ADVERTISEMENT

Casey Thompson is a Sooner

Wow, never thought I'd see that. We need a good backup as does everyone.

Probably, but this allows OU to redshirt both freshman QB’s this season.
Thompson knows and accepts the backup role he will have and he’s an upgrade from Beville and Booty.
CT, I doubt that the backup will take enough snaps this year to burn a redshirt unless Arnold gets injured and if that happens we would be better off inserting one of the freshman quarterbacks. But that’s just my opinion.

Reactions: iasooner2000
CT, I doubt that the backup will take enough snaps this year to burn a redshirt unless Arnold gets injured and if that happens we would be better off inserting one of the freshman quarterbacks. But that’s just my opinion.
Time will tell.
Thompson, as you mentioned, won’t see too much action because of the tough schedule (outside of Temple).
The two freshmen will play without exceeding the 4-game redshirt rule.

Time will tell.
Thompson, as you mentioned, won’t see too much action because of the tough schedule (outside of Temple).
The two freshmen will play without exceeding the 4-game redshirt rule.
I just feel Brent could make better use of a scholarship. Besides the chances of either of the freshman QBs staying at OU for more than two years are pretty slim unless they get a real opportunity to play. Like you say Time will tell. Buckle your seatbelt.

I just feel Brent could make better use of a scholarship. Besides the chances of either of the freshman QBs staying at OU for more than two years are pretty slim unless they get a real opportunity to play. Like you say Time will tell. Buckle your seatbelt.
I don’t disagree with you about Thompson.
If Arnold lives up to his potential, he may leave early to the NFL after 2025. If that happens, Hawkins as a redshirt freshman may take over if he’s around.
Then there’s Sperry from the class of 2025, who may be the next big QB at OU.

Probably, but this allows OU to redshirt both freshman QB’s this season.
Thompson knows and accepts the backup role he will have and he’s an upgrade from Booty..
I beg to differ, before the injury (3 games) he threw for 509 yards, 5 touchdowns and 5 int's. and all 5 touchdowns were in the first game against Monmouth. Id rather have Booty, or Hawkins taking the backup reps.

Geez, can’t Brent find a much better back up quarterback??
To come in & knowingly be the backup with no chance (barring injury) of being the starter? Highly, highly doubtful. We just went through a similar scenario with Beville. Thompson, Dart, Bohanon, & Purdy were all contacted for that job & all of them turned it down because Gabriel was going to be the starter, period, end of question. Beville was the first one they could find who’d accept that role & with time being very short when he did, they went with it.

He brings experience and leadership for a very young QB room. He didn't pick texass over OU, Rising committed and Riley was only taking one QB. The next day Thompson committed to texass and a few weeks later Rising withdrew and went to texass as well.

Reactions: Jax0221
I beg to differ, before the injury (3 games) he threw for 509 yards, 5 touchdowns and 5 int's. and all 5 touchdowns were in the first game against Monmouth. Id rather have Booty, or Hawkins taking the backup reps.
I regard Thompson an upgrade from General Booty and if Thompson is healthy, he can be a good backup QB.
OU is really just "kicking the tires" with Thompson and Littrell evidently sees some degree of potential in him.
If Thompson gets beat out by Hawkins or Booty or even Zurbrugg for the backup job, so much the better.
I trust the coaches to figure it all out.
Again, I prefer that Thompson did not come to OU. I don't want anymore connections to Casey or his father Charlie.

I regard Thompson an upgrade from General Booty and if Thompson is healthy, he can be a good backup QB.
OU is really just "kicking the tires" with Thompson and Littrell evidently sees some degree of potential in him.
If Thompson gets beat out by Hawkins or Booty or even Zurbrugg for the backup job, so much the better.
I trust the coaches to figure it all out.
Again, I prefer that Thompson did not come to OU. I don't want anymore connections to Casey or his father Charlie.
Can't blame a son for his father's sins.

It’s been well documented that he won’t be on scholarship. So it costs nothing but a bit of NIl.
And I feel like you all are missing the point. In Thompson you’ve got a guy who’s been in the film room for 4 years. A guy who’s got 5k passing yards as a college QB. A guy who’s seen a lot who can mentor the youngsters. And he offers you something we did not have this year. A backup that has been a starting caliber guy.

You hope JA gets through the season and never gets injured. You hope if he does, one of those freshman has shown themselves ready to replace him. But it’s football. Guys get hurt. Freshmen aren’t always ready to replace them.
And another thing people to seem to miss is “injured” can be dinged up for a couple,of series in a key game. It can be a 3 week injury. If JA had a season ending injury, you might well take your lumps and go with a freshman. But what if he is just dinged for a half or a week. Wouldn’t you want someone who’s been there too,finish the game. Or as a security blanket if JA missed a game or 2? Casey is a fantastic cheap insurance policy to get you through a season where we only have 1 QB who has thrown a pass in college that can be plugged in if there is an emergency.

Last edited:
It’s been well documented that he won’t be on scholarship. So it costs nothing but a bit of NIl.
And I feel like you all are missing the point. In Thompson you’ve got a guy who’s been in the film room for 4 years. A guy who’s got 5k passing yards as a college QB. A guy who’s seen a lot who can mentor the youngsters. And he offers you something we did not have this year. A backup that has been a starting caliber guy.

You hope JA gets through the season and never gets injured. You hope if he does, one of those freshman has shown themselves ready to replace him. But it’s football. Guys get hurt. Freshmen aren’t always ready to replace them.
And another thing people to seem to miss is “injured” can be dinged up for a couple,of series in a key game. It can be a 3 week injury. If JA had a season ending injury, you might well take your lumps and go with a freshman. But what if he is just dinged for a half or a week. Wouldn’t you want someone who’s been there too,finish the game. Or as a security blanket if JA missed a game or 2? Casey is a fantastic cheap insurance policy to get you through a season where we only have 1 QB who has thrown a pass in college that can be plugged in if there is an emergency.

Didn’t know he wasn’t taking a scholarship. That changes things. But never been impressed with Thompson’s play. Hope we don’t need to find out who’s right. If it turns out it’s me, I will be the first to admit I was wrong. It’s simply my opinion.

Agree….. and as we learned from the Texas game of 2022, not having a capable backup quarterback can (and did) spell disaster.
Does anyone think that had Gabriel played in that game it would still be a 49-0 loss?
Venables and his coaches won’t let that happen again.

Didn’t know he wasn’t taking a scholarship. That changes things. But never been impressed with Thompson’s play. Hope we don’t need to find out who’s right. If it turns out it’s me, I will be the first to admit I was wrong. It’s simply my opinion.

He would've been MVP in the RRS had it not been for Caleb Williams, when he's healthy, he's a TD machine. Plus his skill set is the same as Arnold, so there's no adjusting the playbook

He would've been MVP in the RRS had it not been for Caleb Williams, when he's healthy, he's a TD machine. Plus his skill set is the same as Arnold, so there's no adjusting the playbook

Unless I’m mistaken, Thompson was 4-6 at Texas as a starter and 4-6 at Nebraska as a starter….and he had an ACL injury while playing only 3 games for Florida Atlantic last year. Not a great history but maybe he can do better at OU if called upon. I hope so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT