ADVERTISEMENT

"Cancel Culture" being mentioned a lot, but in the wrong way IMO

mgroutas

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2005
Here's my short preface. I am a HUGE fan of Cale Gundy. He was the QB at my beloved Oklahoma when I was playing football in High School. I was a big fan then, I was a big fan throughout his long, successful tenure as a coach, and I'm still a fvckin FAN.

Unless I've misinterpreted the pervasive thought and reaction on the board today, I think we are missing the real "Cancel Culture" point.
Today's culture will not allow Oklahoma to go unaffected and undamaged on the recruiting trail if Cale Gundy stays. This would be low-hanging fruit for coaches/recruiters of other teams.

With the information that we have thus far, This doesn't seem to be all about BV going all "cancel culture" on Cale Gundy. This looks more like a mature response on Gundy's part to assess ALL of the possible negative ramifications (mainly in recruiting) and come into agreement with the administration/head coach about the best possible thing for the short, mid, and long-term health of the Oklahoma University Football program. It's just very disappointing to me personally that resignation was the best thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.