ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Tourney....

sooner_mike

Sooner starter
May 6, 2004
I look at the crowd at Kansas City, and I see nothing but KU fans. is not a neutral floor, why are the other teams not voting this out of Kansas City? It's nothing more than a home game for KU.

I'm not against KC getting its turn, but it should be rotated, IMO. The current contract runs through 2020, & that will have been 11 straight years in KC.

I look at the crowd at Kansas City, and I see nothing but KU fans. is not a neutral floor, why are the other teams not voting this out of Kansas City? It's nothing more than a home game for KU.

I'm thinking KState and Iowa State kind of like it this way. But my guess is that mostly them and WVU and maybe OU and OSU's preference is: Anywhere but somewhere in Texas. And the games are selling out. Not sure that happened in Dallas.

This scenario weighed heavily in the outcome of the OU-KU championship game in 1988. OU not only had to beat a great Kansas team for the third time....it also had to play an extra home game for KU.

No other B12 city can/will support the tournament the way Kansas City does. Not one. The conference is not about to give up the Golden Goose.

BTW, the tournament is held in Kansas City.......Missouri.

Reactions: Schoonerman
This scenario weighed heavily in the outcome of the OU-KU championship game in 1988. OU not only had to beat a great Kansas team for the third time....it also had to play an extra home game for KU.

That's not true. They changed the rules for the tournament hosts and Dallas didn't fit the new rules. Now they're doing something else. Dallas closed Reunion Arena in the summer of 2008. In that same time frame, the Big XII decided that the tournament host had to have two different arenas so that they could simultaneously host both the men's tournament and the women's tournament, allowing fans of a school to see both of their teams possibly, if both stayed alive in their respective tourney. But I think the women's side decided that they didn't want to be tied to the men. And now each tournament is awarded individually. So this year, the men are in KC while the women were in OKC.

The offices of the XII I believe are still in Dallas, so it wouldn't be an issue. Reunion is certainly a worthy site for either, and especially if only one tournament will be coming, it isn't the scheduling challenge that it would be otherwise. OKC only has NBA basketball. KC has neither the NBA, or the NHL. Dallas has both.

Perhaps one complicating factor is that both teams' owners hold joint ownership of the site, not the city. So it might be that you're right and Mark Cuban or the Stars owner prefer to keep their scheduling options open. But I'd doubt that Dallas doesn't ever want the tournament.

Kemper has a long history, going back to the annual Big 8 Tournament, that in the old days was actually held during the Christmas holidays and was completed before the conference games began. I think it was my freshman year that OU won it, with soph Scott Martin and big guys Clifford Ray and Garfield Heard, the key factors. That was back in the days when conferences only sent one team to the NCAA tournament and only once conference held a post season tournament that was their only team sent. The ACC used to have great teams stay home occasionally, because their regular season conference champ didn't go at all to the NCAA's unless they also won the eight team conference tourney.

It wasn't until 1976 I believe, when they NCAA started allowing more than one team from any conference, and that year, the NC game was between the first and second place teams from the Big Ten. Michigan was obviously a worthy runner up. Indiana won it, and I believe that was the last NCAA national champion to be undefeated.

Less than a decade later, conferences started having post season tournaments to replicate the ACC tournament, and send the tourney winner to the NCAA's while their conference regular season champion usually went too. And in that same time frame, they started seeding teams.

If somehow Dallas has deciding not to bid on the Big XII Tournment recently, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a permanent decision. The city makes some money on hosting, and the Arena owners make more money. It's kind of a win - win.

That's not true. They changed the rules for the tournament hosts and Dallas didn't fit the new rules. Now they're doing something else. Dallas closed Reunion Arena in the summer of 2008. In that same time frame, the Big XII decided that the tournament host had to have two different arenas so that they could simultaneously host both the men's tournament and the women's tournament, allowing fans of a school to see both of their teams possibly, if both stayed alive in their respective tourney. But I think the women's side decided that they didn't want to be tied to the men. And now each tournament is awarded individually. So this year, the men are in KC while the women were in OKC.

The offices of the XII I believe are still in Dallas, so it wouldn't be an issue. Reunion is certainly a worthy site for either, and especially if only one tournament will be coming, it isn't the scheduling challenge that it would be otherwise. OKC only has NBA basketball. KC has neither the NBA, or the NHL. Dallas has both.

Perhaps one complicating factor is that both teams' owners hold joint ownership of the site, not the city. So it might be that you're right and Mark Cuban or the Stars owner prefer to keep their scheduling options open. But I'd doubt that Dallas doesn't ever want the tournament.

Kemper has a long history, going back to the annual Big 8 Tournament, that in the old days was actually held during the Christmas holidays and was completed before the conference games began. I think it was my freshman year that OU won it, with soph Scott Martin and big guys Clifford Ray and Garfield Heard, the key factors. That was back in the days when conferences only sent one team to the NCAA tournament and only once conference held a post season tournament that was their only team sent. The ACC used to have great teams stay home occasionally, because their regular season conference champ didn't go at all to the NCAA's unless they also won the eight team conference tourney.

It wasn't until 1976 I believe, when they NCAA started allowing more than one team from any conference, and that year, the NC game was between the first and second place teams from the Big Ten. Michigan was obviously a worthy runner up. Indiana won it, and I believe that was the last NCAA national champion to be undefeated.

Less than a decade later, conferences started having post season tournaments to replicate the ACC tournament, and send the tourney winner to the NCAA's while their conference regular season champion usually went too. And in that same time frame, they started seeding teams.
This is really interesting, but besides the point. OU still had to play for a national championship 39 miles from Lawrence Kansas....and 367 miles from Norman Oklahoma. My point is that it was really an additional home game for KU, whatever the circumstances were.
If somehow Dallas has deciding not to bid on the Big XII Tournment recently, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a permanent decision. The city makes some money on hosting, and the Arena owners make more money. It's kind of a win - win.
That's interesting, but besides the point.
Kansas was able to play for a national championship within a 40 mile distance of its campus in Lawrence.
OU had to do the same thing.....367 miles from its campus.
Bottom line: Kansas got to play essentially an extra home game. Given how the home court advantage is generally more of a factor in the game of basketball than it is in other team sports, I believe it worked in KU's favor.

Last edited:
No other B12 city can/will support the tournament the way Kansas City does. Not one. The conference is not about to give up the Golden Goose.

BTW, the tournament is held in Kansas City.......Missouri.

What opk said. The B12 would be out of their minds to move it out of KC, MO. It's all about the money and they would not sell out in OKC, Dallas, Houston, Tulsa, etc. If we do get a Conf. Champ. game in football, I'm okay with that one moving to different sites, but leave basketball in KC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT