ADVERTISEMENT

BigXII Defenses

8085sooner

Sooner signee
Sep 10, 2008
When was the last time the BigXII had a Dominate Defense? Looking back at the season, so far. OSU played a basic defense and just kept it simple and let their Stars make plays, LSU and Bama have done this for years.

This new philosophy that's has spread through the league, of complicated sets. With undersized LB's and smaller Dlineman has hurt the game. LSU, Bama, tOSU and any other traditionally good defensive teams have played the BigXII, just fine with Big, Bruising Uglies up front and 235-250lbs linebackers. With DB's getting hands on the WR's within the first 5-10 feet.

Watching the tOSU game, their DB's where not 20-30 feet off the WR. They were able to get a good push up front to slow down the running game and get pressure on the QB. The 240 pound LB's didn't have a big problem clogging up the middle of the field.

So why do all of the DC in the BigXII, seem to have this philosophy? Why are BigXII defenses looking over at the bench a second before the ball snapped?

LSU and tOSU would teach fundamental tackling. Then run an easy to understand defensive scheme and just let his elite talent make plays

Get back to fundamentals and let these 4 and 5 star athletes make plays. Look at Venables at Clemson, he has abandon most of the crap he ran at OU. It use to seem like his defenses were way to complicated but not anymore. The only think similar is the Hybrid, LB/DE.

Last edited:
Texas is the only school in the conference that has the kind of elite home recruiting base to go get the kind of talent you referenced at LSU, Ohio State, Bama, and the rest. The number of elite Oklahoma high school recruits seems to diminish every couple of years.. And with an on and off quarterback, two terrific wides, two journeyman wides, and a running back whom most around here thought was pretty ordinary, OU doubled Bama's sack total and beat them in a major bowl game four years ago.

Not bragging about that, but only making the point that the way the Big XII plays offense, can make it tough on those traditional linebackers, and large athlete run stopper guys with a hand on the ground. Especially if the weather is good (or indoors).

I think A&M to the SEC has hurt OU. They used to be third in the pecking order behind Texas and OU, in the Lone Star state. That isn't the case any more. But I think this Sooner 17 class can change things.

I was reading a Sooner fan post on OB's. He said this about Venables. It was time for him to go. Something about him thinking Tom Wart was a good linebacker. He posted that Venables was the DC when we played USC in Miami. You want to see embarrassing watch that replay again. I would like to have a new DC myself. Plug and play coaches is not reality.

OU best Dlineman and LB's all had traditional size. I think depth does become an issue, the second string guys need to be close to the starters as far as talent goes. It just seem to me that we need to get back to fundamentals and let Elite players make plays.

When was the last time the BigXII had a Dominate Defense? Looking back at the season, so far. OSU played a basic defense and just kept it simple and let their Stars make plays, LSU and Bama have done this for years.

This new philosophy that's has spread through the league, of complicated sets. With undersized LB's and smaller Dlineman has hurt the game. LSU, Bama, tOSU and any other traditionally good defensive teams have played the BigXII, just fine with Big, Bruising Uglies up front and 235-250lbs linebackers. With DB's getting hands on the WR's within the first 5-10 feet.

Watching the tOSU game, their DB's where not 20-30 feet off the WR. They were able to get a good push up front to slow down the running game and get pressure on the QB. The 240 pound LB's didn't have a big problem clogging up the middle of the field.

So why do all of the DC in the BigXII, seem to have this philosophy? Why are BigXII defenses looking over at the bench a second before the ball snapped?

LSU and tOSU would teach fundamental tackling. Then run an easy to understand defensive scheme and just let his elite talent make plays

Get back to fundamentals and let these 4 and 5 star athletes make plays. Look at Venables at Clemson, he has abandon most of the crap he ran at OU. It use to seem like his defenses were way to complicated but not anymore. The only think similar is the Hybrid, LB/DE.
OSU
OSU beats everyone, Mi included of course, by having the deepest bench. Look at this yr, #2 and they are playing wo most of last yrs starters. Ohio is loaded w hs talent and sorry to say, they usually get the ones they want.

Ohio State LB philosophy

Only the MLB is bigger (he plays inside with the big boys)

#5 McMillan (6-2, 243)

The Will & Sam LBs are interchangeable in our defense and mostly play on the edge and in coverage. They are running back size

#17 Baker (6-1, 225)
#35 Worley (6-2, 228)
#33 Booker (6-3, 236)

The key is depth, we are only playing pretty much everyone on our defense 25-30 plays including the d-line & cbs.

You keep it simple, play a big rotation and let them go 100% every other series.

Reactions: JConXtsy
The key is depth, we are only playing pretty much everyone on our defense 25-30 plays including the d-line & cbs.

Says the guy in the middle of fertile recruiting grounds with Urban Meyer as the carrot hanging from the stick.

Texas is the only school in the conference that has the kind of elite home recruiting base to go get the kind of talent you referenced at LSU, Ohio State, Bama, and the rest. The number of elite Oklahoma high school recruits seems to diminish every couple of years..

So are you saying that because OU can't get elite players means OU can't compete on the field with Bama, Ohio State and the rest? I only ask because you have written many posts about the empty bucket of Oklahoma high school talent available for Bob whenever the subject of elite recruits come up. Can't he just go get them from other states? If he can't, then his chances of winning another national championship are pretty slim. I think the issue has been that Bob wasn't recruiting the best type of defensive players.....or maybe he was but couldn't convince them to come to Oklahoma. It's a big problem evidently.

Oklahoma with McCoy and injured Bradford, 2009. Spread offenses have made defense harder for a league that don't play defense.

West Virginia held TTech to 17 in Lubbock yesterday. That catches your eye in the big 12. I looked at their schedule and the previous week was a 17-16 victory over KSU at home. KSU is not a big 12 type offense, but the Tech score is surprising.

OK it's late on Friday afternoon and the weekend is coming. I just have to add one more snarky comment.

Mike Stoops thinks his defense is dominant when playing B12 games. Just ask him.

JC is on ecstasy, so the colors he sees are very vivid, just sayin'...

I don't always watch PT's vids, but when I do, I drink many different liquors and make a good time of it!! You the man, PT.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
OK it's late on Friday afternoon and the weekend is coming. I just have to add one more snarky comment.

Mike Stoops thinks his defense is dominant when playing B12 games. Just ask him.

Yep Mike said Ohio State runs a different offense than the lil 12,11,10 yet he cannot figure out how to stop the lil 12,11,10 offenses either. Makes his comment after the Ohio State loss even more puzzling.

That's because Mike is the worst defensive coordinator in the big12 compounded by the fact he's the head coaches brother. If Sooners win out it will be because of the offense.

When a man could still work, and still would... You know, instead of sitting on his ass posting videos on message boards...

Part of the Big XII problem on defense is how the Big XII plays offense. Everybody has a high tempo offense that can score real quick. That tempo on offense leads to the defense being on the field more. Having an offense that controls the clock helps the defense stay fresh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT