ADVERTISEMENT

Bucket Lists

WhyNotaSooner

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2004
Do you have one? Even if it's just a mental list or something you've actually listed on paper. Mine is fluid, as the top five change it periodically and they're in no particular order. I attempt to plan for items but also take the opportunity to scratch things off the list as life checks them off for me.
Having said that, here's my current Top 5,
1. Live long enough to dance at the Grandkid's wedding.
2. See/Visit the Grand Canyon
3. Attend Super Bowl week & game
4. Build out a 38-40 era Hot Rod Truck
5. Visit Australia/New Zealand

Good list there.
Mine is pretty modest really.
Attend a rock and roll fantasy camp. (there's one going down soon with Joe Perry of Aerosmith)
Also, you have one of mine in visiting New Zealand. Always wanted to go to a Kiwi plantation.
See a World Series or Super bowl, I aint picky.
Drive an Indy style car around the track a few laps. That would rock.
Lastly, when they finish all the safety improvements and reopen it, I'd like to navigate the Kings Walkway in Spain. What the hell, while I'm there catch a Bull fight or two.

A heartfelt addendum: Sorry for the redundant sentiment...but, got to have ONE MORE football natty title before I check out and begin decomposing.
Just one more, I'm not greedy.

Last edited:
See OU play in all of the Big 12 stadiums (except that hell hole in Austin).
Would love to see Niagara Falls.
Go to the Indy 500.
Visit Australia.
Play golf in Michigan and Wisconsin along the Great Lakes and some of the desert courses in Arizona.
Have wild monkey sex with Sofia Vergara.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
Good list there.
Mine is pretty modest really.
Attend a rock and roll fantasy camp. (there's one going down soon with Joe Perry of Aerosmith)
Also, you have one of mine in visiting New Zealand. Always wanted to go to a Kiwi plantation.
See a World Series or Super bowl, I aint picky.
Drive an Indy style car around the track a few laps. That would rock.
Lastly, when they finish all the safety improvements and reopen it, I'd like to navigate the Kings Walkway in Spain. What the hell, while I'm there catch a Bull fight or two.

A heartfelt addendum: Sorry for the redundant sentiment...but, got to have ONE MORE football natty title before I check out and begin decomposing.
Just one more, I'm not greedy.
Now I could definitely throw down some Joey Kramer chops if Joe Perry was letting the music do the talking...
I'd like to see Mount Athos, Greece...
Already seen the ALCS in Arlington, but the ultimate for me would be a WS at Yankee Stadium.
Screw the Indy car, give me a mid 2000's F1 car in Imola, Italy.... :D:D:D:D

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
We went to Monte Carlo. But unfortunately is wasn't on race day. But I got a T-Shirt. :D:D

Refurbish a '71 El Camino.
I'm not even interested in it being an SS like most motorheads like. I'd rather put a new engine in one and auto tranny to make it a great daily driver. Automate everything and make it comparable to a new car with a nice sound system.
I know it's weird, but I really love the looks of that generation.
then, go monthly to the Galaxie drive in theater and have the family crawl in the bed to watch a movie.

I'm not even interested in it being an SS like most motorheads like. I'd rather put a new engine in one and auto tranny to make it a great daily driver. Automate everything and make it comparable to a new car with a nice sound system.
then, go monthly to the Galaxie drive in theater and have the family crawl in the bed to watch a movie.
Not weird at all. Had a customer a few years ago who wanted a four dour 56 Chevy. Went to North Carolina to pick up a numbers matching car for him, and then up to Oklahoma and bought a shell of one. For about $45k, he has a daily driver with a modern power plant, 4 wheel disc brakes, traction control, etc., and an all original classic to take to car shows if he so chooses. His daily driver gets 22 mpg in the city, 28 mpg on the highway. It will also do the 1/4 mile in the low 14's... If only he would let me put a bottle in it...

JCon,

I'm right there with ya! I too love cars from that era and am more into the look and design of the vehicle as opposed to the gears and guts (although that matters too!). The idea of taking an older classic and making it "daily driver" sounds like something I would prefer to do as opposed to the guy who only takes his classic car out 6-7 times a year.

Y'all reminded me of something I did in Ft. Worth when I lived there.
I bought an old beater, '56 Chevy for 175 bucks. It was just bad. Leaked oil, burned oil, so after about a month, I found a red, 1961 Thunderbird convertible for 200 bucks and decided to have some fun.
Me and a bud drained all the oil out of the Chevy and just drove around aimlessly until she locked up.
(oh and stink, my goodness, the stench of death)
Took quite a while actually, about 25 miles. Left it on the side of the expressway and never looked back.

It's crazy some of the stuff we do when we're young and bulletproof.:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Section22Sooner
There ya go. Add that to the bucket list. Drive a car without oil until meltdown and abandon on the side of the road....preferably a car not registered to me so I'm not awoken by the 5-0 in the middle of the night.

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
I don't mean to hijack thine thread here but, this anecdote is worthy I think.

Before I moved to Ft. Worth, I was in Lawton.
(I know, it sucks there, I get it, that's why I left when I got permission)
Me and a couple of guys I knew had this caper we did that was just pure fun.
Back in the good old days, you could go to a salvage yard, plunk down 75 to a hundred bucks and drive out of there in an old 53 Chevy or something in that vein. Totally suck mobile, but road worthy to a point. Also, as I recall there weren't any real, enforceable minimum liability insurance required, so that wasn't a deal killer.
So, we'd pool our money, go there on Saturday morning, buy a beater and just abuse the piss out of some poor hapless, sucky mobile all day long.
Ram it into guard rails, trees, spin it out, try to flip it, try to fly it off of dirt ramps. It was really a rush.
When it did fail, we just left it.
Just a larger, more formidable kind of littering.

Ah, good times.:rolleyes:

(also, we had this silly shtick we did. We were 'lawyers' and our 'case' was of original Coors)

Last edited:
Reactions: Section22Sooner
I don't mean to hijack thine thread here but, this anecdote is worthy I think.

Before I moved to Ft. Worth, I was in Lawton.
(I know, it sucks there, I get it, that's why I left when I got permission)
Me and a couple of guys I knew had this caper we did that was just pure fun.
Back in the good old days, you could go to a salvage yard, plunk down 75 to a hundred bucks and drive out of there in an old 53 Chevy or something in that vein. Totally suck mobile, but road worthy to a point. Also, as I recall there weren't any real, enforceable minimum liability insurance required, so that wasn't a deal killer.
So, we'd pool our money, go there on Saturday morning, buy a beater and just abuse the piss out of some poor hapless, sucky mobile all day long.
Ram it into guard rails, trees, spin it out, try to flip it, try to fly it off of dirt ramps. It was really a rush.
When it did fail, we just left it.
Just a larger, more formidable kind of littering.

Ah, good times.:rolleyes:

(also, we had this silly shtick we did. We were 'lawyers' and our 'case' was of original Coors)

It's amazing some of us survived our adolescence. Schoonerman & I had lots of the same silly 'pranks' that would probably not pass legal muster in today's world...

And to think there were some that tried to make a big deal out of Austin Box pissing on the side a building. o_O

Here it is?

1. Live and work in Russia (& marry a beautiful Russian girl) - Did that in 1996 through 2000
2. Attend OU National Championship Game. - Did that in 85 and 00.
3. Attend NBA Finals Game. - Did that in Houston in 94
4. Monaco Gran Prix. - Not yet
5. Do the Boundurant Driving School. - Did that in 2013 after buying ZR1
6. Attend Super Bowl. - Not yet
7. Go to the top of the Alps. - Did that in 2005
8. Attend World Series game. - Not yet
9. Times Square on New Years Eve. Did that 2013 into 2014.
10. Patpong in Bangkok. - Did that as a single man in 89.
11. F1 anywhere other than Monaco. - Did that in Abu Dhabi.
12. Live in South of France. - Did from 90 - 93.
13. Ride a bicycle through France. - Did that 9 different years.
14. Visit the Kremlin and see the Czarist Crown Jewels. - Did that in 1991 and 2014
15. Visit Viet Nam. - Did that in 1995
16. Visit Great Wall of China and Terra Cotta soldiers in Zian. - Did that in 1995
17. Build dream home on Arizona golf course. - Moved in the place in August 2012.
18. Visit Cape Town, South Africa with my wife. - Hope to do that this year or next.
19. And my all time wish from when I was about 15 was to work overseas and visit as many countries and talk to as many people as I could. Starting with places like Paris, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Frankfurt, Gevena, Zurich, Orleans, Rome,Milan, Genoa, Barcelona, Madrid and Monte Carlo to name a limited few. I never get tired of going and never get tired of sitting in a street-side cafe with a kier and watching people pass by. I'm still doing this as often as possible.

I've had the good fortune of building and working on hot rods, old cars and C2 Corvettes.
I live close to Sedona and Grand Canyon and take friends when they come to visit.
I have about 4 large trash cans of golf balls so I have everyday experience with Arizona desert golf.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
My bucket list, for all intents and purposes, has been fulfilled. I have had a good life with a great wife of 32 years, good friends, lived in 6 different states, been to Europe and now live within 6 hours of Bar Harbor, Maine, Cooperstown and Gettysburg, my three favorite places.....pretty boring, but I am content with my lot in life. I would add that my main desire at this time (to complete my bucket list) is to enjoy good health for myself and my friends and family.

Hell, I just want to hang out with Scottsdale the rest of my life. :D

I was thinking along those same lines V; took the words right out of my mouth!

One thing about my old bud Schoonerman, back in HS he had this little Fiat (I think), it was the custom of our 'gang' to get about four of us together & put the car on his front porch in the middle of the night. I wasn't there personally for this one but apparently that little car was seen driving around town with a full size extension ladder on top one night for some caper...

Last edited:
I've been fortunate enough to have marked off all but two on my bucket list. I hope to reach my goal of playing 150 different golf courses. I am 19 away, but beginning July 1st, I will have time to start working on that one again and should play at least 5 new courses this year. As for the other, I doubt that I will ever get to scratch through "Meet Arnold Palmer and shake his hand". By accident, I have met Byron Nelson (in Chicago) and Jack Nicholas (in Hilton Head). But alas, it doesn't appear to be in the cards for me to meet Arnie, who has been one of my idols since I was a boy. Oh, well. That one was a bit ambitious. I am satisfied, but maybe I will add a few more or just begin an after retirement bucket list.

Reactions: Schoonerman
My bucket list is short as I have already done most of the things I really want to do. However, in March, of 2016 or 2017 I am going to hook up my RV here in OKC and head to Alaska. Just take our time, no hurry and no long driving days. I have covered most of the North and West and parts of Canada. I want to head up through Glacier NP to Banff NP in Canada spend some time in Juniper NP and wind around until I wind up in Alaska. I have fished/traveled quite a bit in Alaska but haven't spent a lot of time just exploring around. I want to spend a lot of time in the Denali area. I want to get back in the states before the snow is so deep I can't get back, ha. I am a wildlife and landscape photographer, not a professional though I do have professional equipment.

I love Grizzlies and have been up close and personal with a few. I have a lot more respect for the Alaska Grizzlies than for the Yellowstone Grizzlies. I'm not crazy and don't take stupid chances, but at time have accidentally gotten to close. One time, while in YNP I pulled into a remote isolated area. I stopped my vehicle to mount my 500MM Canon on my tripod. I was at the back of my vehicle tightening up the holder when I heard something rustling. Just across the trail about 12 feet was a Grizzly eating berries out of the bushes. He was so close I couldn't even focus my camera on him and if I could I would only have gotten one of his eyes. He never paid a drop of attention to me. Now if it had been an Alaska Grizzly I wouldn't be making this post.

Last edited:
Here it is?

1. Live and work in Russia (& marry a beautiful Russian girl) - Did that in 1996 through 2000
2. Attend OU National Championship Game. - Did that in 85 and 00.
3. Attend NBA Finals Game. - Did that in Houston in 94
4. Monaco Gran Prix. - Not yet
5. Do the Boundurant Driving School. - Did that in 2013 after buying ZR1
6. Attend Super Bowl. - Not yet
7. Go to the top of the Alps. - Did that in 2005
8. Attend World Series game. - Not yet
9. Times Square on New Years Eve. Did that 2013 into 2014.
10. Patpong in Bangkok. - Did that as a single man in 89.
11. F1 anywhere other than Monaco. - Did that in Abu Dhabi.
12. Live in South of France. - Did from 90 - 93.
13. Ride a bicycle through France. - Did that 9 different years.
14. Visit the Kremlin and see the Czarist Crown Jewels. - Did that in 1991 and 2014
15. Visit Viet Nam. - Did that in 1995
16. Visit Great Wall of China and Terra Cotta soldiers in Zian. - Did that in 1995
17. Build dream home on Arizona golf course. - Moved in the place in August 2012.
18. Visit Cape Town, South Africa with my wife. - Hope to do that this year or next.
19. And my all time wish from when I was about 15 was to work overseas and visit as many countries and talk to as many people as I could. Starting with places like Paris, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Frankfurt, Gevena, Zurich, Orleans, Rome,Milan, Genoa, Barcelona, Madrid and Monte Carlo to name a limited few. I never get tired of going and never get tired of sitting in a street-side cafe with a kier and watching people pass by. I'm still doing this as often as possible.

I've had the good fortune of building and working on hot rods, old cars and C2 Corvettes.
I live close to Sedona and Grand Canyon and take friends when they come to visit.
I have about 4 large trash cans of golf balls so I have everyday experience with Arizona desert golf.

Regarding #9... Where did you pee? I've always worried where very one went to urinate as you know everyone is drinking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT