ADVERTISEMENT

Boykin's status

Okie70

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Oct 9, 2001
DMN reported that in his presser Coach Patterson thought both Boykin and the receiver were "questionable" for OU Saturday but he would know more tomorrow. TCU broadcaster said Boykin had a high ankle sprain which I thought was pretty serious. Guess we will find out soon what the docs say.

Looked like OSU used a one-player "spy" on Boykin. Coach Mike traditionally hasn't taken this approach. Thinking he used an disguised version, like UT did on us, against Tech. If Alexander can't be patient and commits to the play too early too often, as he's been prone to do from the middle, the middle of the field will be wide open. With our LBs healthy, he does have more options though.

Texas used a very versatile spy against us in the RRR. Sometimes they brought him hard. Sometimes, they brought him to the LOS to occupy the center's block so he couldn't help on their big tackle, but loose enough to go laterally if Mayfield scrambled. Sometimes, they just used him as a normal spy, three or four yards off the LOS . And sometimes, they used him on a delayed blitz. And he was faster and bigger than Baker so it worked pretty good.

Then when we played Tech, we used something similar to that against Mahomes and it worked pretty well, though we didn't use it as much. But that, as a change, up was part of the strategy. If Boykin plays Saturday, I suspect we'll do it some, though if he has a high ankle sprain, my guess is that if he tries to tough it out, he won't be able to run much if at all.

Positive we'll use it some in Stillwater.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoonerTulsan
Eh, everything's up for grabs these days...they'll shoot him up with the horse tranquilizer bute if they have to.

He will start...ineffective as that will be.:rolleyes:

Agreed. Boykin will play Saturday night and if he does have a high ankle sprain, his mobility will be extremelly limited. I also expect Doctson to play as well.

OU was going to beat TCU at home this year regardless. They are also going to beat OSU on the road as long as no drastic changes in lineup occur.

Reactions: Schoonerman
The DMN this am says Patterson won't know until Thursday. Says if Boykin can practice he will play. Not as worried about his running now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT