ADVERTISEMENT

Arch Manning commits to Texas

You know the more I think about the Manning kid, the more it doesn't make sense. You have the opportunity to play behind any offensive line in the country and you pick Texas? That is just crazy to me.
If OU can land Jackson Arnold with the uncertainty surrounding its offensive line, why not Texas with Manning?
OU returns three starters from an OL that allowed 33 sacks last season and prevented, in part, the Sooners from either putting opponents away early or allowing OU to stay in the game vs Baylor and the second half against OSU. And a scoreless first half against mighty Kansas was further evidence of OL issues.
In my opinion, the quality of the OL for OU in 2021 was far removed from years past. Bedenbaugh will have some work to do this fall, but as always, there's potential talent around to develop.... especially during OU's first two games vs UTEP and Kent State.

Last edited:
Texas brought in probably one of the if not the best recruiting classes for OL last year. They do not have game experience, but with a decent OL coach (which they do have now) they will be much improved by the time Arch is taking snaps.

Reactions: CTOkie
Texas brought in probably one of the if not the best recruiting classes for OL last year. They do not have game experience, but with a decent OL coach (which they do have now) they will be much improved by the time Arch is taking snaps.
Look at OU's commitment lists since 2018. There have been plenty of 4-star offense lineman that either didn't pan out and left or just haven't cracked the starting lineup.
Some of these players remain and I'm hoping Bedenbaugh can elevate their performance to deepen the depth at OL.
Newcomers Taylor and Sexton could contribute this year.

I think Smitty will play an important part in the development and the playing caliber of our OL. OU displayed a lack of strength at a high performance level over 4 quarters of football, even with a healthy rotation.
Agree and that leads me to believe that had Riley stayed, the sense of entitlement would have set in as it has at Texas. I saw traces of this last season. The results would have been similar to what we saw under Riley....winning records but more post season meltdowns against teams that were not decimated by early exits of personnel.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Texas will have two very good QB's on their roster, but so will OU. Arnold coming in next year but Evers, not a 5-star, is pretty dang good. I think he will be the backup this season and will be the starter the year after, with Arnold as the backup.

Texas will have two very good QB's on their roster, but so will OU. Arnold coming in next year but Evers, not a 5-star, is pretty dang good. I think he will be the backup this season and will be the starter the year after, with Arnold as the backup.
The transfer from Pittsburgh Davis Beville is a more proven commodity as far as experience goes and General Davis is said to be a top QB in the JUCO ranks last year.
Evers is a solid prospect and has a chance to contribute.

Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT