ADVERTISEMENT

After pick six, Navy leads Houston 34-20 in the 3rd.

Unlike Army, Navy and Air Force are much more competitive, thanks in part to lesser (but still high) academic requirements, a tour of duty that is generally not in harm's way and a set of priorities that differ from West Point.
I felt in recent days that Houston's road trip to Annapolis could be a trap game. So far, it is.

The team is in complete chaos. If you watch or read any of the pregame interviews with both players and coaches. About half of the questions are about Herman leaving

Taken out by a service academy. They had a few close games last year and should not be in the playoffs anyway, just Power 5 teams.

I wouldn't put this game on Herman's shoulders. It's not his fault the players didn't execute or make plays.

Oh what was I thinking. Of course, it was the Houston players just not executing as they were taught. Coaching doesn't come into play.....or is that just at OU. Thank you. Billy for setting things straight. "Sooner or later I'm going to have admit that I am a moron." :eek:

I remember in the days of my youth, during middle school and again my freshman year... I was the punter and kickoff guy, and on one occasion I was punting from our own 15 with a 35 mph (50 mph gusts) north wind at my back. I just remember kicking it as high as possible... It was downed at the 7... I doubt the wind really helped though...

Reactions: BillyRay
I was sitting in O'Connells at Campus Corner today having a brew and some queso and wings when I saw the score of the Houston game,I was not surprised one bit. I checked out the new Stadium renovations its gonna be very nice when completed. Although it was not gameday in Norman we still had a great time.

My point in the Herman post is just a counter to all the talk about how great he is, and how we should fire Bob and hire Herman. I'd say that was a bit premature. And said so before the loss.

Houston was missing their best player in the secondary. And they had some turnovers. And they were playing a tough road game. They are more talented than any service academy team, but the difference is less with Navy than the others. But those option offenses are a pain to defend, especially with a key player missing.

Of course, we had six or seven key defenders missing today, and all I read on this site, especially on the premium side, is how MStoops needs to be fired tomorrow. I disagree with that.

These days, if you're playing against a good offense, and you don't give them great field position, you're doing pretty well to hold them to 30. Today, Texas got two turnovers in or close to the red zone, and had another where 30 gift penalty yards got them some more. I thought OUr D did a great job to hold them to 13 in the first half, after a horrible no call cost us an interception returned deep, and OUr offense was having a hard time getting going. And we had so many five play or less possessions, sending them back out there.

Texas didn't run for much, until OUr playing every snap LB's and DB's got a little gassed in the fourth.

We gave up fewer points than Houston did. I'd like to keep what we have.

Houston suffered a bad loss in several ways yesterday and after losing to Connecticut (without Ward) last year and losing to Navy this year, Houston's image as an elite team has faded considerably and virtually overnight....and its hope for Big 12 membership took a step backwards. UH has, or had, no margin for error, similar to Louisville.
Herman may or may not be the coach everyone sees as a savior at places like Texas, LSU or Notre Dame, but he may have to leave Houston if there's no Big 12 admission to a place where he can recruit better. Herman's body of work at UH so far has been excellent considering recruiting and the proximity of the school....Herman is really painted into a corner in the long run. Houston's the ugly duckling of college football. No one wants them and no one expects a dynasty to ever hatch in a huge city that has become such a melting pot for diversity in terms of culture and in terms of different fan bases coming into the area. The UH fan base has always been overshadowed by the Texas and Texas A&M fan bases.

As for OU, 2016 is a transition year with so many new and/or unproven players on the roster and with only a handful of prime time performers. No preseason prognosticator that I heard or read from detected OU's glaring issues before the season, and there were and are many. Everyone was blind to the fact that last year's final four run was made possible by 1, winning the championship of a weak conference and 2, beating three teams down the stretch whose starting QB's were sidelined. There was the loss of 5 linebackers, Sterling Shepard and a secondary and offensive line that had to be patched up. Sure, it was a nice season for OU and it gave all the fans in denial something to gloat about.
But yesterday revealed to me that there is untapped talent that can make its presence felt as OU goes forward....and there is help on the way in 2017.
A good, hard fought win over its biggest rival, with so many players hurt both before and during the game (9 total) and so many mistakes made and poor officiating, OU found a way to survive against a desperate and focused but very weak opponent.
OU's issues go well beyond just coaching right now....although there is a legitimate concern there. OU is in a weak conference that seems to get weaker each season and as far as I'm concerned it's time to move elsewhere. The Big 12 is highly unlikely to bring in two elite members, yet it won't be relevant maintaining its current format.

Okay. I completely missed that anyone was calling to fire Bob Stoops and replace him with Tom Herman. Herman might not even be available when Bob decides to hang it up. Actually, he may not even be considered a great coach at that time or he could be like Saban and be ungettable. You never know. Herman is going to get his chance soon but not at Oklahoma!

Okay. I completely missed that anyone was calling to fire Bob Stoops and replace him with Tom Herman. Herman might not even be available when Bob decides to hang it up. Actually, he may not even be considered a great coach at that time or he could be like Saban and be ungettable. You never know. Herman is going to get his chance soon but not at Oklahoma!
Stoops' tenure here has been discussed often and after 18 years that's understandable. When has a coach with such a lengthy stay at one school NOT received speculation on how much longer he will be around and/or if he has taken the program as far as he can ? Wins, losses, fumbles, interceptions, bad calls, missed field goal, dropped passes, great performances, injuries and the opinions of fans and media are part of the game. Deal with it. What's the alternative ?
As far as I'm concerned, people calling for a coach's removal....whether I agree or disagree....are not upsetting to me. I have my own theories, some of which are influenced by other opinions, but I'm not going to harp on how my own life experiences make what I believe as "gospel" and that everyone else's opinions are wrong.

Stoops' tenure here has been discussed often and after 18 years that's understandable. When has a coach with such a lengthy stay at one school NOT received speculation on how much longer he will be around and/or if he has taken the program as far as he can ? Wins, losses, fumbles, interceptions, bad calls, missed field goal, dropped passes, great performances, injuries and the opinions of fans and media are part of the game. Deal with it. What's the alternative ?
As far as I'm concerned, people calling for a coach's removal....whether I agree or disagree....are not upsetting to me. I have my own theories, some of which are influenced by other opinions, but I'm not going to harp on how my own life experiences make what I believe as "gospel" and that everyone else's opinions are wrong.

"Double Like" post!

Again, when I posted that, I'm combining posts that include the premium side. There is plenty of that there, with various insults about Bob. More about Mike. If you haven't heard of OU fans calling for OU to pursue Herman, then you must have a lot of people on "ignore."

Reactions: Oklabama
This is Herman's 2nd season at Houston. He is doing all of this with mostly "hand me down" talent from the previous coaches. So again, it's not his fault the bulk of his roster are from the previous staff that recruited kids that weren't able to execute and/or make plays. In fact, the previous coaches were prolly all a tremendous staff as well who should have shouldered zero responsibility for the players just just making plays. If Herman ever leaves then Houston should rehire the previous staff and offer a formal and public apology to those coaches that they were ever fired in the first place. The powers that be at Houston should have learned by now that they should not have held the coaches responsible for subpar results on the field, and it was players lack of execution and/or lack of making plays was the real culprit for failure.

Again, when I posted that, I'm combining posts that include the premium side. There is plenty of that there, with various insults about Bob. More about Mike. If you haven't heard of OU fans calling for OU to pursue Herman, then you must have a lot of people on "ignore."

I don't have anyone on ignore and I'm not a premium board member, but I do now recall that you mentioned some premium board members calling for Bob's job. I forgot about that. Sorry. And I do know that Herman's name has been mentioned as a FUTURE replacement for Bob although there was a frequent poster who incorrectly suggested that a few of us had indicated that Herman replace Bob after the Ohio State game, i.e., the favor of the month choice. That was a pretty stupid assumption. Your reply was warranted. Good post, but the critical remarks about Bob and Mike were also warranted IMO.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT