ADVERTISEMENT

Charming Charlie's Fate Already Decided?

I would be willing to wager a small sum that Charlie is gone Sunday morning unless he wins Saturday. With boosters like Red McCombs publicly saying not to drag it out if the decision has been made to fire Strong, there is going to be pressure on the administration.

I would be willing to wager a small sum that Charlie is gone Sunday morning unless he wins Saturday. With boosters like Red McCombs publicly saying not to drag it out if the decision has been made to fire Strong, there is going to be pressure on the administration.

LMAO. I thought I posted this about 2:30 but evidently didn't hit Post Reply. I've done it before. Geezz getting old is the shits!

Charlie was getting roasted during and after the game Sat. He always seems to be on his belly on thin ice before the RRS. He this time seems to be ready for an icey plunge this year though. His welcome mat was just replaced by a red circle with a white bar across it. Now come the coaching rumors...always some kind of drama with shorthorns.

I was in Austin over the weekend... Stopped in to a watching party with a radio dj I know, and the word they are getting is win out or he's gone... That was before the aOm loss... His only shot at keeping his job is to win out and be little xii conference champs, which is possible... I'd be very surprised if he were to be fired after a 10-2 record and a title...

If he doesn't win out, he's toast. Which is too bad....we don't need a decent coach down there. We have our own problems that won't seem to go away.

Every time I hear his name I think of Charlie Brown getting the football pulled away at the last second before the kick. Maybe that's how they should have done it so that they don't get 3 blocked punts in a row. <grin>

If Strong is fired...it will be interesting to see if Herman selects Texas over an offer by LSU. Big XII or SEC. Stable conference or uncertainty. More difficult path to the playoffs (Bama) or rolling the dice on the RRR each year. Herman has Texas roots, but LSU could be his choice if given the opportunity. It may come down to what Jimbo Fisher's involvement is on the LSU job. I think Fisher will get first shot at the job.

Strong is gone for sure, either right after the OU game (if his team loses) or at the end of the season.
I strongly believe that Texas will pull out all the stops to hire Coach Herman, who would have to see the Texas job as the opportunity of a lifetime. (I do not believe that Les Miles will be considered.)
Texas will aim high and spend a lot in the wake of the Strong debacle. Herman is right in Texas' backyard and is the "alpha male" of potential coaching candidates.

Strong is gone for sure, either right after the OU game (if his team loses) or at the end of the season.
I strongly believe that Texas will pull out all the stops to hire Coach Herman, who would have to see the Texas job as the opportunity of a lifetime. (I do not believe that Les Miles will be considered.)
Texas will aim high and spend a lot in the wake of the Strong debacle. Herman is right in Texas' backyard and is the "alpha male" of potential coaching candidates.

I agree. Especially if money is Herman's motivation. The Horns will out bid LSU. I'm in the minority I know, but I don't think the Texas job is quite as wonderful as it once was, and a lot of that is the Big 12 connection. Getting an opportunity to coach at a major SEC school in a state without any competition for elite Louisiana recruits may be the better job, IMO. Still Fisher may make Herman's decision simple. Frankly, Fisher has a better job now. Again, just my opinion.

I agree. Especially if money is Herman's motivation. The Horns will out bid LSU. I'm in the minority I know, but I don't think the Texas job is quite as wonderful as it once was, and a lot of that is the Big 12 connection. Getting an opportunity to coach at a major SEC school in a state without any competition for elite Louisiana recruits may be the better job, IMO. Still Fisher may make Herman's decision simple. Frankly, Fisher has a better job now. Again, just my opinion.
When I look at what Texas has in terms of money, facilities, stadium, geography, football history and incredible gyno-American talent...I think most coaches in Herman's situation would be very attracted to coaching there.....but I hope you're right.

Hard to believe that Strong went from being on such a high after the ND win, and now he is very much considered playing his last season (or game) at UT. If Strong had actually had a decent QB his first 2 seasons, then his tenure would likely have turned out much different.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
After so many disappointing losses to the horns over the years, a little voice in my head says not to count the horns and Charlie out until 2:30 on Saturday afternoon. Seems like they always find a way to get up for the Sooners and get out of the Cotton Bowl with the W. With our weak D and Charlie taking over the horns' D, this game may be much closer than the 10 point spread that Las Vegas has come up with.

After so many disappointing losses to the horns over the years, a little voice in my head says not to count the horns and Charlie out until 2:30 on Saturday afternoon. Seems like they always find a way to get up for the Sooners and get out of the Cotton Bowl with the W. With our weak D and Charlie taking over the horns' D, this game may be much closer than the 10 point spread that Las Vegas has come up with.

Couldn't agree with you more, Schoonerman. I admit that I am very nervous yet expect a Sooner victory. One thing that has always held true is the fact that the RRR is rarely predictable.....other than "you never know for certain". Boomer!

Don't sleep on Southern Cal for Hermann. Read somewhere that he is from Cali. Didn't know that.
A good chance they will be looking for a new coach.
Not sure if they will/can outbid Texas (LH Network contract) or LSU (SEC TV contract).

While I was in Alabama last week, I have very credible information that Bama's OC has the inside track on the USC job. I laughed so hard I almost pissed my pants. When this guy said that everyone at the table looked at him like he was crazy. Then one of the other guys asked him "You do know that Kiffin was fired at Southern Cal when he was head coach, right"? The guy goes "No". Talk about a Gary Johnson Aleppo moment. I still laugh about it. Surely he was joking but you wouldn't have ever known. Lol

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT