ADVERTISEMENT

CFP poll opinions

Soonerborn59

Sooner starter
Aug 16, 2009
TCU being behind Bama is what we all know an agenda move. Not that any of years past CFP polls didnt have agendas.

Texas being ranked with 3 losses , one to Tech was made to give Bama a top 25 win and nothing more. Hopefully KSU sends those Horns packing this weekend.

i think Tennessee earned the top ranking honestly but believe Michigan should be 4 not Clemson.

Just curious as CFB fans other opinions

Last edited:
Tennesse currently looks like the best team, I guess we will find out this weekend. Michigan and tOSU will work themselves out as well. If TCU runs the table, Clemson runs the table and Bama wins out, those 3 will be in. If either Michigan or tOSU win out, they will be in. That will be your 4. With that being said, there is a lot of season left and crazy things always happen.

Reactions: iasooner2000
The good thing is that most of this is going to take care of itself. The Pac 12 is probably doomed, because UGa so thoroughly stomped Oregon, and the Ducks will likely end up the P12's 2nd or 3rd team. If TCU runs the table, they'll be there.

UTenn deserves to be first, at least until this weekend. If they lose to UGa, their chances will then be out of their hands. If they are a one loss team, with their one loss to Georgia, then they might well get in if the Bulldogs beat Bama in the SEC title game, but if CT wins, then they'll be out behind one loss Bama and one loss Georgia, unless their loss to UGA is tainted somehow.

Michigan-tOSU winner is in. I can't imagine that undefeated TCU or undefeated Clemson doesn't get it. But if either has a loss, then they're out, behind any one loss SEC team.

I won't be surprised if UGa, or UTenn or Alabama loses another game. I don't believe any of the three is a super team, although my view would change if the Vols win in Athens this weekend. I don't believe they will. Bama's team isn't as good as any of their last six or seven teams, Their receiving corps particularly isn't up to any standards in nearly a decade. But it took a variety of negative things at the end in Knoxville for them to get beat. If they make their last FG, they win.

Georgia is good, but not as good as last year.

As for TCU, does anybody think of they'd played at UTenn the same week Bama did, that they'd have won? I'm not sure if Bama is better than the Frogs, but they are sizably better on defense than TCU. If the Frogs beat Texas well, then they should have a decisive advantage over CT.

I believe that by the end of the CCG's, we'll have a pretty clear view of who the four teams should be.

Alabama has become the new Notre Dame...They need 3 losses to get kicked out of the top 10.
I think the cfb committee has gotten somewhat lost.. who can argue bama get's away with aggressive play. Only bama has three four penalty flags could fly on every play. Why is this?

Saw some ESPN SEC Talking Heads the other day talking about the possibility of 4 SEC Teams in the Playoffs. They are so obvious with their agenda its pathetic. 🤣
In some ways I kind of wish that would happen just to get the 12 team playoff kick started almost over night. It would be the perfect storm.

Only SEC fans buy the ESPN crap when they say “ We have no bias towards the SEC”. They are the SEC schools best recruiting tool.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
In some ways I kind of wish that would happen just to get the 12 team playoff kick started almost over night. It would be the perfect storm.

Only SEC fans buy the ESPN crap when they say “ We have no bias towards the SEC”. They are the SEC schools best recruiting tool.

It will be interesting to see if the majority of Sooner fans become big SEC (and ESPN) fans within the next couple of years. Probably not but eventually it will happen.

Last edited:
  • Wow
It will be interesting to see if the majority of Sooner fans become big SEC (and ESPN) fans within the next couple of years. Probably not but eventually it will happen.
Probably will with the younger generation but not so much with many us older fans. I know and my wife would tell you, I will never be one of those fans chanting the SEC SEC crap

Probably will with the younger generation but not so much with many us older fans. I know and my wife would tell you, I will never be one of those fans chanting the SEC SEC crap
Yep, the now younger and new Sooner fans will chant S E C. I’d like to substitute the conference chant after wins with BOOMER….SOONER immediately upon becoming a SEC member. Just like always.

Last edited:
For those of you who think there's some kind of conspiracy or SEC agenda on this Playoff Committee, could you please cite which specific member or members are leading the way?

Because when I look at the 13-person panel, I see this:

Mitch Barnhart, Athletics Director, Kentucky
Tom Burman, Athletic Director, Wyoming
Boo Corrigan, Athletics Director, North Carolina State
Rick George, Athletics Director, Colorado
Chet Gladchuck, Athletics Director, Navy
Jim Grobe, retired, head coach at Baylor, Wake Forest and Ohio University
Warde Manuel, Athletics Director, Michigan
Will Shields, played for Nebraska, owns a gymnasium and sports facility in Overland Park, KS
Gene Taylor, Athletics Director, Kansas State
Joe Taylor, Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics and Community Wellness, Virginia Union University
John Urshell, played for Penn State, PhD in mathematics from MIT
Rod West, played for Notre Dame, Group President, Utility Operations for Entergy Corporation
Kelly Whiteside, Associate Professor, Montclair State University

So Barnhart, the AD at Kentucky, is the only one of the 13 who has direct ties to the SEC, but some of you guys think the other 12 are also in the tank for Alabama and the SEC? Maybe it's Warde Manuel, the AD at Michigan, who secretly loathes his team and wants to see them get screwed out of the playoff.

Reactions: Oklabama
For those of you who think there's some kind of conspiracy or SEC agenda on this Playoff Committee, could you please cite which specific member or members are leading the way?

Will Shields, played for Nebraska, owns a gymnasium and sports facility in Overland Park, KS
Joe Taylor, Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics and Community Wellness, Virginia Union University
Rod West, played for Notre Dame, Group President, Utility Operations for Entergy Corporation

So Barnhart, the AD at Kentucky, is the only one of the 13 who has direct ties to the SEC, but some of you guys think the other 12 are also in the tank for Alabama and the SEC? Maybe it's Warde Manuel, the AD at Michigan, who secretly loathes his team and wants to see them get screwed out of the playoff.

Totally agree. ESPN in the tank for the SEC, I can see, but not the committee. What would be the committee’s motivation? Someone explain why.

Do you not think the CFP committee doesnt have a Alabama problem? History says otherwise. Outside of Ohio State they are the only 2 teams to ever make the playoffs while sitting at home during the conference championships. You cant count ND into that equation because that year while participating in the ACC it was due to covid issues.

No team should ever be a part of the playoffs if your not even playing for your conf championship. In fact I have always believed they ( CCG) should be an elimination game into the playoffs. I have felt that way from year one and my ooinion will not change on it even if it was our Sooners.

I sometimes agree with you on subjects but not so much on this. Its not a SEC problem per say but if you cant see this committee has always had a Alabama - Ohio St bias then your not paying attention to past history. The only difference between the two is the Buckeyes have actually been on the short end of the stick more than Bama has. There is actually a scenerio out there that could also prove this committee does have somewhat of a SEC bias. If and its a huge IF LSU runs the table and gets in with 2 losses over any other 1 loss P5 Champ it may very well reveal there is a SEC bias that exist.

overall Oklabama is correct though in regard to ESPN bias towards the SEC.

Do you not think the CFP committee doesnt have a Alabama problem? History says otherwise. Outside of Ohio State they are the only 2 teams to ever make the playoffs while sitting at home during the conference championships. You cant count ND into that equation because that year while participating in the ACC it was due to covid issues.

No team should ever be a part of the playoffs if your not even playing for your conf championship. In fact I have always believed they ( CCG) should be an elimination game into the playoffs. I have felt that way from year one and my ooinion will not change on it even if it was our Sooners.

I sometimes agree with you on subjects but not so much on this. Its not a SEC problem per say but if you cant see this committee has always had a Alabama - Ohio St bias then your not paying attention to past history. The only difference between the two is the Buckeyes have actually been on the short end of the stick more than Bama has. There is actually a scenerio out there that could also prove this committee does have somewhat of a SEC bias. If and its a huge IF LSU runs the table and gets in with 2 losses over any other 1 loss P5 Champ it may very well reveal there is a SEC bias that exist.

overall Oklabama is correct though in regard to ESPN bias towards the SEC.
So you’re saying OU shouldn’t have played LSU after losing to Kansas State in the conference championship game? Right?

So you’re saying OU shouldn’t have played LSU after losing to Kansas State in the conference championship game? Right?
I had that same belief back then also. My views dont change based on what my team is. OU lost and felt the same way when NU still played after losing in the CCG. The BCS system saved OU and now humans are saving the likes of Bama and Ohio States.

This whole playoff thing was suppose to reward conf champs not runner-ups or teams not even playing for its CCG. Its funny in the end though how many fans will sit here and say NU deserved its shot after losing because I remember many bitching about them getting a mulligan. Funny how fans change views when it affects the team they root for year to year.

Bama fans bitched about OU getting a mulligan against LSU then turned around later when it was Bamas turn saying championships shouldnt matter. Same for Buckeye fans who just might be the worse hypocritical fans in CFB

Do any of you actually believe the B12,P12 would ever get two teams in at 12-1 ? Your kidding yourself if you do

Last edited:
Reactions: Patriotgame
I had that same belief back then also. My views dont change based on what my team is. OU lost and felt the same way when NU still played after losing in the CCG.

This whole playoff thing was suppose to reward conf champs not runner-ups or teams not even playing for its CCG. Its funny in the end though how many fans will sit here and say NU deserved its shot after losing because I remember many bitching about them getting a mulligan. Funny how fans change views when it affects the team they root for year to year.

Bama fans bitched about OU getting a mulligan against LSU then turned around later when it was Bamas turn saying championships shouldnt matter. Same for Buckeye fans who just might be the worse hypocritical fans in CFB

Do any of you actually believe the B12,P12 would ever get two teams in at 12-1 ? Your kidding yourself if you do
I didn’t say you were wrong. Just wanted you to answer the question. You have and I agree. Especially how KSU dominated us. But if you ask everyone this question the next time OU is in that position, it won’t take long to take a count. Just saying.

I didn’t say you were wrong. Just wanted you to answer the question. You have and I agree. Especially how KSU dominated us. But if you ask everyone this question the next time OU is in that position, it won’t take long to take a count. Just saying.
Oh I didnt mean to be snappy and if I came off that way I apologize. I just get tired of the hypocritical fans.

Your right on that last part

No team should ever be a part of the playoffs if your not even playing for your conf championship. In fact I have always believed they ( CCG) should be an elimination game into the playoffs.

We'll have to agree to disagree. My opinion is that the best four teams should be in the playoffs, regardless of conference. Just because a team wins a weak conference in a given year doesn't mean they should be given special dispensation.

With a 12-team playoff, this isn't as much of a consideration. The top six conference champions will get an automatic bid, plus the six other highest ranked teams will get at-large bids.

We'll have to agree to disagree. My opinion is that the best four teams should be in the playoffs, regardless of conference. Just because a team wins a weak conference in a given year doesn't mean they should be given special dispensation.

With a 12-team playoff, this isn't as much of a consideration. The top six conference champions will get an automatic bid, plus the six other highest ranked teams will get at-large bids.
Honest question LV. How do you ( yourself) determine who those 4 best teams are in your opinion? Eye test, data , a little bit of bias possibly.?

Sorry human opinions are not the way to determine that and this is why conf championships should be 1st and foremost.

Just to add at least the 12 team field takes the bias out of half the playoff field. The other 6 will still be based on nothing but opinions

Sorry human opinions are not the way to determine that and this is why conf championships should be 1st and foremost.

This isn't the NFL. There is a huge disparity in the strength of various conferences. Also, the divisions in conferences frequently make conference championship games even more of a joke. It's not uncommon in the ACC to see a team from the Coastal Division get into the conference championship game with barely a .500 record.

Do you think that an unranked Oregon team who won the Pac-12 in 2020 should have been given one of the four playoff spots ahead of Alabama? Wait a minute. Alabama didn't win their conference that year How could they possibly be one of the best four teams in the country and win the national championship? Georgia didn't win their conference last year. How could they possibly be one of the best four teams in the country and win the national championship?

This isn't the NFL. There is a huge disparity in the strength of various conferences. Also, the divisions in conferences frequently make conference championship games even more of a joke. It's not uncommon in the ACC to see a team from the Coastal Division get into the conference championship game with barely a .500 record.

Do you think that an unranked Oregon team who won the Pac-12 in 2020 should have been given one of the four playoff spots ahead of Alabama? Wait a minute. Alabama didn't win their conference that year How could they possibly be one of the best four teams in the country and win the national championship? Georgia didn't win their conference last year. How could they possibly be one of the best four teams in the country and win the national championship?
We could argue this all day and get nowhere. Until you come up with a formula to correctly select the 4 best teams then your telling me you like the human equation over another team who actually earned its way in.

Don’t worry though, the 12 team playoff plan should keep you happy with the 6 selected teams based by opinions of 13 guys in a secret room.

LV

The NCAA Basketball, Baseball, Softball tournaments sometimes produces a Cinderella and so do pro sports. College Football powers to be and many CFB fans don’t like Cinderellas crashing there party which is why they dont want rules like this.

Honest question LV. How do you ( yourself) determine who those 4 best teams are in your opinion? Eye test, data , a little bit of bias possibly.?

I would use the guidelines and criteria that the selection committee uses, just like they do in basketball, baseball, softball and a number of other sports.

LV

The NCAA Basketball, Baseball, Softball tournaments sometimes produces a Cinderella and so do pro sports. College Football powers to be and many CFB fans don’t like Cinderellas crashing there party which is why they dont want rules like this.

The NCAA basketball tournament has 68 teams, so there's plenty of room for Cinderella teams. With a 4-team football playoff, that's not the case. They need to select what they think are the four best teams. Greg Sankey, the SEC commissioner, is one of the leading proponents of the 12-team playoff. If that format had been in existence in 2020, then Coastal Carolina and Cincinnati would have been in the playoff, and you would have your two Cinderella teams.

Just to add at least the 12 team field takes the bias out of half the playoff field. The other 6 will still be based on nothing but opinions

Yep, just like all of the at-large teams selected in the NCAA basketball, baseball, softball and other tournaments. All of those at-large selections are based on opinions also.

LV

The bottom line is that just like the old AP , UPI / Coaches and BCS polls the CFP Committee is a subjective system. You like it and thats fine but for me in the end its time to move forward and use a more objective system. At least the 12 team playoff proposal is a step in the right direction.

The bottom line is that just like the old AP , UPI / Coaches and BCS polls the CFP Committee is a subjective system.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that all of the collegiate selection committees (basketball, football, baseball, softball, lacrosse, field hockey, etc.) are subjective. Yes, you have automatic qualifiers for conference champions, but the majority of the field consists of the at-large teams picked by the committee.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that all of the collegiate selection committees (basketball, football, baseball, softball, lacrosse, field hockey, etc.) are subjective. Yes, you have automatic qualifiers for conference champions, but the majority of the field consists of the at-large teams picked by the committee.
Football system isnt comparable to those others. Its why tougher guidelines are needed for the CFB selection process are needed. The value of actually winning conf championships in FB have been devalued by this committee in the past and the talk once again of the playoffs consisting of 2 SEC teams continues to devalue any conf championship.

They still actually have meaning and purpose in those other sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT