahoma HS games
Josh_M: Yeah, he'll hit the road this weekend.
Wheres the new guy?
Josh_M: He missed it tonight, was just telling me he has to set a Google alert.
Comment From JoeDuvall: I'm here. I'm always here.

Josh, surprised with Swoopes(so) and his development at UT? Big believer in his talents coming from high school?
Josh_M: Not at all, Swoopes and the love affair with his game was beyond me. His future was ALWAYS TE or DE.

Comment: Heupel seems to be struggling with a pretty promising QB in Chuckie Keaton

How much was your tattoo?
Josh_M: which one?

Comment: Shy Tuttle is going to be a beast
Josh_M: you tell no lies that guy is a MONSTER waiting to happen.

Thoughts on Andre Johnson? Thought he'd look better
Josh_M: I'm not ready to talk about that performance...

Do you own a motorcycle?
Josh_M: I don't, but will someday.

Josh- you changing a diaper? Lol
Josh_M: man, LOT Of people asking questions...all I can do to keep pace.

Bob excited he didn’t have to face Hill again Akron?
No answer

Is it weird that I read Josh's link to sooner scoop.com like the deep voice guy from the videos???
No answer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News