ADVERTISEMENT

AARON RIPKOWSKI 6th Sooner drafted. Goes to Green Bay.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
I have a best friend in Plano and a best friend in Fort Worth and they both are from Milwaukee. I know what I think about Rip. But tell me what I should tell them about him. I'm thrilled for Aaron Ripkowski.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
Billy, do you have more than one child? If so, which is your favorite?

None of my kids is my favorite. I have two great friends, with whom I'd trust any financial or important issue in my life. I never had a brother. They are my two adult brothers. Very different guys. But both are huge Packer fans. One hates the Cowboys. The other, not sure whom he'd pull for when Dallas plays GB.

So I call one my best friend in Plano and I call the other my best friend in FW.

It was a hoot last week when they met for the first time, the day after my surgery. Both laughed earlier today that the Packers had drafted a Darrell Johnston clone ... former walk-on fullback ... named Ripkowski. And I told them that if they saw guys standing around in jerseys and tee shirts, he'll be the one that looks most like a fullback.And I expect Aaron will be on every special team that the Packers have, except field goal defend.

I think they've got a fantastic pick up here. I am a bit surprised (not totally because of the position he plays) that he didn't go a little earlier. He was great at getting out there and getting in front to block and always good for a yard or two when he carried the rock.

Plaino,

You could say something as simple as Rip >>>>>> Kuhn.

Kuhn is GB's fullback and is getting up there in age. One yard and a cloud of dust the few times they give the ball to Kuhn a game. He is an OK lead blocker. Despite being a high-scoring offense, GB struggled to punch it in on the ground. Look no further than the NFC Championship game against Seattle. GB settled for A LOT of FGs. GB needed a blocking back.

Rip is simply bigger, stronger, and nastier than Kuhn. He will open holes for Lacy and company. He did it with double and even triple teams at OU. Rip can also catch out of the backfield. Kuhn didn't do this. Knowing GB's system, Rip will also play on special teams.

If you want to rub some mud in their eyes (I am from up there too), remind your friends of Perine's record. :D

Jason

Reactions: K2C Sooner
The thing about Kuhn, is that he's a poor man's Mike Alstott. He is a fullback type guy, but he is a ball carrier more than a blocker. I think Kuhn is a better runner than you described. Aaron isn't a great runner. He's an okay receiver.

Baller. That's all that needs to be said. He doesn't have great speed and isn't overly athletic. He's just a 'baller'. If he stays healthy, with his attitude & hustle, he'll earn a paycheck for quite a few years in the NFL. The Packers were wise to select him to fill their need.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT