ADVERTISEMENT

AstroTurf and how it's effected the game.......

I don't see artificial grass being necessary except for financial reasons....unless someone can tell me differently.

Water conservation. I don't think there's any reason real grass will persevere with time. Artificial turf technology is progressing at a rapid pace due to water conservation. The turfs that you all are referencing were born to a niche market. True technological advancements don't occur until there's a consumer market, and there's a consumer market in artificial turf now.

I was at a child's birthday party in Burbank this past weekend, and the parents had artificial turf for their lawn. I've been thinking about it for my lawn too, so I commented to my wife how good it looked and felt. She stared at it and stared at it and told me it was real grass. She kicked it, knelt down and felt it, and still told me I was crazy. It was artificial turf. They can make it look and feel like any type of grass these days, and the consumer market for it is still new and taking off.

I just did some quick math -
360 x 120 ft x 1 in/week of water ~ 2,000,000 gallons of water per year required for a football field
The average American consumes about 90 gallons of water per day.

So watering a football field consumes as much water as 22,000 people do in a year. How many football fields do you think there are per 22,000 people? At least one? If so, then we'd save as much water as the entire population consumes by just not watering any football field.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT