ADVERTISEMENT

Another High School bans the American flag at games....Link

It was reported in the Tulsa World this morning that the flag itself in Owasso wasn't banned, it was the metal poles that the police saw as a safety issue that were being banned. It probably wasn't explained well at the time, and hence the confusion.

In 2001, I went to the OU-Kansas State game. It was right after 9/11, and apprehensions about safety were extremely high. I took a small US flag with me to the game, but the security team made me remove it from the 6" plastic stem it was attached to. They cited safety reasons for that as well. I protested a little, saying I thought this was overkill, but I obliged and removed the flag from the stem and they let me in. Once inside, I saw a lot of people carrying/waving flags, and they had theirs still attached to their plastic stem .

I'm just saying I can see how things get misconstrued when there isn't any clear guidance until right before a game, where thousands of people are trying to enter a facility.

Okay, I'm not getting this one and I'm about as liberal and open-minded as they come. I can understand not permitting flags if they were 5' X 6' flags that would block the view of others, but to prohibit them because some school administrator thought they would be used to taunt Latino fans is ridiculous.

Okay, I'm not getting this one and I'm about as liberal and open-minded as they come. I can understand not permitting flags if they were 5' X 6' flags that would block the view of others, but to prohibit them because some school administrator thought they would be used to taunt Latino fans is ridiculous.

Unless it has changed, Latinos are very rarely seen in Owasso or even Catoosa. Maybe it's changed..............

MEDIA BLEW THIS WAY OUT OF PORTION!!! I CALLED SCHOOL AND FOUND OUT SOME ONE HAD A FLAG IN THE STANDS AND PEOPLE BEHIND THEM COULD NOT SEE THE GAME. THE PERSON WITH THE FLAG, GOT UPSET, WHEN ADMINISTRATORS ASK PERSON TO MOVE TO ANOTHER SEAT, SO IT WOULD NOT HIDE VIEW OF FIELD. GO SOONERS!!!!

Reactions: JConXtsy
It was reported in the Tulsa World this morning that the flag itself in Owasso wasn't banned, it was the metal poles that the police saw as a safety issue that were being banned. It probably wasn't explained well at the time, and hence the confusion.

In 2001, I went to the OU-Kansas State game. It was right after 9/11, and apprehensions about safety were extremely high. I took a small US flag with me to the game, but the security team made me remove it from the 6" plastic stem it was attached to. They cited safety reasons for that as well. I protested a little, saying I thought this was overkill, but I obliged and removed the flag from the stem and they let me in. Once inside, I saw a lot of people carrying/waving flags, and they had theirs still attached to their plastic stem .

I'm just saying I can see how things get misconstrued when there isn't any clear guidance until right before a game, where thousands of people are trying to enter a facility.

Times have changed. My little brother used to sell mountain dew (real thing) out of empty Mountain Dew pop bottles at high school games. He was quite popular on Friday nights.......HA!

Today....no glass.........

Reactions: iasooner1
The Owasso thing wasn't about the American flag. It was about the obstruction of view by other people in the stands. I can understand that from a fans standpoint. There are some fans who will bring banners and try to use them during the game. We have had that issue at OU. When you are behind someone with flags or signs in front of you they block your view of the field. We also have some in front of us that give their tickets away to others. The others have kids that will stand on the seats in front of us which also blocks our view.

So, I have no problems with policies that prevent fans from bringing in items that can be used to block the view of other fans.

I do have a problem with prohibiting American flags because it might offend some Mexicans. If they are offended by Americans flying their flag then they need to go elsewhere.

Personally, I am offended by them flying their Mexican flags in the US.

Owasso has enough problems. They cant seem to stay out of the news. They have a healthy gang population at that school. My niece is a Senior and Cheerleader there. I worry about her.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT