ADVERTISEMENT

billy tubbs

barkingwater2000

Sooner starter
Jan 12, 2012
Anyone else catch the Billy Tubbs reunion special? Really enjoyed seeing all those guys I watched as a teenager.....Tisdale, William Tisdale, Choo Kennedy, Tim Mcalester, David Johnson, Sean Clark, Bo Overton, David Little, Ricky Grace.....good stuff.

We had some talent on many of Tubbs teams, and Billy ball was fun and exciting to watch. Student tickets were cheap too.

I met Coach Tubbs in Lincoln Nebraska in the mid 90's. He is a great person to have a conversation with. Loved the energy he brought to the program, and loved watching his style of basketball back in the day.

Yeah, he was a true character.

Could have won a Jack Nicholson impersonation contest hands down.

Only BB coach in the history of the game that said, "Don't ever pass the ball, just shoot!"
laugh.r191677.gif

Reactions: Tic-Toc-Tic-Toc
I had an embarrassing moment once because of Billy. I was attending a Vegas Night charity event in Oklahoma City and there were several local celebrities in attendance. I was at a table standing across from Billy and he was yakking it up, swearing and being an all around dick, which I thought was very inappropriate given the occasion. Billy left the table mumbling to himself, and as he walked away I said, "Geez, what a jerk". The lady standing next to me who hadn't opened her mouth to say a word all the time that we were playing the tables turned to me and said, "You don't have to tell me, I'm married to him." I must have turned bright red immediately because she quickly told me "it's okay" and laughed. Obviously, I apologized however I don't think she bought it, but she really seemed to have got a kick out it. I didn't. My wife was over at another table and I told her about it....she said, "whatever you do or say never surprises me". With my winnings, I was able to get the highest bid on an autographed basketball signed by many name NCAA coaches including, of course, Billy Tubbs. It's a good story that I enjoy sharing whenever Billy's name comes up.

Re: Couldn't Coach A Lick...

Originally posted by TennesseeWaltz1:

but was an entertaining guy and good for college basketball.
Yep, the 34th all time leader in wins can't coach a lick.

When Billy was hired at TCU he did a radio interview in Dallas. The host asked his strategy for winning at TCU. Billy replied something to the effect of "this year we are going to run and shoot. Next year we are going to run and score."

That guy was a hoot. I'm still not over the 1988 NC game, however. Freaking KU shoots 80% in the first half and the game is tied at halftime.

Still don't know how in the world we lost that game!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT